The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird skin condition.....runs the length of the belly

My three year old filly has a long strip of hair loss with some breakdown (open sores) along the underside of her belly running all the way from her chest to her udder. It is itchy for her and she reaches under it and scratches with her teeth which may be the reason for the sores. Any idea what this could be? What should I use to treat it?

Black flies, maybe? They like to go for the belly and ears. Some insect repellent and topical steroids will usually clear it up.
    Click here before you buy.

tiny black flies
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Yep, sounds like an insect problem to me, too. When my ancient mare had similiar issues, I ended up smearing swat down the middle of her belly, and that really helped.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

I'm in the PNW.......I don't think we have black flies? It hasn't really warmed up here yet so we don't have an insect problem yet.

Check out the long Neck Threadworm thread on here, should be on this page or one or two back, possibility... It's called something Onchocerca (sp?) and is very long. Maybe try a double dose of Ivermectin and see if there's a difference.
    Quarry Rat

Around here the black flies are the very first ones to come out, usually in early May but this year it was April since we had a short, mild winter.
    Click here before you buy.

Not sure what causes this but my old TB gelding gets this every summer. I keep it under control by applying Swat regularly. This year I started early with the Swat and so far I haven't had much of a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by fibbermaggee View Post
    I'm in the PNW.......I don't think we have black flies? It hasn't really warmed up here yet so we don't have an insect problem yet.
    Not sure where you are located in the PNW, but in Washington, both sides of the mtns, we have little black gnats that bite like the devil. Some horses aren't bothered, but both of my current horses swell up and have a pretty big reactions. They will bite around the eyes, chest and all down the belly.

I have actually started putting a couple of ounces of Off Family Care repellant (has DEET) into a quart of Endure fly spray. That seems to be working. Swat doesn't last long enough by itself, but if you spray on top that helps. I use War Paint in their ears, underneath their tummies, in front and on sheaths and in front of udders, on their chests and the ring around their eyes. My horses get a lot of pasture time, so the War Paint is worth some dirty spots as it lasts a long time...a week or so.

Also slather on some Benedryl or Caladryl lotion on the itchy spots, that really helps. For a bad reaction, I will give generic Zyrtec from Costco orally and that works better than any other antihistamine I've tried. My vets are all for it since it works. Of course, if you are showing, don't do the Zyrtec, I don't know it is will test.
    Last edited by craz4crtrs; Jun. 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Forgot something...

We had gelding with this problem and Shapley's MTG took care of it. He got itchy on inside of his thighs as well.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Maybe not black flies, but some sort of insect-related irritation.
    My Big Guy got this last Summer - itchy & irritated with hairloss all down his midline.
    Applying SWAT, then flyspraying his belly heavily once the irritation cleared up helped.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Black flies! Some, horses get to the point of scrubbing their bellies on the ground. Fly spray ((a ton)bbefore going out. Ointment when brought in.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Swat seems to work the best for mine

Horn flies will also do this. Are there cattle nearby?

It is from bugs. Poison is one option, but I'd help the skin be more resilient. Sweat on the coat, shampoos that use salt (standard ingredient) and not currying enough can all contribute to the skin being vulnerable. Add spraying poison on open pores... it all adds up. If it is tender, now may not be best time to start your currying regiment before and after work. As a rule, currying is a great way to stimulate natural protective oils and exfoliate to release them.

For now, you want to use a shampoo and salve that actually add oils and nutrients to enrich the coat. Anything oily will attract more problems. Here are thoughts on making skin resilient:
    https://www.facebook.com/ShinyHappyH...type=1&theater

Here is more on breaking the itching cycle: https://www.facebook.com/ShinyHappyH...type=1&theater

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Black flies! Some, horses get to the point of scrubbing their bellies on the ground. Fly spray ((a ton)bbefore going out. Ointment when brought in.
    We had one that would straddle a small bush and rock back and forth to itch his belly in the summer.

Lately we've had good results with Belly Balm on a little mare that is very sensitive.

Sand flies will do this also, tiny little things, like flying flies,

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    We had one that would straddle a small bush and rock back and forth to itch his belly in the summer.

I concur! I don't know what sort of flies get up under there and initiate the biting, but Ted will actually go out in the woods and either find or create a short sapling, and then scratch his belly with it, leaving open sores that itch like crazy.

Daily I hose them off to get the crusties off, then apply Tricare ointment (pain reliever/antibiotic/insect repellant in one). That clears it up until the next bug bites. Always one more bug...

Around here it's the gnats (or whatever fly around with the gnats) and they're definitely already around in spades despite (or maybe thanks to) the wet weather we've had so far this season.

Fly spray all over and SWAT on the midline helped my really bad guy who used to end up completely raw from sheath to chest. I finally bought him an Amigo Bugbuster sheet and that made all the difference in the world. So I vote for a flysheet impregnated with fly spray (I know Amigo and Rambo both have their own versions, maybe there are more out there now???).

Culicodies hypersensitivity.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.