The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I just ordered a new halater bridle but have a question.

How do you carry your leadrope? Is there a way to roll it up securely enough to snap it to your saddle ? If I tie it around his neck, it seems to get loose and come undone.... I am lead rope challenged it seems.

I don't carry a lead rope. I use long rope reins (8'+) with clips at the ends to connect to the bit. My halter/bridle has a ring under the chin so I can disconnect the reins from the bit, clip one end to the "chin" ring and tie or hold the other end, depending on what I'm doing. Bit comes out and I attach it to a ring on my saddle so I don't misplace it. So that's one way to go...
    Otherwise I'd use a saddle bag for the lead rope. However, I used to live in East Texas and the "real" cowboys had a way of tying their lead rope around the horse's neck so it didn't come undone - kind of twisted with some loops. Try googling or look at youtube to see if anyone has done a "how to" for that.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Thanks
    I found the Cavalry knot and that is what I need to do. Its apparently also called the Rochester - and there is a video on youtube that shows it being tied. The video is helpful.

I've yet to find a "halter bridle" that worked well as both a halter and a bridle. Too much compromise for me.

I use an M1909 Halter and M1909 Headstall, worn together. The Army designed these for co-wear and it works quite well. Add a lead rope with a "cavalry knot" and you're in business.

They can be had (in very good quality) from either Border States Leather (MO) or Tom's Cavalry Equipment (NY). Both Doug @ Border States and Tom in NY produce a very high quality product. Google them for more information.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

1 members found this post helpful.

I have one, a horse won it gee, over ten years ago now as a high point award. Have used it a number of times, it has its conveniences, but I don't necessarily feel inconvenienced by using a bridle and carrying a halter. So I'm sort of random over what I use (and depends on whether it's just a day or less, or back country trip, etc).

A friend of mine has one - I don't remember what brand. It's pretty cool! I've never used one, but I've been using the bosalita/get-down rope combo for years. Similar concept, and I like being able to get off to open gates, or tie my horse if I need to, or drop the bridle and take a graze break:

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...4_593488_n.jpg

MUCH nicer to work with than just a halter under the bridle.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    How do you carry your leadrope? Is there a way to roll it up securely enough to snap it to your saddle ? If I tie it around his neck, it seems to get loose and come undone.... I am lead rope challenged it seems.
    I like to loop my rope through my belt loop or my chink strap. That way, if my horse and I part company for some reason, I still have a hold of him.

Yikes Bensmama
    Aren't you worried about being dragged if the rope on your horse is tied to you?

Yikes Bensmama
    Aren't you worried about being dragged if the rope on your horse is tied to you?
    The rope isn't tied on though, just looped through the belt loop or something and I bet if the horse really got moving, the rope would just pull right out (plus, belt loops are dinky little things and probably could break easily). I do the same thing.

BensMama. Love the Wade saddle! Looks like the one I've been allowed to borrow from a friend. Billy Cook?

Yikes Bensmama
    Dreamswept's comment pretty much covered it. The rope is small and loosely looped through the belt loop/chink strap. I can pinch it between two fingers and pull it out with little resistance, so I'm fairly confident that if I did fall off, it would pull through rather than drag me.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    The rope isn't tied on though, just looped through the belt loop or something and I bet if the horse really got moving, the rope would just pull right out (plus, belt loops are dinky little things and probably could break easily). I do the same thing.

BensMama. Love the Wade saddle! Looks like the one I've been allowed to borrow from a friend. Billy Cook?
    Thanks! I LOVE it. It's a custom saddle made by a saddlemaker friend of mine. Breaking in the roughout was a little intense, but the more I ride it, the more I love it!
    Life is short. Ride your best horse first.

I have a Zilco Deluxe endurance halter/bridle. Love it.

Mine is all royal blue.

http://www.zilco.com.au/attachments/...?ts=1343973330