The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Spaz00's post got me thinking... and some repliers mentioned really detailed listings from trainers regarding lists of things you HAD to have. Even down to the boot size, and brand names! Just curious, What are some of the most anal "rules" you have encountered at a barn, or working with a trainer? I know a lady who required students to ride in WHITE polo shirts during their summer lessons... GAWD!! WHITE??? This was in Pennsylvania where they had this awful red clay... Anyone else care to share horror stories? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Spaz00's post got me thinking... and some repliers mentioned really detailed listings from trainers regarding lists of things you HAD to have. Even down to the boot size, and brand names! Just curious, What are some of the most anal "rules" you have encountered at a barn, or working with a trainer? I know a lady who required students to ride in WHITE polo shirts during their summer lessons... GAWD!! WHITE??? This was in Pennsylvania where they had this awful red clay... Anyone else care to share horror stories? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

To leave a barn because I didnt know what the rag on the hose was for. (Wiping your hands maybe?)
    Uh, no...It was for wiping off the entire hose before rolling it back up.

k.
    huh?
    Well, the woman was also a bit of a nutcase...
    FW

Always,
    FairWeather
    http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

Once worked for a trainer who insisted that
    all of the winter blankets be taken off before
    the horses were turned out. This was upstate NY
    in the middle of winter; temperatures in the teens.
    Luckily they were only
    allowed 15 minutes of individual turnout. I really
    felt sorry for them.

Once we had to turn out all of the school horses
    out together without blankets, it started to snow.
    By the time we got all of them, they were shivering and shaking.
    I confiscated every cooler
    in the barn to get them warmed up.

One trainer (remaining nameless) was so anal about neatness that if your horse pooped in the arena during a lesson you had to stop, get off and clean it up. Kept muck bucket and shovel next to all arenas-just in case.

On that same note - our current (new) trainer has decreed that all riders must wear collared shirts (in neutral colors only), breeches (NO CANARY) and tall boots (basic jumper show attire)with only white saddle pads and polos (or boots) even when schooling. I went along with it for lessons but when its 100 degrees and humid, I'm thinking tank top and paddock boots sound alot more comfortable.

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

The only anal stuff I have ever seen other barns do made perfect sense to me. This one barn I was in had hoof picks hanging outside of each stall door. The owner wanted each horse's hooves to be picked out before they walked down the aisle. Her barn was exceptionally organized and tidy. I love a tidy barn.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

My trainer doesn't want anyone but the working students at the barn the morning of a horseshow. She will start off nicely by saying "oh no, just meet us at the show - we'll get him over there". If you try to insist on coming by to help in the morning she will try to come up with excuses and finally say "no, go directly to the show". I used to feel bad about not being there to help in the morning - especially considering that my horse, as a grey, feels it is his duty to get as dirty as possible the night before a horse show. But now I must confess I do enjoy being able to sleep a little longer - and I always try to pick up breakfast for everyone on the way to the show.

I agree, some anal rules make sense ( I love the hoofpick outside the door rule! maybe I'll try it), but some of the rules seems just ridiculous, like getting off in the middle of a lesson to scoop poop? I mean, really, poop happens... how does that trainer get through a day around horses if he can't stand the poop? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Where I'd scoop the poop if some idiot told me to get off and do that in a lesson! That is so much a control freak thing it's not funny! I find that most trainers are ridiculous control freaks anyway. And I am too. So I try to avoid them on a really regular basis.

I've not been at a barn where I can cite ridiculous rules like some of these! The first "barn" I boarded at (I always had my horses at home, so I've just been in two boarding situations) did instill in me the habit of cleaning my tack each time I use it. At first I thought that was absurd, but then realized it wasn't and it's been habit ever since.

Robby
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

I tried the hoofpicks on the stall door thing ...
    Didn't work.

Put hoofpicks in arena so people would'nt track arena footing thru the barn...
    Didn't work.

The only rule that I do enforce well try to anyway is all horses must have leather halters no nylon for turnout.

I did have a boarder who also wanted his horses blankets off for turnout even when it was -20 but I would not do it.

Would someone insist on having blankets off for turnout? Especially up North! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Awww, those poor horses. If someone told me that I couldn't have my blanket on my horse during turnout, I'd tell them where they could put that blanket instead! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Someone I used to board at would charge us money for every little thing not put away after riding. $1 for brush, $1 for hard hat, $1 for sponge... it got expensive since this was mainly a barn full of forgetful kids! But I'll admit, we did start thinking a little more about putting stuff away...

Seems like a lot of show barns are pretty anal about everything matching. But that's fine in my book as long as they aren't downright rude if you can't afford everything right away. It does look pretty when everything matches!

Also heard about a trainer here in FL who had a rule about how short her female students could cut their hair. If it wouldn't go up in a hairnet under their (unapproved) hard hats, they couldn't cut it.

*~Erin~*

I have been at two barns where you were required to immediately clean up after your horse if it pooped in the arena. My clever horse learned that if he pooped he got to take a break so he would poop one road apple at a time. That way he could take as many breaks as he wanted during our ride. I finally started ignoring the rule and would clean up the arena after I was done riding.
    Check out my barn\'s website: Hillbilly Farms!

Wow, FairWeather, the hose rag takes the cake.

I haven't encountered anything much beyond the command to have a matching tack trunk, which is nearly impossible when you school/stable with a couple of different trainers, hence I'm always stuck at the end of the barn aisle, so as not to ruin the ambience. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

But my girlfriend moved to an upper scale A barn, all excited that she got in, and was immediately given a list of items she needed to buy. One was a New Cavalry bridle. She already had lovely tack. It didn't matter. Everyone in the barn HAD to have a New Cavalry bridle. Period. Or you didn't go show.

I had to do the hose rag thing when I would water the arena using the opposite aisle's hose(anal little man...). One time someone in another aisle tried to water the arena, and she didnt wipe off his precious hose and he freaked out at ME. So I just stared at him while he threw his fit, and then when he finally finished I just walked off without saying anything. Then he had the nerve to complain to me about how dusty the arena always was(Do it your own dang self...I dont get paid to do it!) What an ass...I wont miss him one bit!
    ---WHX---

Would it help if the rags were monogrammed to relieve confusion?

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

1. Hoof picks on the door of the stall and next to the main doors so you didn't track into the barn (and I was a working student and would have cared less about being the one to pick it up).

2. Mucking out a barn at 4:00 AM to be sure it sparkled before anyone came for a clinic because *horrors* you couldn't actually muck a stall in front of the owners friends!

3. Picking up any stray piece of straw or hay that left the stall. (And these were open doors on the top so you spent all day doing it.)

4. Not leaving one of the individual stall lights on when you were mucking a stall if there was any daylight outside. (Who cares if the working students lose their eyesight and become bats--using sonar to find piles in the stalls?)

5. Having old tires in all the corners of the stall (laying on the ground) so you used less bedding and forced the horse into standing in the middle of the stall. (Ever hear of building smaller stalls--or just giving up the ghost and spending a bit more on shavings?)

6. Picking daily and turning the horses out for 6 days, then having them stay in for a full day (and you weren't allowed to go out to the barn) so they don't have to muck...then the next day they strip the whole stall and start over. Weird. (That didn't add up to 7 days, but you get the idea.)

7. Picking up your horses droppings as you rode around.

8. Not using the barn phone, but having to find the owner in an emergency and they used the phone (students barn...not one I would board at).

9. Disinfecting the wash stall after every use.

10. Putting all of the polo wraps up in a cupboard for display after you rolled them (and you had to roll them right or redo them).

Some of these are similar to a few of the others, which makes me wonder where they started. Too bizarre.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

lol but I was thinking ....
    you know when that Footings Unlimited company started doing everyones rings they said that they would not uphold their guarantee if ... wait you'll love this ...There was any manure mixed in with it.Ummm... Riding arena horses riding in the arena ...POOP happens right. maybe thats why the trainer was such a nut case!
    Brilyntrip

I thought the rag was for wiping off my HANDS!
    HA! How silly of me!

I knew the woman was bonkers when I went to the barn to find a tree had taken down a good part of the fence (my horse's pasture) and there was a gaping hole. We used twine to secure it for the time being and put the horses away. I was then screamed at for using the ORANGE TWINE! Thats the GOOD TWINE!
    Come again?
    I was audi.
    FW

Always,
    FairWeather
    http://www.fairweather.bizland.com/entrance.html

Sea Urchin used to have a cute little 4 horse barn that I kept my large pony at about 7 years ago. Well, Sea is really anal about hoof polish. Our groom, John, had to oil the horse's feet before they went out in the AM, when they came in at 3PM and after they had dinner...Horses definitely look better when their feet are painted...but who was going to see their feet at 2AM [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] Oh well, it was a great barn non the less!

Whoa Merry, you HAD to buy a New Cavalry bridle? Hummm, guess someone would have to throw the Beval or the Edgewood out the window, then. Geez, who can tell one nice bridle from another? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] Stupid people.

Do you know what else was on "the magic list?" I'd kinda be interested in knowing, lol!

*~Erin~*