The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Tack of the Day

I had to google bull snaps and trigger snaps to figure out which ones were which. But I thought of this thread when I saw today's TOTD item.

http://www.tackoftheday.com/ProductD...06%2D21%2Dequi
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I train the horse to tie by training them to give to pressure, not by tying with unbreakable equipment.
    Yay! A common-senser. Why anyone would want to TIE a horse that doesn't know how to yield to pressure is beyond me --- that's a wreck waiting to happen.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    You just have to learn to open them with one hand. It is not really hard.

Do you mean Trigger Snaps?
    Yes, that it! I never see them in the hardware stores up here.

As to opening the bull snaps -- I have arthritis, and snaps of almost any type can be difficult for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
    The way I deal with them is to put another big brass snap on the end attached to it. If there is ONE THING I do NOT need in a clinch it is needing to use TWO HANDS!
    That's what I noticed someone had done at one of the 4 tacking stations in my barn, last week. It now sports bolt snaps attached to the bull snaps.

My own solution is to reverse the crosstie and put the panic snaps at the halter.
    Last edited by altjaeger; Jun. 22, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

2 hands? i open it with one hand just fine.

I prefer the bull snaps to bolt snaps or scissor snaps. And I hate it when the quick release snaps are on the halter side! If a horse is thrashing on the end of the line like a hooked bass, it really is not safe to mosey up to their face! I have no experience with turtle snaps.

I have no problems opening bull snaps with one hand unless I am wearing mittens. I find them more secure for lead ropes, and they do not break (I prefer the rope to break, not the snap, and tie accordingly with some twine). They also don't wear out so quickly and don't usually rust shut. I have several bull snaps that outlasted their ropes (and are older than I am!), and are waiting on some new rope or twine. I have had trigger snaps break (when a hose pulls back) and it is not fun!

What I really want to try for tying is The Clip by Schneider's. It looks really neat! http://www.sstack.com/stable_trailer...ties/the-clip/

They used to make me cry when I was a kid. Impossible to open when you are 6!

1 members found this post helpful.

I never can open them and especially in an emergency...forget it

A friend of mine ripped her thumb right off when she got caught in one, (retrieved it from the floor of the trailer, put it in a baggie with some ice and DROVE HERSELF to the hospital, where the reattached it... Shock and adrenaline do have some uses,) so they have no place in my barn or trailer.

2 members found this post helpful.

I despise them!!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    A friend of mine ripped her thumb right off when she got caught in one, (retrieved it from the floor of the trailer, put it in a baggie with some ice and DROVE HERSELF to the hospital, where the reattached it... Shock and adrenaline do have some uses,) so they have no place in my barn or trailer.
    WOW! That's crazy. Glad your friend was able to get herself to the hospital. So scary!
    I also dislike bull snaps. They're too heavy and hurt a lot if you manage to catch yourself on the shin with one...since I'm not overly graceful I've had it happen multiple times, lol.

Not to mention, when the ring on the halter breaks and the bull snap comes flying back and slaps you in the face. No bull snaps in my barn.

I do not like bull snaps either.
    Too difficult to open if there is an emergency. I have to put my thumb completely through the hole and then push it open, and one just can't do that safely if a horse is freaking out about something and you need to get them unclipped.

I much prefer the quick release clips and the standard "dog leash" clips.

Maybe I have the hands of a sloth, but when I need to attach a lead shank quickly, I just can't! Now, I can open with one hand in a nonemergency situation. In general, I avoid b/c I've been hit with onetwomany flying bull snaps and they freaking hurt.

When I halter broke an angus heifer for my VT beef production class (I'm not kidding, it was extra credit), I had a crappy nylon rope cow halter with built-in lead rope. No bullsnaps anywhere.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Default You seem to be confused!

It seems that you are confused and fed up of something. Cool down baby, everything would go alright.
    Legit Paid Online Surveys Review

anboy you learn something new every day - I put the emergency release at the halter and the bull snap (didn't even know what they were called before this thread) at the wall. Very rarely do our horses do something but it is almost always the leather halter that breaks.

Also learned about turtle snaps today - had to google them - never saw them before.

Interesting. Bull snaps don't bother me because I rarely have to deal with them

We have a horse that has learned to whip his head in a way that he can break a regular snap. He doesn't go anywhere. It's purely entertainment for him. He can't break the bull snaps. They are useful in certain situations but I never use them with out a way to release the other end if needed.