The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Splint boot suggestions

My gelding has been wearing Woof Wear Ultra Boots on all four legs, and recently he has become very irritated when riding. He will be going along and violently throw his head down to rub his nose to his legs. He will also kick or stomp his hind legs when he is standing still. I notice when I untack that his legs are quite sweaty and hot. After a few rides, I decided to try riding without the boots, and he has been just fine, so itching/rubbing or kicking out. I've been riding for almost 2 weeks with no trouble at all, then I rode yesterday in boots, and he was a hot mess! Head throwing, constant rubbing, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions for boots that are cooler or lighter? I really don't want him to go without boots. His movement is such that I don't want him to get hurt. Thanks!

Have you tried any boots besides woof boots? It may not be those specific boots, it might just be boots in general. I've used woof boots on many different horses of different breeds, ages, heights, and levels of sensitivity ever since I began riding and never had an issue with them.

Are they clean? Worn out maybe? I've never had a problem with Woofs either but does not mean it can't happen.

Not much out there that is cooler, unless you get into the cross country type boots like Premier or Kentucky Horse Boots.

You can always just go au natural.

Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Oh sure! They are out until Sept!

I would just ride him without boots if he is more comfortable that way.

Also, it is possible that he has developed an allergy to neoprene, I suppose. You could try something that is not neoprene.

Dover has a similar boot, which I actually like better than the SmartPak version.

I would just let him go naked since he obviously prefers that. You can't protect them from everything.

Quote Originally Posted by runwayz View Post
    Oh sure! They are out until Sept!
    Oops! Sorry! Guess I ordered mine before they ran out. It appears that only white fronts are out until September; medium white hinds and black fronts will be available in July. Black hinds and large white hinds are currently in stock. (12:44 PM EST 6/21/2012)

I also have these ones from Dover: http://www.doversaddlery.com/dover-p...ng/p/NC-04239/ I think I actually only paid $14.99 or $19.99/pr at Dover when I bought mine. But they are also an option.
    Founder, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous
    Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

I would go naked or use a wrap that is designed to keep them cool. Like saratoga bandages or the T Sport wraps.

Unless you're worried about interfering, I'd just leave his legs naked...

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I would just let him go naked since he obviously prefers that. You can't protect them from everything.
    Yeah, this is pretty much the conclusion I have reached regarding horses as well. It took me a while to get there, but it is actually much less stressful when you accept it.

I legitimately HATE Woof boots. I know people who swear by them, but I loathe them.

I'd just let him go with nothing on. It sounds like he really does not like having boots on.
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.