The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ankle support under Tall Boots? Broke myself again...

So I did it again... Hurt myself while no where near a horse. I swear those types of injuries cause far more grumbling then the launched off, ran over by, or kicked by a horse stories that come with equine related injuries... grrrr....

Was out for a walk with the DH and the Rottie Kid last night, stepped on a rock and twisted my ankle badly enough to make me completely pass out. (And I have a high pain tolerance, been riding for the last 9 months with a fractured sacrum... so hitting that level of pain to cause me to go out over an ankle... a little odd...) Came to and sent the DH and dog home for the 4 wheeler for me to take back home, iced it, aced bandaged it, took some Aleve, and called it a night. Flexes fine, moves fine, but still hurts a considerable amount, so I'm thinking just keep it stabilized for now.

Problem is... I have horses to work, lessons to teach, a hunter pace this weekend that I have to take a student on, and a horse show for my greenie pony and the lesson kids the next weekend. All of which require tall boots. What might fit under the boots (wrap/brace/etc) to stabilize the ankle a bit? Already planning on no-stirrup work while this heals up, other than while showing where I'll use the carry but do not use stirrups maneuver. Recommendations?

I'm constantly twisting my ankles. Best support for under boots I"ve discovered . . .I tape it with vet wrap. Its not bulky, cheap, and provides good support (better than any brace I've had).

It's possible you also might have a small avulsion fracture! I did this to myself a few years ago stepping in a gopher hole and figured it was just sprained! Best to get an x-ray to make sure.

If it is just sprained, can you not wear black paddock boots and black 1/2 chaps instead of tall boots? It would be much easier to wrap the ankle with those!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Will give the vet wrap a try, always have a ton of it hanging around.

I'm a bit of a stubborn mule. I tend to take it easy, stay off things for a few days then re-evaluate, and then if it still is bad then I go in. Just with a tight wrap and icing this morning before I took some lessons out stirrup-less...it is feeling considerably better. I used to sprain them all the time as a kid and now is feeling pretty similar to that.

And unfortunately, due to an old knee injury... on the same leg of course....without the tight pressure under my knee that the tall boots give I am lame with or without stirrups after riding, so no paddocks and 1/2 chaps for me...

The ACE wrap almost fit under the boots, actually ended up not zipping the one and vet wrapping it on over the wrap (not sure why the light bulb didn't go on then to just wrap with that...duh...haha), so I think the Vetwrap should fit just fine.

I'm recovering from a fractured and sprained ankle from my horse falling on me while riding.

I found a pull-on type elastic ankle brace at the Wallmart that helped stablize my ankle and they fit under paddock and tall boots.

Good luck!

I also did vetwrap for mine. Fits great and was more supportive than one of the thin elastic braces. I also could go up higher on my leg and more onto my foot than a regular brace. Just make sure you flex your ankle/foot while wrapping. When I first did it I managed to make it incredibly difficult to flex my ankle correctly while in the irons.

Compression stockings are cheap and come in a long tube that lasts forever, I used them a lot after having ankle surgery though they aren't super supportive. What I do when my ankles are bothering me is use athletic tape, it's actually thinner and more supportive than vet wrap though my only caution about the tape is it's tricky if you don't have any experience with it. I know all about ankle pain so I know how you feel. Good luck this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Ridinwyoming View Post
    I'm recovering from a fractured and sprained ankle from my horse falling on me while riding.

I found a pull-on type elastic ankle brace at the Wallmart that helped stablize my ankle and they fit under paddock and tall boots.

Good luck!
    They work very well and aren't bulky but they are tight! Good support.
    If you still have significant swelling then they might not be the thing, but if the swelling is down they work well.
    Last edited by skydy; Jun. 21, 2012 at 04:33 AM.

I third the suggestion for vet wrap, but don't be stingy, I've found it takes about 1/2 a roll to make a good supportive ankle brace. I've never had an issue getting a tall boot on with the vet wrap method.

And I second the suggestion to wrap at a flexed position. Another tip, cut a small slice (maybe an inch long) on the outside of the foot by the pinky toe. It just makes the fit more comfortable

I've never been able to buy an off-the-rack ankle wrap/support that fit my foot properly or supported me as well as vet wrap, but I've tried and never had an issue with wearing one with my tall boots.

I used the pull on brace support sock they sell at Walgreens, and while it did the job the seams irritated my ankle even more. Plus it felt like I was walking around with something under my arch, which hurt. But it did the job and was cheap!

I also use vet wrap, although under paddocks. I found it works better if you cut the roll in half (2" wrap) and then use the whole role. Electric knife works great to cut it.

Second the suggestion to get an x-ray. I did the same thing last year, rolled my ankle off the side of some sandals, and broke it. Found out 2 months later.

If you have someone who can teach you how to wrap an ankle (I learned from rolling it a lot playing basketball in high school) it should only take a couple spins of the vet wrap. Flex foot as tight as possible and wrap snuggly, but not to the point of constricting blood flow. Direction you wrap is dependent on the way you rolled ankle (I believe its if you roll out, you wrap from inside, pulling ankle up, if rolled in its the opposite)

Yes, the pull on ankle things you can get at any drug store are great! I have a couple, and lived in one for probably 6 months a couple of years ago, after I sprained my ankle. Not bulky, fits under my socks and in my boots, gave me a lot of support, both walking around and while riding.

Just know that if the heel is cut out, they will rub a little, especially when you're hot and sweaty. Might want to buy some band aids for heel rubs at the same time!

Alrighty, bought the pull on one from the store. Great for around the house, but not enough stability for out and about. Really just serves for more of a reminder not to spring to my feet and to keep being careful.

Had to tune up a schoolie so I wrapped it with VetWrap and it was perfect! Completely stopped any lateral movement so I knew I wouldn't twist it the wrong way while riding. Used 3/4 of a full size roll and wrapped right over a Zock. Had a student's mom who is a ER nurse check it and she said I did good! VetWrap saves the day again! Now I just have to track down my bandage scissors to get it off!

On the plus side, all this no-stirrup work is doing wonders... I am wondering if The Great GM doesn't have little magic rock elves that planted that rock strategically so I would have to pull the stirrups off my saddle again. haha

If you can find K-Tape somewhere, it works wonders! It's the only thing that helps my tendonitis.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Glad the vetwrap worked for you!
    Ankles take so long to get back to normal.. I know, unfortunately, from personal experience.
    Take care to get the best care you can so you don't end up with a weak ankle in the future. P.T. really helps...

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help! COTH'ers are the best! Thanks to the vetwrap ankle wrapping suggestion, I was able to accompany my adult student out for her first pace of the series, focus on her and not my pesky ankle, to get her the blue she had been after!

I think I may be on the hunt for some wide tread, but still heavy, stirrup irons to get me through this a little more comfortably though!

Quote Originally Posted by trinityhill View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help! COTH'ers are the best! Thanks to the vetwrap ankle wrapping suggestion, I was able to accompany my adult student out for her first pace of the series, focus on her and not my pesky ankle, to get her the blue she had been after!

I think I may be on the hunt for some wide tread, but still heavy, stirrup irons to get me through this a little more comfortably though!
    Congratulations!

Gob on eBay and type in "ankle brace." The selection is amazing.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

If it continues to be a problem, definitely go to a doctor. I thought I had just sprained mine and let it chill for a week or so. A year later I was still having pain while riding and my ankle would just collapse while riding. Ending up having a bone bruise in the joint. Advised to not ride for several months and had to wear a special brace for that time. I also got custom orthotics, which were amazing in my riding boots. Had to take the original soles out of my paddock boots to get them to fit but they were amazing. Really helped me out. I haven't had any pain for a while unless i'm riding too braced on my stirrups but I still ride with my orthotics.