The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like bull snaps! I wouldn't say I like them any more than bolt snaps or the ones with the tab, or panic snaps for that matter, they all have their uses in my barn. I think they are easier to open than a lot of bolt snaps, the bulls don't seem to rust nearly as fast as the bolts do.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Yay! I'm not alone!

Beentheredonethat, we seem to be unique in this thread in that we DON'T want anything to break if a horse pulls back?
    Well, I hope not! It doesn't take much experience with horses that pull back to realize what a disaster it is if the halter or snap breaks, and any horse I've had that "accidentally" broke the snap once continued to do it until I put on something that wouldn't break.

Love 'em, and won't use a lead that has a trigger snap if I can avoid it. Now on my stud shank, yes that's a trigger snap. I also changed my lunge line snaps to swiveling trigger snaps but only because the bull snaps were too heavy for that particular piece of equipment.

But, give me a bull snap any day of the week. I have no problem opening them and find them more secure. Never had one rust on me or twist, either. Have had a couple trigger snaps have the trigger part break off and boy that sucked!

Again, I could understand someone who likes them wanting cross-ties with them on each end, but why do cross-ties come with panic snaps on one end and bull snaps on the other? Why not panic snaps on both ends? What good does the bull snap strength do you when you have a panic snap on the other end anyway?
    Yes, I know how to spell. I'm using freespeling!

freespeling

While I don't love them (I do have a @#*$* of a time unhooking them sometimes), I do like their strength for those suckers who pull back.

I agree that their strength is void if the trigger snap (or whatever snap) on the other end isn't as strong.

I prefer the bull snaps when you tie on the other end (i.e. bull snap on halter, no snap on the other end).
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Um, I LIKE bullsnaps. Am I the only one? They hold up better than trigger snaps. I have no problems opening them, even with one hand. I even get frustrated because they're hard to find.
    Yes yes yes!

I love bull snaps and much prefer them.

They have the added bonus of being hated by so many too. Best way to not have your lead rope walk away from your stall when you board at a lesson barn, buy a lead with a bulls snap.

i like Bullsnaps too. They don't break. Trigger snaps are garbage.

Count me in on the "Don't like" side. I can't open them one-handed. Who wants a bull snap on a lead shank or tie rope when you have to use both hands to open the snap, leaving none left over to hold the lead shank or control the horse?

I have no idea what they're called, but my very favourite snaps are 3/4 circle shaped on both sides. You pull the trigger part on one side down, and both halves open wide.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    Count me in on the "Don't like" side. I can't open them one-handed. Who wants a bull snap on a lead shank or tie rope when you have to use both hands to open the snap, leaving none left over to hold the lead shank or control the horse?
    You just have to learn to open them with one hand. It is not really hard.

Do you mean Trigger Snaps?

It IS hard if you are older and have lost your fine motor skills. Also, when you've got a lively TB that doesn't want to hold still, or you've gotten the snap smeared with horse saliva, or something similar. Take all 3 of those conditions together, and you'll see why I hate them!

freespeling

I have to use a bullsnap on my horse's stall latch because he figured out how to open a trigger snap.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Quote Originally Posted by drawstraws View Post
    I have to use a bullsnap on my horse's stall latch because he figured out how to open a trigger snap.
    Same here. My Houdini gelding will not stay tied without a bullsnap. He wouldn't necessarily leave (unless he got in trouble) but he doesn't stay tied with a trigger snap either.

So I think they're a necessary evil. I don't have the talent to open them easily either.

Well, instead of trigger snaps, try panic snaps, or bolt snaps -- no need for bull snaps!
    Last edited by altjaeger; Jun. 21, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

freespeling

I also prefer bull snaps. In fact I don't own anything else. I did get a lead once with the bull snap with the thumb release on it which I liked, but I have never been able to find any since.

Yay! I'm not alone!

Beentheredonethat, we seem to be unique in this thread in that we DON'T want anything to break if a horse pulls back?
    Well I don't want my HORSE to break if she pulls back! I haven't had a snap break due to a horse pulling back for over 15 years.

I train the horse to tie by training them to give to pressure, not by tying with unbreakable equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    I train the horse to tie by training them to give to pressure, not by tying with unbreakable equipment.
    As do I. But over the years I have seen bolt snaps break countless times when a horse just hits the end of a rope...not even "pulling back." The horse never even had the chance to give to pressure before the snap... um... snapped.

Perhaps I've only had crappy ones made in China that are far inferior to whatever you use. But I've NEVER had a bull snap break like that.

I detest bull-snaps and would happily flog the inventor with one on the end of a trailer tie.

The way I deal with them is to put another big brass snap on the end attached to it. If there is ONE THING I do NOT need in a clinch it is needing to use TWO HANDS!

OK, who is ambivalent about bull snaps?
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    OK, who is ambivalent about bull snaps?
    Me! Take 'em or leave 'em, yawn.....

ETA: LOVE that they don't break....HATE it when I whack my own shin with one!
    Last edited by hank; Jun. 21, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.

But - they are BULL snaps.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._