The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

This is the only business where the customer is always wrong. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Well, I haven't been here much lately; busy with working a lot this Summer, but I had to post on this one! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I was at a barn while I was at University that reminds me of some of these anal rules! I worked there for 2 years and remember having to clean the 'fly poop' off the light ballasts (also in a 30 stall barn) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    Also, no lessons allowed on Sundays and leasers couldn't even come out to ride on Sundays either! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]
    I used to keep my horses at home when I was in HS and I loved it, since I am a neat freak about my barn anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]! I could be as anal as I wanted and it didn't bother anyone.

However, the barn where I now ride my friend's horse, closes at 8pm! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] It is very hard for me to get to the barn to ride after work, since most days I work at least til 6 or 7pm! To me, that just seems stupid for a Boarding Barn since most Boarders have 'day jobs' and go to the barn after work! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    You'd think I'd know better.

AQHA Clique, Pony Club Clique and Member/Co-founder of the Boot to the Head Clique! (Members NOT wanted)

I think not allowing people to ride on a certain day is bogus. My lesson is on Friday night, so if I don't show that weekend, my horse has Saturday off. I usually ride Sunday, and maybe not Monday depending on how much work I have to do. But if Monday is a holiday, I ride. And if I have a lot of work to do, I may not get out to the barn until after 7 in the evening. Also, so many adults work and have to drive quite a ways to the barn that having an early closing time is silly. I can understand having lights out at 9 or 10, but closing at 5 is ridiculous.

Oh, I can't believe someone else - 2 people - posted about the manure pile. I so wanted to be the first.... It was a work of art. It should have been - I think we spent more time on it than we did on our horses. At least it was warm up there in the winter - thawed my frozen feet - that was in the days before I knew about Sorels! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Were you all in the Unionville/West Grove area? We were told it was because this particularly shaped pile (including the steps we built to get to the top) was the only one the "mushroom man" could pick up.

It's a truly amazing list. In it all I only saw 2 that had any relationship to safety (not climbing thru the fence and putting the jump cup pins in one direction [tho that one's really impossible given the fact that, except for in an event warm up area, most jumps are taken from both directions in general schooling]).

Our barn rules (I think there're 5) are "pick up after your horse and yourself; be courteous of other riders, especially beginners; don't smoke in the barn" and a couple of others. Occasionally a sign will go up like "Boarders: please take your blankets home." That one went up around July 1. Or, "If you don't claim this stuff it's going in the dumpster tomorrow" - after having been on a chair with a "please claim" sign for 2 weeks. Or, "Those riders who went to Northeast Benefit, please pay John for training." It's a pretty comfortable place. Horses and riders well cared for.

Geeze! My barn sounds like perfect compared to some of yours!

I'll just list some rules that I am sometimes just annoyed by

~ only boots, fly spray & knits/blankets are allowed on the door.

~ Nothing is allowed on top of the trunk, everything must be in the trunk

~ Sweep the isle(where your horse was) before & after you ride(although I can get away w/t only after I ride, they like me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img])

~ Clean up your horse's mess if they leave "a present" on the driveway/circle courtyard

~ You have to get your own "crap" out of the trailer after a show. & if that same trailer is at a show when you get to the barn, OH WELL(I'm just too lazy for this)

That might be it. One of our old barn workers was sweet enough to clean our wooden trunks w/t Pledge every other day & vaccum our carpeted tack room once a week.
    The cleaning tack thing after every ride would drive me nuts, I ride at least 2 every day in the summer.
    We have a friendly "can I borrow...." attitude. My saddle was being re-stuffed, so I just asked, & I got to borrow someones beautifull Pessoa
    There aren't that many people, & everyone is on a friendly first name joking basis. We have nicknames for each other, we are friends w/t the barn workers, & if there is a fight, my trainer takes care of it or else.
    We sorta have an "open trunk" basis. If you are looking for something, you can go in the other person's trunk & borrow it as long as you return it

I think thats it. & 2morro I'm going to vaccum our trailer dressing rooms. They get all full of hay...
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

XOXO
    *Kris*
    ~*Think Big*~*Proud Blue*~
    Krista52087@hotmail.com
    My Album
    -----
    This is not a true story
    -----

I am almost 100% sure I know who said that!!!!! Hehehe...but my lips are sealed to protect the not-so innocent!!!!!!

*Formerly known as Seabiscuit*

I agree with you about not having the time to clean tack...and frankly I'm not about to quit riding just because my tack isn't always sparkling....sorry LordHelpUs! I just do not have time, and I can't be sure because he doesn't speak, but I am almost certain my horse is ok with it. I am very busy. I keep my barn spotless, the stalls spotless...my tack is in very good repair, and it gets cleaned. Just not regularly.

Right, Egl. My horse always gets a good curry and flatted and cooled out well, anything else is icing!

Wow, I can't beleive that some barns would have rules as retarded as some of you have said!

My barn is covered in cobwebs, nothing matches, people have *gasp* old tack, and hoof oil does get on the floor. Nobody cares. The owner is the trainer, manager, groom, our friend, etc... The barn is as clean as we want it to be and even people who came from super spiffy barns like it here much better. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]