The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default rec your favorite oversize hunter bridle

I just purchased (yay!) a Percheron/TB cross with a huge noggin and need to buy an oversize bridle. A lot of bridles I like don't come in the right size- boo! He is a dapple grey. He sort of came with a black hunter saddle and I don't have another saddle that fits him right now and will not soon be getting another one (I don't do rated shows....it won't be an issue on my local circuit).

Please rec your favorite hunter bridle that comes in oversize in either a very dark brown or black. No figure eights, flashes, etc. A wide noseband will probably look best because of his ginormous head and neck. I am having a hard time finding something I like for him.

Thank you!

I wouldn't go with a black bridle for the hunters, even though your current saddle is black, get something in a deep mahogany shade. What's your budget? Hadfields and Beval Heritage are the right color and both have wide noseband versions which would probably be more flattering, so does ADT. Would you consider a true hunt bridle, a flat one? They seem to be more flattering on a larger headed animal as well and are very reasonably priced. And of course Edgewoods run big so their OS is sure to fit him, plus they have wide noseband versions as well.

If you're on a budget try Aramas, although I don't know if they make an OS bridle. Toulouse makes OS, a friend has one and its beautiful, supple leather, very pretty. Some of the Toulouse have the mono crown though, which I am not a fan of.

I totally agree with BAC. Black is coming back for the jumpers, but I would go dark brown for the hunters.

I just saw the other thread with someone asking for a dark brown bridle under $200, and saw someone rec'd Bobby's. I really like this one!

http://www.somersetsaddlery.com/m7/9...and-reins.html

The other issue is that I will need to get a set of double reins to match whatever bridle I get, as he goes best in a Pelham. His current bridle (which is a dressage bridle, ugh), has a converter on the rein set, and I really don't like riding in that. I don't think it's fair to him.

I got my 17.2h WB the Arc De Triomphe Imperial bridle. The darker color oils pretty dark and its a lovely bridle in general. Its pricey (not sure what your budget is) but I've had it for a while and aside from the leather being buttery soft, it still looks new.

I am not sure if it was a fluke but I bought an oversized Bobby's bridle and I could barely get the noseband to close on my gelding. He is large but not that large! I currently have 2 edgewoods for him and love love live them. Certainly pricey but worth every penny. My "show" one has a fancy set of laced matching reins and then I also have a less expensive pair of flat reins if I were to use a pelham. On the one I am now using daily I use a pair of nunn finer soft grip reins.

I think that you should try eBay because you can find really nice stuff for way less. I got my beasties 2nd Edgewood brand new for $150.

I agree with another poster that you could consider a true hunt bridle. Also do a search for wide nosebands. There was a thread not to long ago with tons of suggestions you would just need to search to see if thu had an OS version.
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP