The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The first "barn" I boarded at (I always had my horses at home, so I've just been in two boarding situations) did instill in me the habit of cleaning my tack each time I use it. At first I thought that was absurd, but then realized it wasn't and it's been habit ever since.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same w/ me! The first or second barn I was at had a rule that you had to A) Clean every piece of tack every time after you rode B) Saddle pads and polos were washed IMMEDIATELY after being used C)Every horse's legs were washed w/ Orvus and warm water after you rode. And you HAD to towel dry them until they were totally dry~! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] I still clean my tack like 1-2x a week, but some of that is extreme! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~Sarah
    ~Disgruntled College Students Clique~Georgia Clique~

we were only allowed to play country music on the radio at the barn. My trainer's sister was a country music (and control) freak. It didn't matter if I was there at 10pm braiding horses, if she came in the barn she would flip if there wasn't country music playing - she claimed it soothed the horses.

I now know of three barns that don't allow jumps set up and left in the arena??? Like, you can set them up before you ride, but you have to take them down and put them away after you ride. gooood...bye..... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Welcome to my world BossHoss! The last 2 stables we've been at if you wanted to jump you had to set them up right before hand and take them down right after. Putting them away in a nice geometrical eye pleasing pile as well! This explains why my poor Tin man hasn't been over a jump since way into the summer! lol!

Lets see what else can I add to the list....

-no turning on the lights in the owner's side of the barn, well duh! we had to walk through the owners side of the barn to get to the arena

-scoop poo IMMEDIATLY after your ride (arena and outdoor ring)

-anything left out was confiscated or comviniantly misplaced. Try stuffing tack/equipment for two horses in a 12" by 12" locker, got smart though and started to pile everything ontop of my saddle rack! ha!

-no more than one blanket hanging on the stall, others were to be put away (where? that 12" locker isn't like those little clown cars)

-lights for arena had to be turned out BEFORE leaving the arena even if another person is just about to come in

-horses with studs/corks/caulks/borium had to be cross tied on the mat. Fine, but they were 12 borders in the winter time and one mat [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

There's nothing that will make you appreciate where you are like reading the absolute insanities that some of you have to put up with. My one boarded out horse would come home in a NY minute if I had to do some of that stuff.

We have to clean the wash/grooming stalls immediately and poop from the driveway/courtyard but that's it.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

I'm Soooooooo glad that I have my horses at home. And the tack room is as sloppy as it can get before I can't walk. My tack gets cleaned when I feel the whim (its crappy stuff anyway - i need a new saddle and bridle sooooo bad). The hose is almost never coiled (not really possible in the winter because it will crack if you try). I don't ahve arena lights. Radio would be on hard rock if it could pick it up but its on pop. lets see. . . I don't oil my horses feet - it doesn't help anyway. all of my stuff for schooling never matches - ie burgundy splint boots, white bell boots (well tannish now from age) blue or blakc gloves, depending on which I can find. Whatever saddle pad I can find. Hunter green chaps, usually navy blue jodphurs underneath, black helmet.

And do I care? NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Is it worse to have insane rules, or no rules at all and everyone out to get each other for imagined or real transgressions? I mean, I've been around stables were people are just so stupid, you start to wonder about how they can actually learn to walk...let alone have a horse and ride. Without barn rules of any type it just turns into a free-for-all and you can barely ride in the arena, or stand in a cross tie without having people act in the most idiotic manner.

I think we need a new list for the most stupid boarders you've been around--when there haven't been any hard and fast rules...just common sense would do. But, NO, these people don't have any whatsoever!

Not really venting, it just brought it to mind. I'm always stunned by the people who walk right by my horse when I've been tied in an aisle (because its the only legal place to groom) and they walk under the cross ties and on top of your horse. Or barn owners that place metal garbage containers in the corners of a grooming area behind the horse. Then there are the people who leave equipment all over the floor or don't close arena doors, don't announce themselves and scare the beegeebers out of your horse when they enter the ring, etc. Okay, so maybe I am venting! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] It's not that I've boarded at places like this, more that I've had to teach lessons at places like these and I'm always stunned.

Okay, I'm done now! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Must just be that it's "hump" day.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Velvet, I think this deserves its own thread.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

My trainer frined had a road manager who would not allow the feeding of carrots. Said it made them bite. Couldn't even drop them in the feed tub! 'Control freak' is the phrase that comes to mind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

I would not want any horse turned out in their entire "night time" attire ... Why? Because if they run and play and sweat, you will end up with a sick horse. They also need the sunshine on their backs... now if a horse is clipped, old or prone to illness, I would want a turnout rug on them.

TXtrainer, I've encountered that one A LOT (having to pick up the poop--although never having to dismount immediately to do so!). The problem is that it tends to lead to "whose poop is it" arguments.

I encountered an anal rule about having to pick out the hoofs into a muck bucket (the thrust was that you shouldn't let any of it drop on the aisle floor). That same barn, you had to sweep each and every time to led a horse in or out if it lefts little bits of dirt or bedding behind. Made you want to teach the beast to tippy toe down the aisle.

At the Equine Research Center at Cornell University, when I worked there in the first semester of my freshman year--I'm adding all the qualifiers to be sure you realize I don't know if they are still doing this--they mucked out the stalls with shovels, EVERY DAY. Took out all the perfectly clean shavings as well as the poop. Each and every day...and this wasn't the barn where anything special was going on in terms of having a need for hyper-hygene.

Oh, on the jumps. I once leased an aisle in a barn where most of the folks jumped little stuff or single fences (never gymnastics). I got into clashes with the boarders because, even though they always left the jumps as they were--often jumping the same things for weeks on end until there were craters in front of every jump. I'd come in and set up a grid and leave it up, or set up something big--and they'd complain because I was setting up stuff they couldn't jump. The owner tried to solve the problem by "designing" a "new" course every week that everyone had to use or reset if they changed it. No one ever changed it except me, of course, so I was always lugging the jumps around.

Sportponies Unlimited
    Specializing in fancy, athletic, 3/4-TB ponies.
    Shameless signature plugplugplug.
    Sportponies Unlimited
    Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Happy to see I inspired somebody [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I heard of one place that duct taped the radio so you couldn't turn up the volume or change the channel.
    Barn workers were told to work at opposite ends of the aisle and NO talking!
    Boarders were not allowed to speak to the barn workers while barn workers were working which was always!
    If you finished all your work early and did an amazing job, you had to sit down and write out (on a piece of paper) why you did NOT perform your duties properly as to be finished before your required time!! Like 100 times!
    Working students had 8:30p.m. curfews (even if you were a legal adult) and had to ask permission to "go out" with friends to a movie etc. Then they were told that if they had so much spare time that they could go see a movie, they had better stay home and wash the "acid rain" off the trailer, in the middle of winter and in the dark!!!!

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

That made me remember a job where I was teaching at the barn (hired on) and the owner didn't want me to franternize with the boarders. So, here I was, thousands of miles from my friends, working only in the barn all day long, and I wasn't allowed to make friends with anyone (and I certainly wasn't friends with the owner). Then I made the mistake of hanging out with the barn manager and got kicked out (guess she had the hots for him even though she was married). What weirdness. Okay, you can work for us, but you can't have a life. Gee, sounds good to me! Needless to say, I was only there 3 weeks. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

At my barn there are no rules. But if you piss the owners off you are SOL. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"If you feel you had a bad ride, how do you think your horse feels?\"

Robbierox The rules you've described are BEYOND anal lol.

And I thought I'd heard it all * sheesh *

My barn has a small tack shop and everytime anyone leaves polos out, they are taken and washed and put into a big basket in the shop. You can buy back your polos for 2 dollars a peice..... And some of the polos have names and everything. It is common practice for all of us to go into the shop before our lessons and buy back our polos [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

BEYOND THE BEYOND!!!!!
    Brilyntrip

My trainer's indoor ring door has a sign on it that says "please pick out feet so we only have to sweep a little bit."

For the longest time I thought that that meant she wanted us to pick out our horse's feet when we got IN the indoor, before we rode, as opossed to when we LEFT the indoor, after our ride. I never said anything b/c I just thought she was a little . . . eccentric. When it finally dawned on me what she meant. . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

At my current barn we have pages of rules including...

picking up after your horse in the indoor
    putting away jumps, poles, etc. after your ride in the indoor
    putting away poles and barrels and putting jumps up properly in the outdoor (meaning no pole can be resting entirely on the ground... something about how the guy who usually drags it always bangs into poles on the ground)

honestly, I don't see a whole lot wrong with any of our rules given that 1- we're on a military base and therefore they dictate quite a few rules (ie: quarantine procedure, mandated stall cleaning every day, etc.) and 2- our membership is always changing due to people moving and we have such a wide variety of disciplines/breeds/knowledge.

Some of the rules others have mentioned... WOW! Gotta go, see ya... NO WAY! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike