The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pulled shoe at horseshow question

Just got a call from my rider who has my young horse at a horseshow - she was riding in the warmup arena and before she realized the footing was swampy, the mare pulled a shoe.

Mind you, it is about 95 degrees here and there has been no rain at all, so the ring was flooded due to overwatering - do I have any recourse with the show management on the cost of resetting the shoe? The horse was just shod this past Friday!

A little aggravated to spend $ 50 to tack on a shoe due to poor facility management!

Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by NoobieDoo View Post
    Just got a call from my rider who has my young horse at a horseshow - she was riding in the warmup arena and before she realized the footing was swampy, the mare pulled a shoe.

Mind you, it is about 95 degrees here and there has been no rain at all, so the ring was flooded due to overwatering - do I have any recourse with the show management on the cost of resetting the shoe? The horse was just shod this past Friday!

A little aggravated to spend $ 50 to tack on a shoe due to poor facility management!

Any thoughts?
    Good luck with that.

Any thoughts?
    You have no recourse. Nor should you. If you are that worried about pulling a shoe, you should not ride in the ring.

I once pulled a shoe in the first round of my amateur division. Had to ride down, get it put back on, and ride back up for my second class.

Not the show's fault. If I was gonna freak out about pulling a shoe I shouldn't have been in the ring.

I would also throw in that, it would have to be a certain footing and a certain wetness for it to pull off a shoe, which I highly doubt it was, may have helped, but if the shoe comes off in wet arena footing that easily, the shoe wasn't put on correctly.

any recourse would/should most likely be from your farrier. At least ours does a replacement free depending...

do I have any recourse with the show management on the cost of resetting the shoe?
    You just made a funny.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

The shoe has been on less than a week and your farrier won't put it back on for free?? Seriously?
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    You just made a funny.
    Well, I'm glad I made you laugh My question wasn't meant to be retorical but in retrospect, I can see that it is.

The shoe was put on properly and I'm familiar with the footing in that ring as they've had to close that ring at other shows because of overwatering and it is quite deep enough to pull a shoe! I've told my rider to stay clear of that one in the future but I can't help but be aggravated....

My farrier would replace the shoe without issue but the horse is at a show and we had to use the show farrier.

It's likely that the shoe was replaced at the show. By the show farrier. Which is pricey

If the horse was brought home with one shoe off, then, yep, I'd be asking my farrier if he would tack it back on for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    So much stupid, so little time.

Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    You just made a funny.
    I giggled too. Not at you OP, at this.

Also...not sure I'd be showing at a place with shoe sucking arenas. Questionable? Tendons etc are more pricey than a shoe.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    I giggled too. Not at you OP, at this.

Also...not sure I'd be showing at a place with shoe sucking arenas. Questionable? Tendons etc are more pricey than a shoe.
    Oh definitely! Tendons are much more pricey! This was one of the only ones available for schooling, unfortunately it was swampy but the show rings are not generally a problem.

Oh well, what's another $$ :headpalm:

Anyone else have issues w/ this at the show? If since it's apparently a rated show why not file a complaint w/ steward or fill out one of the show evaluation forms. The management won't necessarily know to be less zealous about watering if no one complains that it's an issue. And while some of us chuckle at the question in your post, it might not be that unreasonable for you to ask show management w/farrier bill in hand and nicely explain the situation and explain it w/alot of honey.. you might get a credit on your bill?

Can she complain and mention it? yes definitely. Her question pertained to being reimbursed, which shows just don't ever do..

Geez. No, show management is not responsible for this. If you don't like the condition of the arenas, don't go to their shows. Or don't ride in the arenas that are in poor condition.

My horse backed into a DRAG at a horse show that was sitting idle/unhooked near the ring. My trainer exercised poor judgment in getting on right in front of the drag, but, really, the drag should not have been just sitting there where it was either. It was pretty much everyone's fault except for mine, but when it comes down to it, I am still responsible for whatever happens to my horse. I chose to let him go to the show, I chose to let the trainer ride him, etc., etc., etc.

That adventure cost me $1,800 in vet bills PLUS I still had to pay my stall fee and other administrative fees to show management (about $300). Be glad your horse just pulled a shoe.

You've said you know what the footing is like at the show, and you made the decision to show there. You even know the footing specifically in that ring prior to your rider schooling there and pulling a shoe. So how is it the show's fault? Its there right to water the ring as much as they want, and your right to abstain from a ring or a show if you know the footing will be bad.

If you got it tacked back on for $50 at a RATED show, you got a sweet deal! I had to pay $80 for one to be tacked on at one of our larger NON-rateds last year!

The shoe was put on properly and I'm familiar with the footing in that ring as they've had to close that ring at other shows because of overwatering and it is quite deep enough to pull a shoe! I've told my rider to stay clear of that one in the future but I can't help but be aggravated....
    I'd be blaming the rider based on what you said. However I would not look to anyone for reimbursement.

I have had that happen. My only issue was that I had to scratch classes waiting all day for the "show farrier" who yes, charged $50.00 to put the shoe back on. Had a trainer try and take my place with the show farrier to have her client's horse shod first. I called the show farrier, my call, my horse goes first.

Showing, I sometimes wonder why I love it !

And if it was not overwatered youd be complaining that it was too dusty....Strap up your big girl panities and get over it!!! It's people like you that have this country in the current shape its in...Its ALWAYS somones else' fault!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HoofaSchmigetty View Post
    And if it was not overwatered youd be complaining that it was too dusty....Strap up your big girl panities and get over it!!! It's people like you that have this country in the current shape its in...Its ALWAYS somones else' fault!!!
    Really? Maybe it's people like you.