The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Dove View Post
    If Margie had a server concussion she should NOT have gone to the WCF!!! The selectors were watching the horses that showed there and Indigo didn't do well. ...
    I'm a complete outsider to this world, but given all the negative press lately about sports-induced concussions, and this rider choosing to ride before she was healed, it's not that surprising the selectors would be wary of her.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by ynl063w View Post
    Maybe COTH holds a bit of responsibility for including her comments in that particular article. Perhaps a separate piece would have been more appropriate. .
    I kind of felt that way myself. Seemed a bit out of place in the article considering it took up 3/4 of the page and I don't remember the title having anything to do with her comments (if I remember correctly?). Funny how the "media" can do that to ruffle some feathers...
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by jlphilli View Post
    I kind of felt that way myself. Seemed a bit out of place in the article considering it took up 3/4 of the page and I don't remember the title having anything to do with her comments (if I remember correctly?). Funny how the "media" can do that to ruffle some feathers...
    Yeah, the article had to do about the team not Margie being mad that she didn't make the team. I don't think COTH should've included her comments in the article either. I also think her comments should've been made public after the commotion of the team being made was over.

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    I'm a complete outsider to this world, but given all the negative press lately about sports-induced concussions, and this rider choosing to ride before she was healed, it's not that surprising the selectors would be wary of her.
    Well, it's not the first time that Margie made a bad decision. There are many times that I can recall that she was injured and choose to ride before the doctor wanted her too. There's something wrong when someone doesn't listen to their doctors orders!
    Last edited by Secret Dove; Jun. 20, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Many people make decisions that are not always perfect but there are sometimes variables that we dont all know about such as obligations.to clients. I am sure in hindsight she wishes she did not go to WC too.
    As far as what she said about being disapointed l think this is a far cry from being mad or talking negative about anyone else. As a friend of hers I happen to know she did not call in to ask to talk about this and probably did not even know it was in the same article that it came out in They called her. As this is probably not the best timing to talk about the process if people take this as a negative towards anything to do with the Olympics I know she has asked them to take this out But l do think it is something we should talk about at some point as it never hurts to review anything and try to make it better. Arent we all always trying to improve?????

As the author of the article in question, I'd like to just point out that getting Margie's comments was a very valid inclusion journalistically. She was a co-winner of the selection trials, and I think many people wondered why she did not make the final cut for the team. When we announced the news on the Chronicle's Facebook page, there were multiple people who responded 'What about Margie?'.

We talk to people who make the team, but it's also newsworthy to talk to those who were considered favorites for the team but did not achieve that goal. The story wasn't just about the team, but also about what happened in the final stages of the selection process, trying to answer questions for readers about why certain names did and didn't appear.

Margie very kindly responded to my request for her reaction, and while I tried to frame her responses in the tone which she intended, many of you misread her as expressing bitterness or sour grapes, which was definitely not her intention. After being informed of the debate here and some of the extremely negative comments, Margie has retracted much of her statement. She did not want to detract from positive discussion about the team named. Perhaps in the future she and I will discuss her thoughts on the selection process.

As always, if you have any questions or comments about a Chronicle article, you can reach the writer in question directly via email through our website, which is a much more productive way to question our writing than through posting on the forums. My email is molly@chronofhorse.com

Molly, can you clarify whether the nominated entries will be showing in Europe/anywhere before the games? And if so, whether the team is likely to change because of those results? Obviously if someone is hurt that would change things...but otherwise?

ETA- In an interview with Reed she said the USEF was bringing the top 6 from the list, and she was bringing Mika because he was 7th, and will probably show before/after the games. I was just wondering if there would be an additional observation type event.

Molly, thanks for taking the time to post here.

As I stated earlier, I did not take Margie's comments as sour grapes or poor sportsmanship, but as an understandable reaction to the major shuffle in the placings for the final standings.

I'm sure many, many people wondered about it, not just the ones who posted on Facebook. Thanks for your efforts to get the full story.

Chapel Hill and Southern Pines, North Carolina

Molly! I for one support your decision, support that ME granted the space to gripe or in fact raise "questions"and comment that IN GENERAL we as a country are less civil as regards ANY disagreeing opinion! It all gets personal! It gets black and white! Nothing ever is so clear! Whatever happened to thoughtful disagreement! It can only lead to improving or defending why system should stay the same! How creative capital is built!
    "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Molly-

I did not take Margie's comments as "sour grapes." I think what caused me to pause for thought (after the previous comments) was the fact that the bulk of the article seemed to center around Margie's comments, when the title of the article was supposed to be about the selected team. I agree that "what about Margie?" does have to do with the selected team, but I guess it may have come across as misleading since she wasn't mentioned in the title? Just my thoughts as to why some could have considered it as such!
    Last edited by jlphilli; Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:00 AM. Reason: clarification
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Molly-

I did not take Margie's comments as "sour grapes." I think what caused me to pause for thought (after the previous comments) was the fact that the bulk of the article seemed to center around Margie's comments, when the title of the article was supposed to be about the selected team. I agree that "what about Margie?" does have to do with the selected team, but I guess it may have come across as misleading since she wasn't mentioned in the title? Just my thoughts as to why some could have considered it as such!
    I think what may have happened is the link we all followed went directly to the page with Margie's comments, thus omitting the (I think 3?) pages that preceded it.

Perception is everything. Molly, I fully agree that Margie's words were proper journalistic inclusion and am sad to see she has retracted them. Things are just perceived differently in the snapshot of life the online world gives us, and instantaneous judgement seems to be the outcome. My apologies, I don't know if a different layout would have saved her words or not.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

I did not take Margie's comments as "sour grapes." I think what caused me to pause for thought (after the previous comments) was the fact that the bulk of the article seemed to center around Margie's comments, when the title of the article was supposed to be about the selected team. I agree that "what about Margie?" does have to do with the selected team, but I guess it may have come across as misleading since she wasn't mentioned in the title?
    "The bulk of the article"? What article were you reading?

It's a six page article. Margie's original comments took up part of page five, IIRC.

The first four-and-a-half pages are about the ones who made the team.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    "The bulk of the article"? What article were you reading?

It's a six page article. Margie's original comments took up part of page five, IIRC.

The first four-and-a-half pages are about the ones who made the team.
    Oh sorry, it was awhile since I looked at it... I just saw the first page of it and must've not seen the pages after the Margie segment. I guess I didn't bother looking back b/c I assumed since everyone else was "in a fuss" it was what I had originally looked at. My mistake!
    Last edited by jlphilli; Jun. 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: clarification

Molly maybe you could do an article about the selection process after the Olympics?

Molly - thanks for updating everyone about your intent and the motivation behind ME's comments.

I hope you also informed ME of the supportive comments regarding her remarks.

As posted before - an environment that makes it so uncomfortable to given an honest opinion when it is requested that the speaker feels a need to retract then is not one that will be open and honest or transparent and those are all things that we all want.

ME's remarks were both entirely supportive of the chosen team and questioning of the process.

Its too bad that so many failed to recognize that those two things are NOT mutually exclusive.

^^This

Margie Engle is certainly not shy about saying what's on her mind. I found this in an article
    (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/2...on-london.html) from the Miami Herald published in March of this year:

"The last time Engle tried to qualify for the Olympics, in 2004, she was riding with a painful, partially healed broken hip — one of a dozen fractures she has sustained in crushing falls over the years. Nevertheless, she won the trials, the first step in the process. Then U.S. equestrian team officials told her to stop riding and risking damage to her hip. She said she was assured a place on the team would be reserved for her, and she could resume riding in Europe before the Athens Games.

“They reneged on the whole thing,” Engle said. “I should have gotten it in writing. I had to forget about the politics and move on.” "
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy: http://tinyurl.com/kj7x53c
    Stash: http://tinyurl.com/mmm3p4e