The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Showing the B circuit when you should be doing the A circuit...isssues?

I dont want to come off arrogant or winey.

I have a nice hunter, experienced and talented. I am an average amateur rider who can put together a good course, but can also have minor (and some major!) mistakes.

I have done the A circuit with said horse, and received decent ribbons. Never a winner, but usually jogged for something if we found all 8.

After a year off (and year off lessons) I am showing again this summer. This year I can not afford or desire to show onthe A circuit. Horse is sick of the two day shows (as am I), and the B ciruit offers good prices, divisions over 1 day and decent showgrounds.

The issue is, the "comments" that we dont "belong" in this circuit. As far as quality goes, my horse fits in right in the middle. However, I think our long term partnership has left us with one major strength - consistency. Because of this, we frequently jog top 3.

Should I feel bad about showing in a B circuit? At first I didnt, because I know there are honestly some very nice quality horses. But even my friend told me the other day that I should think about doing something else.

I dont want to be a jerk, but I do enjoy showing and the A circuit right now is just not an option. I dont feel like me or my horse are better than the others I show against, but I almost feel more pressure to win because its whats now "expected".

What would you do in a situation like this?

Your equestrian pursuits are something you are doing for your own enjoyment and happiness. Do what makes you and your horse happy and never mind what other people say. I know it can be hard to ignore those kind of comments, but there will always be someone saying something you wished they wouldn't.

Perhaps your friend meant what he/she said that as a compliment regarding your riding ability and the partnership you have with your horse.

Show on whatever circuit you want and at whatever level you feel like. If you feel you need a challenge, you could always try a schooling dressage show or horse trials or something else- something totally different compared to what you are used to doing.
    Last edited by SnicklefritzG; Jun. 18, 2012 at 12:33 AM.

What kind of friend is this?

If you are showing in a division you are allowed in, what the heck is the problem? You are winning most of the time, so what? There will be a winner anyway so better it be you!

Of course it can make some people jealous but if YOU and your horse are comfortable showing at that level on that circuit then just do it. Play by the rules, if the rules say you can, you can.

Why not asking your friend if she/he would like to finance you for the 'something else' you are supposed to do...

Sounds to me that your "friend" could be jealous of your success. As long as you're following the reules and showing only in divisions that you are eligible to show in, what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time Rider View Post
    Sounds to me that your "friend" could be jealous of your success. As long as you're following the reules and showing only in divisions that you are eligible to show in, what's the problem?
    This. I did the Adult Hunters this winter at C shows on a horse who had just came from Maclay finals out of a very BNT's barn. We won every class. It's what I can afford right now and what my schedule allows (totally agree with you regarding divisions running on one day!) so I do it. As long as you're not breaking any rules, have fun, enjoy your horse and keep winning.

Do you out-ride your friend (pin higher and/or show in the same division)? Or is this as simple as a compliment and you're maybe over analyzing it?

It sure sounds like jealousy to me.

Friend is not jealous We dont show together. She actually doesnt even show H J at all. We often exchange grooming services for each other, and she did groom for me when I did ride on the A circuit so she probably thinks Im a much better rider than I currently am.

BUT, that comment did get to me. I suppose Im overanalyzing.

I want one last fun year with my horse, and after this year maybe he can teach someone else the ropes of the hunter world. But for now, Im having a blast and I appreciate the COTH support

Go to the shows you want.

It's great for people to watch a "good ammy" on a nice horse put in consistent rides. IMO, that's what we should all aspire to. If you bring that to a B show, so much the better.

Have you gotten snide remarks from anyone at these shows? If your friend doesn't compete with you, don't worry about it. Perhaps she doesn't know that in H/J world, you can show in whatever show you like, so long as you pick the appropriate division.

Enjoy your shows!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I TOTALLY understand!

I have a packer who has done everything, including winning the adult medal finals (clearly, not with me).

Ive also been off a year, and leased my horse out last year. This is my first year back with him and am also doing our equivalent to the B circuit.

My horse is a saint in the ring, and has a great jump so if I dont interfere hes usually at the top too. I always mess up at least one jump though and he hacks like a bucking bronco so I have to do really well over fences in order to get champion.

Im planning on finishing the season then giving the jumpers a try (and prepare to loose!). Im never selling him, and hes still youngish so not ready to retire either. I will never afford to be able to show on the As again (maybe the occasional show, but never the whole season), so I will play around with him and create a new challenge for ourselves. But for now, its fun and affordable so I would say stick with it and when you get bored then you know its time to move on

Do you think Destry Speilberg has any of the same anxiety about showing Rumba in the Children's Hunters?

I think not.

There are dozens of other high profile examples of showing down a level, your reasons are probably the most palatable.

Enjoy your horse and have a great show season.

Should I feel bad about showing in a B circuit? At first I didnt, because I know there are honestly some very nice quality horses. But even my friend told me the other day that I should think about doing something else.
    There is no requirement for B shows that the horses showing need to be of a lesser quality. They can step up to your performance. Showing the A shows is not just about a nice horse, but about being able to afford it/schedule it etc. If what you have the financial, time and desire to show in are the B shows, then there you have it. Go, have fun, do your best... that's the point, no matter where you show. And if you outshine everyone and win, that is their problem, not yours.

Last I checked, it's a horse SHOW. You are there to SHOW & may the best horse/rider win. There are going to be winners & losers once you leave leadline folks...either deal with it or go find another class that hands out "participation only" ribbons. What I find really sad about this situation is instead of people trying to rise up to the competition level, they just want to lower the bar by eliminating or trying to get rid of better riders/horses playing in their sandbox.

Given the economy & people's finances, I think the level of competition at lower level or unrated shows has risen. At least that is what I have noticed in my area. People don't want to show at week long shows or spend the $$$ for big shows or they just can't afford to. So if you want to show, where does this leave you to go?

OP--keep showing wherever you want. If you are going in classes you are eligible for, you are doing nothing wrong. Find a new group of show friends & have a good time.

You should absolutely go to the B shows and show in the divisions you're eligible for -- it's what you can afford! That said, just be sure that nothing you're saying out loud indicates that you think you're slumming or that you're only there because of the money thing. I'm sure you wouldn't dream of doing that intentionally, but what we say and how it's taken can sometimes be further apart than we'd like.

I have shown against Katie Prudent and Joe Fargis at schooling shows. Katie was riding the horse she won the Grand Prix of West Palm on.

Ergo - you have nothing to worry about. Show your horse, enjoy. Not everyone can consistently pay A show prices, and a lot of us would rather see schooling shows step it up anyway.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia73 View Post
    There is no requirement for B shows that the horses showing need to be of a lesser quality. They can step up to your performance.
    THIS!

Or, you can always come to the Dark Side and dabble in 3-day eventing for a change of scenery.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Funny, we were just at a Trillium show (our B shows) this weekend and one of the younger girls from the barn commented that one of the amateurs has been showing her horse for ages and always does well. She then wanted to know why they wouldn't move on to the A's.
    We explained that there could be plenty of reasons, money, coach doesn't do A, time off work, other responsibilities, etc. that cause a person to show trillium versus A even when they have a great horse.

I vote with everyone else...keep showing B and having a good time! There are lots of reasons people who have shown A circuit at one time or another now show B circuit. I think it is great when there is good quality and good competition at the lower rated shows, and I say that as someone who is primarily a B circuit competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I have shown against Katie Prudent and Joe Fargis at schooling shows. Katie was riding the horse she won the Grand Prix of West Palm on.

Ergo - you have nothing to worry about. Show your horse, enjoy. Not everyone can consistently pay A show prices, and a lot of us would rather see schooling shows step it up anyway.
    I agree! We can't all afford A shows all the time. Actually, some of the prized at B shows are better, and you get the plus of the rings being run more efficiently, so it is a sensible decision!

ETA: I've actually done a few classes with either my trainer or trainers I know in them. I love competing against riders that are better than I...it makes me step it up!
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

What would I do? Show at the shows I want to show at based on the needs of me, my horse and my pocketbook.

If you are showing in the same division that you normally would, the show rating should not matter. There is also nothing wrong if you normally show in, say, the A/Os at the AA or A rated shows if you decide to show in the Adult Amateurs at a B or C show. Barring any restrictions in the regulations for the class or division, there is nothing, I am aware of, that relegates a horse or rider to a specfic show rating or division.

Congratulations on reaching a point in your partnership with your horse where you are putting in consistent trips! It is something many of us aspire to