The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Show Breeches Should I Buy?

Ok, so it looks like I may be showing again. My old TS and Pytchley breeches are waaaaaay too big. Must have lost some weight. They are also the old school higher rise versions. If I'm shopping for breeches, what is everyone wearing these days at the local and rated shows? Is the greenish-beige still in or has everyone swapped over to tan? Also, it seems EVERYTHING is low-rise. Not sure those are for me until I try them on. I don't want to constantly be pulling them up. I also read somewhere on here that low-rise looks crappy with a shadbelly. I only want to buy one pair right now. Open to opinions and suggestions. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bascule7; Jun. 18, 2012 at 09:57 AM.

You'll see a lot of TS and comparable breeches nowadays, more so in the tan color then the green-beige. While a lot of people do wear low-rise, if you are planning on only having one pair that would also be used with a shad, go regular rise.

RJ Classic's, they are 1/2 the price of Tailored's and (at least I think) are better material. They come in both low rise and regular rise.

I wear the regular (legs are longer than torso) my friend wears the low rise (longer torso than legs) if that is any help . .they actually hit us both in about the same place on our bodies. Though neither of us wear a shad.

I also recommend the RJ Classics. Mine are the Sterling mid-rise, and I love them. They are making some newer versions, too.

I have heard the Hoof & Woof are very nice and much less expensive than most of the premium brands.

I have a pair of Hoof & Woof breeches that are very nice. However, I have never even seen Tailored breeches so I don't know how they compare.

The breech I'm seeing the most at the A shows around here are the Tailored Sportsman trophy hunter breeches with the euro seat, in tan for hunters and eq. They come in a mid-rise. I agree with the other brands others are recommending too, and a lot of people also like the FITS Beka knee patch breeches. I just got a pair and they look great and are a more mid-rise fit too.

Ariat Olympia! I'm obsessed. They are so nice. They come in front or side zip with a euroseat in the tan color that's 'in' now, and the fabric is lovely.
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

IMO...can't ever go wrong with regular rise breeches. They work with whatever you're wearing whether it be a coat or shad. FWIW, Tailored Sportsmans are most traditional.

TS Trophy mid-rise were my latest choice! The low-rise does not cut it unless you have a shorter torso, at least in my opinion. Tan is much more flattering than the puke green of yore

I'm all about the Pikeur Ciara's. They are well worth the price.

Default Thanks guys.

Very helpful. Yep, I am long-wasited, so the low-rise are going to look odd, I think. I'm planning to go try stuff on in the next week or so. Now, I just need to unload the three pairs I can no longer wear. Unfortunately, one of them is the "puke green of yore".....which I still kind of like. They'd be great schooling pants for somebody or possibly a non-rated rider who doesn't care what color they are.

I have tried SEVERAL types of breeches... ranging from $80- 400 pair, I by far prefer my Kerrits Flo Rise breeches.
    I have never ridden in a more comfortable breeche in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by pryme_thyme View Post
    I have tried SEVERAL types of breeches... ranging from $80- 400 pair, I by far prefer my Kerrits Flo Rise breeches.
    I have never ridden in a more comfortable breeche in my life!
    Not really a show breech, though.

I love the TS trophy hunters in low rise. They aren't that low, and if you get a "long" you get more length in the rise. Have them in both front and side zip.

I haven't seen puke green in a few years now, except on rare occasion.

Related question:

I like the old, thicker, helenca fabric of the 2-way TS Royal Hunters. It covers blemishes better than the thinner, clingier fabrics, IMO. Is there anything comparable out there?

Quote Originally Posted by lmlacross View Post
    Related question:

I like the old, thicker, helenca fabric of the 2-way TS Royal Hunters. It covers blemishes better than the thinner, clingier fabrics, IMO. Is there anything comparable out there?
    I am the opposite but if you like thicker fabrics check out Arista Breeches. Verrry good quality! My two pairs have lasted 6 years and I use them twice a week each.

Quote Originally Posted by lmlacross View Post
    Related question:

What size are you? I HATE these - there is just no give and I have a few pairs hanging in my closet that I'm sure I will never wear again.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonHJ View Post
    What size are you? I HATE these - there is just no give and I have a few pairs hanging in my closet that I'm sure I will never wear again.
    Wow! 30ish, but can go a size up or down depending on how much extra baggage I'm carrying! (-:

I HATE THEM TOO. I have a pair of puke-green Pytchleys that are of the same ilk, size 28R, high rise, used but those things wear like iron so perfectly useful still!
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

TS Trophy mid-rise were my latest choice! The low-rise does not cut it unless you have a shorter torso, at least in my opinion. Tan is much more flattering than the puke green of yore
    ^^This. I have both the low-rise and mid-rise of the TS Trophy's, and I LOVE the mid-rise. Best fitting, most comfortable breeches I've had in years.
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

Quote Originally Posted by caradino View Post
    I HATE THEM TOO. I have a pair of puke-green Pytchleys that are of the same ilk, size 28R, high rise, used but those things wear like iron so perfectly useful still!
    My first real pair of "show" breeches were green-beige Pytchleys. I'm a huge fan! Caradino and BostonHJ, you can send them all to me!! (-: