The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wood tack trunk

Tell me about yours! Where can I get a nice reasonably priced one? I have been using a plastic stanley from home depot and just putting one of the wood tack trunk covers over it...thought it was time to finally invest in one! Should I get the inside stained too or is that a waste of money? How did you design your lid (mirror, corkboad, etc.)

I just had my handy dad build one for me; if you have someone in your life who would enjoy a project like that you can save a lot of money, and there are some very good plans out there online. The one my dad built looks just like the ones that my trainer has that were professionally made. If build it your self isn't an option, check with tack shops in your area, there may be some local craftsmen that will charge competitive rates comparable to the well known shops. And you will save on shipping!

I had a groom box and a tray put in mine. I didn't want anything in the top, but I may add a cork board. Definitely get the inside sealed, that will keep the inside nice longer. I didn't want mine stained on the inside because it made it too dark in the trunk. Enjoy your new trunk!
    Me: In a long-winded explanation of who GM is and why he is Important to the Sport
    Mr EmJ: So what you're saying is GM is so Important he could get Chik-Fil-A on Sunday?

My dad also built mine under the guidance of David R Fowler Custom Tack Trunks (lucky for me, Dave is a good friend of my dad's!!).
    Here is a photo:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...type=3&theater

I still have to put a corkboard in the lid but I took it with me to my last 4 shows and I LOVE it!
    Last edited by NorthHillFarm; Jun. 20, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Try a local consignment shop.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Quote Originally Posted by EmJ628 View Post
    . . . If build it your self isn't an option, check with tack shops in your area, there may be some local craftsmen that will charge competitive rates comparable to the well known shops. And you will save on shipping!
    Good idea, one of our local tack shops always has at least one on display, made by a local man. They are beautifully made and you can get all sorts of options (wheels, bandage lid, etc.) for a very reasonable price, plus the savings on shipping is considerable.

see if you can find a used one, like on Craigslist. I got mine used from a barnmate at a significant discount and it was in like new shape with all the extras (cork board, mirror, two trays, grooming tray)

keep your eyes peeled for used, they can be tricky to find but they will show up and are usually priced pretty low.

I dont have anything on my lid (remember the more weight on the lid, the more stress on the hinges) but I do have pictures and bumper stickers all on the underside for decoration.

Try searching the forums; there are a bunch of threads with great links.

I also made mine with my dad.

We drew up our own plans, with unique features that I have never seen on another trunk. It it not quite done (has some copper trim to put on it).

http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...l/P7270734.jpg The grooming tote detaches to be carried off. It cannot be pulled out when the trunk is closed and/or locked
    http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...l/P7270732.jpg
    http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...l/P7270741.jpg

Mine was given to me but was made by someone. It's as lovely as any commercial ones. I'd estimate it probably has $200-300 in lumber, so if you can find someone handy that would be much less expensive. Ours has a bandage lid, but we use it to store & organize saddle pads, etc. It also has a built-in saddle rack (two dowels put together that are supported on teh sides so you can remove it). We used it this past weekend and it was such a treat to have a spot for everything.

Here is the outside
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...1340243114.jpg

And the inside
    http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/s...z/53919783.jpg
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

My dad made me a beautiful cherry wood trunk, which was very sadly stolen with ALL of my tack and stuff in it (minus the saddle).

Back in 1997 I won a Warner's tack trunk which is beautiful, so I made the switch to that since my father had sold all of his woodworking equipment.

Warner's is now called "Pheonix West" I believe. Expensive trunks but they are like a piece of furniture.
    Here's a pic of it (excuse my dog, he felt the need to be included
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...s/IMG_4523.jpg

I ordered mine from a man who was making custom making them- on eBay of all places! This was 10 years ago, and it only cost $400, but I still get compliments on it all the time. I wish I still had his name and number- I could have sent him a lot of business over the years!

As for my must-haves: dry erase board, cork board, and wheels (not only makes it easier to move, but keeps it off the barn floor)!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Not a fan of bandage lids.

They mean that you can't have anything sticking up from the trays. You usually do have, and don't know it until you try to close the lid. Then, (sigh), you have to reopen and rearrange just at the wrong time. And they make the lid heavy. That's hard on the hinges.

Just something to consider.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I actually really like the bandage lid on my Oakcroft. I strung webbing on the inside and hold little things in there. I like compartments. I haven't had a problem with things sticking up into it, either- no more than I would with a regular lid.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG