The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Skin flaking?

In the past month or so as it has warmed up my horse has been getting really flakey skin mostly on his neck and upper legs. I think it's from sweat, bugs, etc. I try to rinse him off after every ride to keep sweat from building up and do lots of currying. Is there anything else I can do?

Hard to say without seeing it but if I had to guess he is getting blistered by his fly spray. Those are the most common areas for that to occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Hard to say without seeing it but if I had to guess he is getting blistered by his fly spray. Those are the most common areas for that to occur.
    That's exactly what I was thinking too. Oil based fly sprays too close to the skin and sun make for flaky skin.

Try washing with a skin conditioning type soap and water based fly spray.
    "Don't saw on your horses mouth it's not a piece of wood" ~ GM

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    That's exactly what I was thinking too. Oil based fly sprays too close to the skin and sun make for flaky skin.

Try washing with a skin conditioning type soap and water based fly spray.
    And then also checking vit A, vit E and omega FA levels in your ration. If your horse is getting sun damage adding something like flax, or coco soy oil etc should help.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Has my vote!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Hmmm...I've been using the same fly spray for two years and it's never done this before. I can switch to something else and see if that helps though. Thanks!

Whatever the convergence of elements, you'd do well to help the skin be less vulnerable. I only know of one source that actually adds in oils and nutrients to strengthen skin WHILE killing any irritants. Usually things used for cleaning and skin problems actually ultimately parch the skin, leaving it more vulnerable. Hence, feeding the cycle. There is an easier and more cost effective paradigm. A truly all-in-one shampoo changes the game: http://www.luckybraids.com/troubleshooting.pdf

I agree with the others that say it's the fly spray - I posted the same type of question last summer. I was using the same spray (Tri-Tech) I had in the past with no issues, and all of a sudden my horse had this flaky black skin funk (neck and chest mostly) that wouldn't stay away. I quit using fly spray completely for about a week, started back with a different brand, and haven't had an issue since.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11