The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The never-ending quest for perfect leg protection... what do YOU use?

I would love to hear input from everyone! What do YOU put on your horses legs in different situations? Trail rides? Flatwork? Jumping? Galloping? Showing?

What do you like about what you use, and what don't you like about it?

-For trail riding and flatwork, I use nothing. This way I develop my horse's own leg strength and don't have any heat buildup.

-For jumping at home, I just got a set of Eskadron Climatex liners to use under a set of Saratogas. They are new so I have yet to see how they work, but my hope is that they will offer protection against interference, stabilize her legs laterally, all without getting as hot as boots.

-For showing, I use Acavallo Vittoria open front boots. I love them as they have gel that conforms to and stabilizes the horse's splint bone and suspensory ligament, they look smart, and the hard plastic shell offers significant impact protection from interference that I want under the rigors of showing. They just get too hot for every day use, like pretty much every boot.

What about you guys?

I'm curious to read what others are doing.

My mare interferes behind sometimes. So behind she wears Eskadron ankle boots. I don't know how much I like them. I think she can actually catch herself on the edge and trip. Haven't felt it in awhile, but I'm on the lookout.

Up front? Eskadron open front boots.

I really do this for both flatting and jumping.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Flatting I usually use splints and bells, unless I'm lazy in which case I use nothing. He doesn't really need them but I'd rather them there if he trips and clips himself.

Over fences I use equifit open front t-boots for the same reason. I also love Eskadrons, but my horse has a tiny bump on his leg that hard-shelled boots irritated.

For trails I use splint boots and bells. There is a lot of mud and prickers on our trails, and the one time we went on the trails without bells he pulled a shoe.

Showing I won't use anything, and for cross country I used SMB boots (again, mostly for the prickers.) I don't use them on trails though because they hold water and we cross streams.

Flatting/Lessons: Wraps up front and behind. I love my Eskadron Climatex wraps (the ones with the liner as part of the wrap, not seperate) but I use normal polos as well (Equine Couture polos are fantastic).

Showing: Equifit open fronts and ankle boots (the tab kind). I love love love them.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Flatwork: Polos because he seems to go better in them.

Trails: Thinline Sport Boots because they are cooler than neoprene, don't hold water or burrs and protect all the way around.

Jumping: Roma Gel Open Fronts because they are very comfy, easy on and off and not pricey.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

Most of the time, whether flatting, jumping, or hacking out, I use my Equifit open fronts. They are so quick and easy to put on/take off and offer great protection from any random interference. I love being able to remove the liners and throw them in the wash! I have hind boots that I used for jumping on my old horse, but my current horse doesn't need them.

If my Equifits are dirty, then I use polos, (but only on the front legs).

At shows, I used to use my Equifit Luxe boots for eq. and my Equifit EXP's for jumpers on my old horse. My current horse is hunter/eq only and the Luxe boots are sold, so he goes without any boots/wraps.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

For my young horse I generally use nothing unless we are doing something new or on the trails. If we are doing something new (meaning a new height, new gymnastic) I use equifit open fronts and ankle boots. If we are trail riding, I tend to overboot mostly because it's very hilly here and often slippery and usually I'm getting ready to show. An ounce of precaution 'n all that - so he uses bell boots, and open fronts/ankle boots that don't hold water.

And sometimes I just put boots on because I think for the most part they are a lot like jewelry: they make me happy without truly serving a purpose other than making me happy.

My retired horse mostly goes in ... nothing... except maybe ankle boots behind and bells up front on the trail.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I almost always use nothing. My horse doesn't interfere and beyond that I'd rather not let heat get into his legs. I think polos don't do much support wise, and he's barefoot so he doesn't need bells.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    And sometimes I just put boots on because I think for the most part they are a lot like jewelry: they make me happy without truly serving a purpose other than making me happy.
    Same!

My guy has some interference so we use boots whenever we're going to be doing a decent amount of lateral work when on the flat and when jumping. For easy/straightforward flat work and trails/hacking, we usually don't wear anything. He doesn't interfere badly enough to worry about it. When he was shod in the front, he needed bell boots (Professional Choice No-Turns) as he had a decent over-reach.

For flat/dressage - DSB-IIs - he goes quite well in these, but they do get quite warm. I prefer to use them in the colder months (more comfortable with his arthritis) but they do get pretty warm to use during the summer.

For jumping at home - WoofWear Sport Brushing Boots - very easy to put on, lightweight, stay in place, etc. Held up nice too and rinse off easily.

For jumping at shows - WoofWear DoubleLock Brushing Boots - nicer versio of the ones we use at home. Better strike pad, double-lock to ensure they stay in place while we're showing.

For the occasion contesting pattern - Professional Choice Elites - I like these whenever we're working on tighter turns and transitions.

My horse lives in pull on bell boots to prevent him from taking off his shoes. For flatting or trail riding, I don't put anything else on unless I'm feeling fancy, I'll put on polos. Jumping, he wears open front T-boots. Showing, nothing, he's a hunter, but if we do eq, then I have open fronts and ankle boots that are black and lined with fleece, I don't know the brand, they were cheap. They're hard to clean so they're for show use only.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post

This is generally how I feel about boots on my guy. I'm lucky because he really never interferes, so my policy is less is more.

On trails I always put hard shell (usually Eskadrons) on his fronts, and something or another on his hinds... he's a show horse and the last thing I need is him doing something silly and slicing his legs on the brambles on the trails.

Rest of the time boots are pretty arbitrary for us. Have some really nice polos, some Eskadron Climatex wraps, some old Eskadrons as well as some really, really old Hampa boots. I pretty much put on whatever fits my mood...which is most often nothing at all.

And none of his leasers or other riders are allowed to put anything on his legs without my direct supervision.

If a horse is close behind, I put on Eskadron ankle boots. If a horse has a tendency to pull shoes in turnout, I put on bell boots.

Otherwise, we do not use anything. Our goal is to get the horses' legs as tight as possible, by working it correctly on a variety of surfaces and terrains, in a gradual manner. As all of ours hunt, I can tell you that booting, except for when it is absolutely necessary (such as ankle boots for an interfering horse), causes more trouble than it is worth (dirt/sand gets into the boot, which rubs, etc). And since they are going to be hunting over all sorts of terrain for 4-5 hours, they had better be able to school 45-60 min without boots.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Good artice on horse boots. This is why I don't use them.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=16037
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

Horse toes out in front, so I always ride in a pair of cheap ROMA hard-shell open-fronts to keep him from knocking himself too badly (as evidenced by the scrapes on the insides of the boots!). We do a lot of trail riding, some XC/baby eventing, jump up to 2'3" or so.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

In the summer, when he has shoes on all around, he wears bell boots and either open fronts/ankle boots (BR, but I am lusting after a set of the Equifit EXPII boots) for jumping. For flatting, I usually use either the boots all around, polos all around, or boots in front and polos behind, depending on my mood, all with bell boots in front.

I'm also considering getting a set of the Eskadron Climatex wraps (the ones with the climatex built in), as well as the Equifit wraps.

Everything I ride goes in Eskadron open fronts and ankle boots (or the Roma knockoffs thereof).

I personally don't believe that wraps or soft shell boots offer any kind of soft tissue support or are preventative of soft tissue strains whatsoever, so I use only hard shell boots for impact protection in case of leg interference.

So everyone goes in the Eskadrons whether we are schooling dressage, hunters, or just doodling around on the trails.

I will use white polos for dressage clinics or dressage sale videos, but I basically consider the horse to be "unprotected" during those rides and just have them on to look pretty.

Woofs for trails, flat, xc.

Open fronts like equifits and eskadrons for jumping in the ring.

Rubber pull on thick bottom bells on 24/7.

Polos when I feel like wrapping.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I've been using just bell boots for everything but trail riding... However, yesterday horsey managed to take out a large chunk of his fetlock by overreaching while we were doing a trot lengthening. It wasn't even a big honking lengthening! Ugh. So now we'll be flatting in polos or open fronts and using open fronts to jump in. Again.
    Trying a life outside of FEI tents and hotel rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    Good artice on horse boots. This is why I don't use them.

http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=16037
    Good article!

I usually use Lami-cell PRO open fronts and open-front ankle boots when jumping, and either no boots for hacking or maybe just the open front (front only) or polos on the front if I'm going out in the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis