The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Rita Crundwell 400 horses to be sold

Anyone have an idea what these mares are? - NO NAME (BROODMARE - COLLAR G308) - UNNAMED FOAL

Can AQHA horses go unnamed and still be registered?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    Anyone have an idea what these mares are? - NO NAME (BROODMARE - COLLAR G308) - UNNAMED FOAL

Can AQHA horses go unnamed and still be registered?
    Could be an ET recipient mare. Or a foal who's reg papers have not been sent in yet.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Living close to Dixon this is all over the news pretty much on a daily basis.

My guess is that the sale will be held outside dixon and that the Wisconsin horses will be brought to Illinois.

I know quite a few people that are going to the sale.

Well, hope she's convicted as guilty. Going to be a real embarrassment if she's not!

(Sure, she LOOKS guilty as sin, but whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty" here?)

"During the period of July 2006 through March 2012, Crundwell paid $30,173,009.02 in checks, online payments, and other withdrawals. Of those items, only six checks, made payable to the "Sewage Fund" and "Corporate Fund," totaling $153,745.93, related to business conducted by the City of Dixon."

Thirty Million Dollars sucked out of a city coffer? That's an awful lot of Fruitbat Guano...
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

400 horses?!

Sheesh, do you really need that many to play with the big boys in AQHA?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    400 horses?!

Sheesh, do you really need that many to play with the big boys in AQHA?
    No, but it sure makes it easy to play with the big boys in the federal penitentiary.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I'm wondering if this sale will somehow hurt AQHA prices? All this good flesh coming on the market at one time?? At the very least, someone is going to get some good blood for a fraction of the price. I wonder what all the other breeders who have brothers/sisters of these horses are thinking, all the controlled trickle of good blood hitting the market in one fell swoop. Thinking their prices are gonna drop further??

I kinda see a cluster in the making...
    Last edited by goneriding24; Jun. 18, 2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Nobody, but nobody, but nobody needs 400 horses. I'd add "hoarder" to this woman's pathology. Yeah, it's high-end hoarding, but still.

Just what the horse market needs--another 400 needing homes. Granted, they should be easier to place, but, again ...

This person needs to be kept under lock and key.
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

does that herd not include a bunch of halter cows, I mean horses?
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

The only person who needs 400 horses is an abottoir.

Where were all these horses kept? Were they scattered all around?

400!!!! Just insane...

Quote Originally Posted by Belg View Post
    No, but it sure makes it easy to play with the big boys in the federal penitentiary.
    Best comment!
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedhAlter View Post
    The only person who needs 400 horses is an abottoir.
    I am sure they like the slap of beef kind, too.

They were at various farms, and some of these "horses" are embroys and foals, I believe.

The original figure was around 315 horses. Still too many, but she was running a huge breeding operation in two states (WI and IL).

I think most of them are those very fat HYPP type horses for halter use. Although I thought she did show in pleasure classes, too. It didn't seem like any of them were performance, like reining or cutting horses.

It is terrible the market will have to bear at least 300 horses and a good number of foals being sold all at once. That is a lot of horses to find homes, probably many unbroken broodmares of various ages.

And, once they get sold, they are going to be given away, sold on Craigslist, and end up in rescues. I doubt that these 300-400 horses sold at an auction will all end up in "forever" homes, or even show homes.

She was VERY irresponsible in breeding and buying all these horses without a thought what would happen to them if the worst case occurred, which it did. shameful!

I "think" that for the most part she she bred high quality stock. Take that lightly to include the monstrosities bred for halter classes. Her program was pretty well known and respected so I'd assume that most of the top end horses will be picked up by her peers and maybe they'll get them at a steal.

The ones I worry about are the ET mares and older stock. Some just are not that in fashion any more and those might be in jeopardy.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Quote Originally Posted by Kwill View Post
    They were at various farms, and some of these "horses" are embroys and foals, I believe.

The original figure was around 315 horses. Still too many, but she was running a huge breeding operation in two states (WI and IL).

I think most of them are those very fat HYPP type horses for halter use. Although I thought she did show in pleasure classes, too. It didn't seem like any of them were performance, like reining or cutting horses.

It is terrible the market will have to bear at least 300 horses and a good number of foals being sold all at once. That is a lot of horses to find homes, probably many unbroken broodmares of various ages.

And, once they get sold, they are going to be given away, sold on Craigslist, and end up in rescues. I doubt that these 300-400 horses sold at an auction will all end up in "forever" homes, or even show homes.

She was VERY irresponsible in breeding and buying all these horses without a thought what would happen to them if the worst case occurred, which it did. shameful!

Considering that she stole the money to do it....it's just par for the course. The bubble was never going to burst on her....

Quote Originally Posted by monstrpony View Post
    Nobody, but nobody, but nobody needs 400 horses. I'd add "hoarder" to this woman's pathology. Yeah, it's high-end hoarding, but still.

Just what the horse market needs--another 400 needing homes. Granted, they should be easier to place, but, again ...

This person needs to be kept under lock and key.
    Did she breed all those horses?

If she didn't breed them, she is not responsible for the fact that the horses EXIST. They would have needed a home somehwhere whether she provided it or somebody else

Even if she was running a breeding operation, she still would have to buy the mares from somebody else who bred them, so probably not all of the horses owe their existence to her activities.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Did she breed all those horses?

If she didn't breed them, she is not responsible for the fact that the horses EXIST. They would have needed a home somehwhere whether she provided it or somebody else.
    well, I am sure she bought some as seed stock for her operation....but owning this many animals is mind boggling. The sheik had reportedly 600 in the 1980s...that number was HUGE, but he was sitting at the top of an oil RICH nation...not in the office of a small town....