The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Equine Insurance Companies

Does anyone have any good suggestions for horse insurance companies?

I use Markel, just renewed. I really like them!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I haven't had the best customer service experiences with Markel, to be honest. I'm very much a policy number with them, but then again, I'm a small account. They've been easy to work with as far as getting a policy I liked and getting everything processed quickly, just don't expect to be wow'd by the experience. I spent most of the process mildly confused and annoyed.
    http://thoughtfulequestrian.blogspot.com - My Ventures Into Eventing

Broadstone. Broadstone. Broadstone.

Excellent customer service, speedy claims, reasonable rates. I've had nothing but good history with them.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

There have been several threads on this:
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=341665

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=338633

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=325624

Top companies people seem to use/recommend:
    1) Broadstone (including me. I have policies underwritten by the Hartford and have had excellent service both from Broadstone and on some large claims through the Hartford). I like using them as they are a sponsor of the USEA

2) Hallmark. I believe GotSpots still uses them and has had good experiences

3) Markel - mixed reviews IIRC

4) TaylorHarris - less well known in eventing, but a supporter of shows and through racing

Remember that you are dealing with both the agent and the actual insurer. I use Broadstone as my agent. They have a couple of different insurers as does TaylorHarris. I have had a superb experience with Hartford on 3 major claims over the past 6 years and they continue to insure my horses with no noticeable change in my policy costs (beyond standard inflation)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I used Broadstone a few years ago. I only ever came close to one claim with them but it ended just being xrays and stall rest so wasn't enough to submit anything. But they were great to deal with, very informative/helpful when weighing my options and called a couple of times to check up on him.

I'm bought my current policy last year with Tailor Harris Insurance and have a policy through Great American. I had a major claim last year juts a few weeks after taking out the policy. I think I'd only paid one premium. They were quick and efficient, I got my reimbursement checks in a very timely fashion.
    You can't fix stupid.

EMO all the way!
    I've used them for 12 plus years and have had nothing but an excellent experience.
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.

Was with Markel for over 15 years and had been very happy. In the last five years, their service has gone downhill. When I would call with questions, my contact could be down right rude. So, this year, I let my policy lapse and went with Hallmark. They offer great coverage and I know my rep personally.

I have Great American through Ziplow. I had a lengthy claim last year and was very happy with their service (both of them, the agent and the insurer)

Default Great American through Cunningham and Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I have Great American through Ziplow. I had a lengthy claim last year and was very happy with their service (both of them, the agent and the insurer)
    I've used Cunningham and Cunningham for the past four years for major medical and mortality. Have not had any reason to make a claim (YAY!!!) but have needed to have two different horses on trial bound for coverage and it was easy peasy to do. Several eventer friends, including my vet use them and all of us have been impressed by customer service. Sara Cunningham is wonderful to work with when calling for information or help with something.
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Quote Originally Posted by islgrl View Post
    I have Great American through Blue Bridle and have been very happy with them as well. Did have a very lengthy, costly claim, and they paid quickly and without hassle. Blue Bridle has always been great to work with, as has Great American.

GA also has the advantage of offering more major medical coverage than the worth of the horse, up to $15k. I believe other companies limit your cover to the worth of the horse. They also allow you to split your premium into four quarterly payments for a small (few dollar) fee.

I do have a 20% copay with my latest policy, though, which is a little off putting. Having more coverage than the worth of the horse was worth it for me, though.

broadstone. excellent to work with (and I have had alot of claims one a certain tb..and they still insured him)..easy to deal with. fast on the payments. Nice people to work with too.
    I love my OTTB! I get my dressage test done faster!

EMO and Great American. Very pleased with both. Have had one horse with significant claims, and did not find exclusions unfair, most removed after a year with a vet's note. Had one mortality claim which was as painlessly processed as such a thing can be.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by BBowen View Post
    Was with Markel for over 15 years and had been very happy. In the last five years, their service has gone downhill. When I would call with questions, my contact could be down right rude. So, this year, I let my policy lapse and went with Hallmark. They offer great coverage and I know my rep personally.
    Did pretty much the same thing. While the Markel rep wasn't rude, I just felt that I got better coverage w/ Hallmark at a lower rate.

Default Insurance Companies are NOT the same as Insurance Agencies

The OP asked about "good" insurance carriers. There have only been two named in this thread -- Markel and Great American. There are a few more choices than this in the equine mortality market. The market is relatively small as far as the carriers are concerned.

The majority of recommendations are for equine insurance agencies that can write for any number of different carriers. Nothing wrong with an agent, but what makes a good agent does not necessarily make a good company.

For me, a good mortality insurance company is a domestically licensed (versus an offshore) carrier with an AM Best rating of A or better. It will have been in this marketplace for at least 20 years; enough time to go through a couple insurance cycles. You want a carrier that has the commitment and wherewithal to be there when the market forces get tough. The carrier should not have lots of insurance department complaints about its business or claims practice. This information is obtainable from your state insurance department.

A good agent is valuable, but they can and typically do represent multiple carriers. Markel is one of the few carriers that will write direct to consumers. I've used them without problem, but then again, I've held insurance licenses for years and speak fluent "insurancese."
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Agree with Ironwood, I had my last policy through EMO, and while the agent was wonderful, the underwriter was absolutely terrible when I had to make a mortality claim.
    Chrissy

RIP Beaming Sportsfield (1998-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    EMO and Great American. Very pleased with both. Have had one horse with significant claims, and did not find exclusions unfair, most removed after a year with a vet's note. Had one mortality claim which was as painlessly processed as such a thing can be.
    Ditto this. EMO and GA have been great, and goodness knows I've had enough claims on mine (colic surgery, MRI and bone bruise, leg laceration....) and not had a problem. One year on, I've still got the colic exclusion, and probably will for a while, but they've removed the others after a year and my vet's report. They've always been easy to get in touch with, and prompt about processing claims.