The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Affordable trainers insurance????

I haven't posted here in quite a while. I have been semi-retired the past 4 years, raising my two young children. I have been waiting with much excitement to get back into teaching. But things are different now. I no longer live in a large city, but now am in a very rural area. Which is wonderful for raising my children, but not so great for an emerging business.

The first item on my list of things to do is to acquire Professional Insurance. In more than 20 years of teaching & training, I have not ever had anyone seriously hurt, broken bone, or a claim against my insurance. This is not luck, but rather knowing riders limitations & safety as my #1 concern. But as I am looking into another policy, I notice, I just cannot afford it, as I am just starting out.

Does anyone know of a company that has more reasonable rates?? I have used Equisure for years. Their quote for 0-15 riders was $725.00 a year.

I live in a poorer community, so it is going to take longer for my business to grow. I have adjusted my rates from $35 to just $20 per lesson. (1/2 hr)

I do not need a fancy policy right now. I just want to start bringing the joy of horses to the children in my county. I am looking at only teaching 3-5 kids until I can get the word out more when they are back in school.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank You!
    (]~~[) Amy (]~~[)

* I hope I never get too old to ride, despite the injuries and pain, because I cannot imagine not doing the thing I most enjoy in my life.*

I have no experience, but feel that the rate is probably reasonable? Does it cover your facility, or you at other facilities?
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

This coverage is for anywhere I teach. But when I look at the numbers, it looks grim. For so few students, there has to be a more affordable option.
    (]~~[) Amy (]~~[)

* I hope I never get too old to ride, despite the injuries and pain, because I cannot imagine not doing the thing I most enjoy in my life.*

Try Goetz insurors Pam Hobbs direct line is 800 247-7106

I think equisure is supposed to be one of the more reasonable, but you could shop around. Your quote is in the right ballpark, though.

The problem you describe is not an unusual one, this is why many smaller instructors are uninsured. At $20/lesson, you'd have to teach about 36 lessons just to pay for the policy. I think it might be worthwhile to reconsider your business plan. It may be that $20/lesson is not a viable rate for you to charge, or that you are going to need to figure out a way to attract more students to make that charge viable. It may be that your location does not have the clientele to support a viable riding lesson business. In that case, your time might be better spent at another job.