The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hanging photos, ribbons and halters

Has anyone ever had something made like this?

Want to have a large box that will hang from the wall like a picture, glass and wood, that will hold a photo or two of a horse, perhaps a halter and a few tri-colors. Retiring a good horse, want to showcase her memories for me in the house so to speak. Have seen this done but want to find a photo so I can show the person who ends up doing this what I want it to look like.

Is there someone out there who does this for us horse show nuts?

The phrase you're looking for is "shadow box" and if you google image search you'll find lots of examples. Not all equestrian, of course, but you'll get some good ideas and have a way to describe what you want done.

Here's an example: http://media-cache2.pinterest.com/up...lBdc7e13_b.jpg

Amazon and other places sell empty boxes. A framing store can help you, too, although it's kind of pricey. We looked to make a shadow box with some antique baseball stuff and it was going to cost a fortune.

Yes, that is the idea. Do you think they would carry something like that at Michael's?

If I could find the wood part I could line it in velvet.

Michael's around here usually have a lot of shadow boxes . My in-laws made some for my hubby and his sister the other year that were prob 2ft-3ft square-ish or so. Good luck, and maybe post pix when you're done?
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

I had a portrait-like photo of my DD's favorite horse enlarged framed with his halter plate and a plait from his tail. The local frame shop did a mat with separate openings; it looks really nice.

Michales defiantly has shadow boxes. Adding a shoe from the horse is a nice touch.

I used an old 6 pane window to make an antique "whip rack" for my hunt whips. I put some photos on each pane, some ribbons in another etc and then found some neat old cast iron hooks to hold the whips. Looks really neat!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

If you go to Micheal's, be sure to find a 40 or 50 percent off coupon! And they are often on sale.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Brigit View Post
    I used an old 6 pane window to make an antique "whip rack" for my hunt whips. I put some photos on each pane, some ribbons in another etc and then found some neat old cast iron hooks to hold the whips. Looks really neat!
    Oh my gosh! That sounds awesome! What a neat idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Brigit View Post

Sounds beautiful! Pictures please?

Here's a pic of the old window pane whip rack thing I made.

http://i50.tinypic.com/2hgd05x.jpg
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

I made shadow boxes for my old horses with their halter and a ribbon that we won together. Got the shadow boxes from Michaels. They only carry one size that's really large enough for a halter (I wanted mine to lay flat with the name plate out) and it has a picture of a racehorse on the label actually!

One logistical tip...the tiny piece of velcro that comes with the shadow box is no where near close to strong enough to hold a halter! My husband used a hammer and nail to put a few holes in the board and then we got some thin wire to hold the halter in place. You can't even see the wire when it's done. Beware though...the backing of the box has an "up" side because of the location of the hanging hardware (like any picture frame, duh) which we did not notice before undertaking this project. My halters are still leaning against the wall in my office because we haven't mustered the energy to redo the one we messed up...

I did one with my first horse's bridle (plus a photo, lock of mane, a shoe, and a couple of engraved plates). I got my shadow box at Michaels too.