The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Short Girth Sizing?

Hello dressageland

A friend of mine is going to give me her dressage saddle on semi-permanent loan if it fits my pony, which I am super excited about!

But, since I've never actually owned my own dressage saddle or had to buy fittings for one, I have NO IDEA what size girth I'd need. How do long/short girths compare size wise? If my pony wears a 44" in a long girth, what size short girth would he need?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

subtract 26" from the regular girth size, so your pony would be an 18" dressage girth (give or take depending on the style or brand)

Cadance's rule is a good "rule of thumb" but it does depend on billet length.

Speaking of which... (thread hijack here), does anyone know of a girth similar to the Jeffries Symbian Girth that comes in a 20 inch or 18 inch size? I have the 22 inch for my mare and love it but am on the top billet holes on my saddle... Mare is slightly fat and if she drops even a little weight, I won't be able to use this girth. Both she and I prefer non-leather, and the sliding girth buckles on the Symbian ensure a good fit, so I would like to stay with something that has them.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Thank you! Most helpful.

PONY'TUDE

You know...I would love to be able to find girths in smaller sizes...specifically 18". My mare is small, and I have long billets on my saddle, so it makes fitting hard. She's touchy as well...so when I find a girth that works for the princess, I love it! The problem is finding them in small enough sizes.

We need to get a COTH Dressage Pony group together and petition the girth manufacturer's to make some smaller sized ones. Surely, with all the pony riders out there, it would be a decent market.
    Unashamed Member of the Dressage Arab Clique
    CRAYOLA POSSE= Thistle

For those of you looking for smaller sized girths: http://www.trumbullmtn.com/store/fit...rths/intrepid/

More pony dressage girths
    http://www.justforponies.com/girths.aspx
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Blkarab View Post
    You know...I would love to be able to find girths in smaller sizes...specifically 18". My mare is small, and I have long billets on my saddle, so it makes fitting hard. She's touchy as well...so when I find a girth that works for the princess, I love it! The problem is finding them in small enough sizes.

We need to get a COTH Dressage Pony group together and petition the girth manufacturer's to make some smaller sized ones. Surely, with all the pony riders out there, it would be a decent market.
    Yes!! Finding pony sized ANYTHING is tough... especially when you have a large right on the line between pony and cob. But I love me some good sport ponies. My GRP doesn't know he's 14.1, when i find his extended trot button... holy cow watch out!

PONY'TUDE

Lemme know if you find any short dressage girth in BROWN that costs less than $130! Most of the brown ones are Schumachers or the like that cost $250+!! Too rich for my budget.

My mare wears a 44" girth with my AP saddle. I use an 20" girth with my dressage saddle.