The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Not about the USA Equestrian name.... go to the other thread "Why did the AHSA change their name" for that. There are at least 3 other sub-threads evolving there, and plenty of interesting reading for sure.

This is about horses' names and whether you think the "Federation" or USA Equestrian (previously know as the AHSA, whatever) should or should not accept horse recordings if the name of choice is obviously inappropriate.

By obviously inappropriate, I have to think that any name that includes the word sex falls into the "sorry, no-can-use" category.

Yes, there is definitely a recorded horse by the name of "Hot Sex" and a lot of people find it offensive, including myself. I have yet to encounter an announcer who will announce the horse's name. I've also had occasion to tell the rider of "HS" that she can't enter the ring until properly attired. (Read: get out of that low-cut, backless halter top and put on a collared polo shirt, tucked in, thank you very much.)

In any case, here's the spot to comment on the pros and cons of legislating horses' recorded show names. I think it deserves it's own thread. AHSA = USA Equestrian = The Federation is another long story discussed elsewhere.

Not about the USA Equestrian name.... go to the other thread "Why did the AHSA change their name" for that. There are at least 3 other sub-threads evolving there, and plenty of interesting reading for sure.

This is about horses' names and whether you think the "Federation" or USA Equestrian (previously know as the AHSA, whatever) should or should not accept horse recordings if the name of choice is obviously inappropriate.

By obviously inappropriate, I have to think that any name that includes the word sex falls into the "sorry, no-can-use" category.

Yes, there is definitely a recorded horse by the name of "Hot Sex" and a lot of people find it offensive, including myself. I have yet to encounter an announcer who will announce the horse's name. I've also had occasion to tell the rider of "HS" that she can't enter the ring until properly attired. (Read: get out of that low-cut, backless halter top and put on a collared polo shirt, tucked in, thank you very much.)

In any case, here's the spot to comment on the pros and cons of legislating horses' recorded show names. I think it deserves it's own thread. AHSA = USA Equestrian = The Federation is another long story discussed elsewhere.

Okay Laura I'll ask again, who do I talk or write to in the AHSA to have this issue addressed? I had a hard time explaining the name and the whole act to one of my clients parents, who had brought their relatives to whatch their "little darling" ride in the short stirrup. Of course they took in the jumper activity, being that the rings are next to each other and were a bit shocked.
    I have spoken to others at the shows who have had their names rejected for inappropiateness for example "Bite Me" was turned down. Can you imagine what this girls next horse will be named? I was told "Hot Sex" is a bar drink, should we expect maybe "Sex on the Beach",for a palomino?

I agree that there should definately be standards of good taste and recognition that this is a family sport that involves children all over the place. That said, it does present difficulties for the Federation.

To me, the problem comes in where the Federation should/can draw the line. Obviously, it should not issue a recording number for a horse called "F*** You" or such a thing. But as we move down the continuum of crudeness and humor, the line gets fuzzy.

Hypothetically, what if there was a fancy pony mare humorously named "Dead Sexy" after the British expression as used in the Austin Powers' movie -- is that offensive and inappropriate? My guess is some people would say so, others not.

What about the legendary "Hoof Hearted"? (Say it aloud fast).

Putting it another way, does context matter? I have to say I get the feeling that in the particular instance the name of the horse, while I don't approve of it, probably would not be such an issue if the owner/rider did not engage in the other exhibitionistic and inappropriate behavior mentioned.

Add to that, what happens if the horse has a registered name that was accepted by its breed organization but may be offensive? I don't see how the Federation can refuse to record a horse with the name on the horse's breed registration papers. Now, this may not be really be a problem, as breed registries have a far greater interest in maintaining the image and dignity of their registered animals than does the Federation in recording them, but it could happen. (I remember when I was a younger there was a whole line of very successful AQHA horses that all had "Booger" in their names. I always thought it was pretty gross, but it never seemed to bother the AQHA folks.)

I'm not saying it can't or should not be done, just that these kind of judgments do present problems for the folks making the decision and there are bound to be some questionable cases and some people who disagree with whatever the decision may be.

[This message was edited by Portia on Jul. 16, 2001 at 10:38 PM.]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Horses do not have to be recorded to show in AHSA (or whatever they call themselves now)shows. Rider must be a member or pay the fee but not the horse. I'd be willing to bet this horse is not registered anywhere under that name. If the rider is an AHSA member you may have recourse thru them but it is up to the show managment to back up the announcer when he/she refuses to read the name. Stop in the show office to register your objection to having that name used in front of little kids. If the announcers won't announce the name maybe the owners will get the point. What trailer park did these peaple crawl out of?

From Allergy Valley USA
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

It should only be fitting to be the first to post on your thread since I am the culprit of the spin off on the other thread!!

As I have stated on the other thread but to bring some points up here, the AHSA[federation]should without a doubt have the right to refuse a name. We have a dress code,are asked to compete in formal attire for certain classic or finals or marshal sterlings etc.... Have stewards handy to enforce rules or handle any complaints so why let a name like that invade our sport at all?

I worked with race horses for many years and have dealt with the Jockey Club and NYRA. They would not allow it at all so why should the AHSA? It is a matter of respect and all AHSA members in good standing are entitled to it. To see that displayed on coolers and saddlepads because the public has been told by the owner'the AHSA issued me a recording number' is a slap in the face to all. Needles to say should not be advertised around children which make a a huge number in our sport.
    \"Disaster is the only thing that I can depend on\"-
    Stevie Nicks

not the first at all.where did you all come from so fast lol
    Stevie Nicks

Did you know the AHSA turned down a recording number for a pony wanting to be called 'Bite Me'? How in the world did 'Hot Sex' get by them?
    Stevie Nicks

Gold Dust, I know Weatherford has asked somebody at the Federation to look into it and that they are doing so, but have we even confirmed yet that the horse's recording number is actually issued under that exact name? I just wonder if maybe the owner slightly changed the name in the AHSA recording, like Jumphigh said on the other thread that she thought the horse's name was Hot Six. Or it could have been listed as Hot Sox, or Hot Sax. All of which would be acceptable. That would at least explain how it got by.

If the horse really does have a recording number under the name Hot Sex, then I don't have an explanation except that mistakes can be made.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I sure could never even get good names accepted for youngsters let alone something off color. You may be right about a mistake being made if in fact this horse is registered somewhere under that name. Censoring names may be a slippery slope we really don't need to start down but I think this one is pretty blatant. Based on some of the people I've met through the years I don't believe anything anybody tells me about papers or pedigree until I see them.

From Allergy Valley USA

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

(since I already responded on the other AHSA naming thread)

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO WRITE A RULE GOVERNING "APPROPRIATE" NAMES THAT EVERYONE CAN LIVE WITH?

Look, I am not arguing that naming a horse "Hot Sex" (or cold sex, or no sex or ...whatever sex) is in good taste. In my opinion, it is inappropriate in the extreme. If I were competing at a show where I saw something like that, I'd be inclined to protest it to the steward.

But the reality is, where people already complain about paying the existing dues, an $8 drug fee and there is widespread displeasure with the amount of money spent on the legal wrangling with the USET... how do you propose that the Fed draft a defensible rule allowing some committee to subjectively decide which names are OK and which are not?

You want to serve on that committee? You want to deal with Brenda BigBucks and her team of expensive attorneys when she comes up with a legal protest of your refusal to grant her beloved "Happy Banger" a recording certificate? Can you imagine what our dues structure would have to be to support that kind of thing?

I have no doubt that the rider/owner in question is just looking for attention. Really, someone who feels compelled to ride around in public in a bra is ... well, probably needs some help of some sort. If she is trying to shock people into giving her some attention, it would appear that she has succeeded. With people like that, frankly, the best way to get them to stop the behavior is to ignore them.

Children who notice and inquire should be gently told, "there are some unlucky people who never learned how to function appropriately in polite society. You should feel sorry for them." And that should be the end of it.

Just my $.02...
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

You may be correct in the owner making her own name modifications!!!! And you are correct,mistakes can be made. This is where I love to see how any organization handles a mistake and if they are willing to step up and rectify. That is why I slipped it into the other thread and was trying to see how the AHSA operates. I thank you and Weatherford!
    Stevie Nicks

I would guess that the horse IS registered since it shows in the MS which has more than 2500 in prize money. When you see the "whole package" it really isn't a surprise that the horse's name is HS. Nice halter top..come in your size?? How about a SHIRT with a collar and sleeves? Novel concept. She should call the horse Carnival Act. OK I am done being a b*tch. Really.

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Now you are making me want to see this. Where does it show? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

From Allergy Valley USA

My first "siting" was HITS I and II Catskill. OMG. Enough said.

Betsy

Laura: thanks for starting this thread, and I'm glad you stressed the fact that it's more than just the name of the horse. I first heard of the name about a year ago, then saw the owner this spring for the first time. I think I got "used to" the name after all this time , eventhough I still have a hard time watching that poor creature being parade around in red and white saddle pads and coolers sporting the H.S. name. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] Of course, the worse of it all is seeing the owner. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

That said, I do agree with others that this could be murky waters. Hot Sex is downright blatant if not obnoxious, but where does the AHSA/Fed draw the line, as Lucassb pointed out?

Betsy: be warned...she's scheduled to make another appearance at HITS V (please don't even ask how I know, unless you're prepared to receive a 20-page whinning email from me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ). I'm just glad I'll be there for the hunters and should be out of there by the time she gets there ::::keeping fingers crossed::::::.

BTW, even though local show annoucers never annouce the horse's name, I heard at the big A shows, such as HITS, Garden State, and the Hamptons, it was announced. Can you confirm that?
    "fighting stupidity; one step at a time" -- a wise COTHer

Doesn't a show have the right to refuse entries for any reason, each being a private business? Why not just stop it right there by refusing to accept the entry in the first place? Surely, whoever trains her has entries as well--why not turn down their entries too?

Confirmation that it was announced at Garden State. I was there, I saw it. I was in shock.
    Of course, it was a good experience to learner I had the same questions you are all asking. I found her riding more offensive then her appearance. Poor horse.

Amen Jane. The reason I even had a "siting" was I heard the name announced and turned around to see what would name a horse something so tacky. Well ask and you will receive..oh my...the riding far outstrips the attire for crude and tasteless.

Betsy

Is it so astounding that I should charter a plane to fly up for a "sighting" of my own at one of the shows? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo