The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I found an email address from the government and I reported the web page.

It makes me sick about those horses!

I can't belive someone would 1) waste the time and 2) get their jollies-by spending the time required to do such insensitive things. How many goodwilled people will be misled, and then not want to be involved in helping again because they were scammed and then used as the butt of a joke. This kind of humor ranks right up there with bullies at school stuffing the weak kids in trash cans. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Why doesn't this person-who obviously thinks they are OH so clever prove how really smart they are by actually saving a real horse from a true bad situation?

I have very little tolerance for people like this..........

It appears that "the twins" never had braces in the first place.

If you look in this picture (posted on one of the forum links by the webmaster/horse-scammer), the foal is wrapped with a POLO WRAP around parts of the leg. EICK! That is almost worse than no brace!

http://ponyexpresshorses.infopop.cc/...c;f=2;t=000176

My karma ran over your dogma.
    Emily@catchride.com

on that site and especially the forums, is incredibly sad.

goodyfourshoes, I emailed her too!

We start believin' now that we can be who we are. -Grease
    You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

JEEZEM CROW! I just went back and looked at the picture links you guys posted. As a breeder and horse owner I am appalled. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif[/img]

Forget notifying the government-somebody call PETA! At least they can get after this person. As I am hyperventalating, I am attempting to log on their boards to post my own annoyed response to this.......

mare last year (She is prone to twinning). Before I ever bred her I made the decision to pinch a twin off if such a thing happened (Luckily it didn't).

If the foal would have been born with any sort of crooked legs (Which she didn't), I would have made sure I followed the vet's instructions (Afterall, he DID go to vet school and probably knows just a LITTLE more than me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

mare last year (She is prone to twinning). Before I ever bred her I made the decision to pinch a twin off if such a thing happened (Luckily it didn't).

If the foal would have been born with any sort of crooked legs (Which she didn't), I would have made sure I followed the vet's instructions (Afterall, he DID go to vet school and probably knows just a LITTLE more than me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

The people on the forum- (Are the crooked legs normal in foals?---- Oh, they'll straighten out)

Ok! I also emailed the Atlanta Animal Control organization. I gave them the site address and the pictures.

Somebody who emails that woman (because I'm not that confrontational, I'm passive aggressive) tell her that the authorities have been notified about her neglect and her spamming! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

that one leg will not get better. it's hyper-extended at the knee. that doesn't get better. the foal needs to be put down. as it gains weight that leg will be stressed and it will break.

i thought the pictures were horrible. the poor animals.

Emily A,

According to the posts on the other message board, the twins originally had braces fashioned by this person's veterinarian. (This is NOT the message board run by pony express. It is a unaffiliated pleasure horse message board for stock breeds.) This person stated that they removed the braces because they hampered the foals movement. The polo wraps were put on because they were "just as good".

Also,
    The sway back in saddlebred horses is usually congenital lordosis, which IS genetic. Here is a link to a site which explains lordosis and how selecting for a flat croup and high neck set could have led to a tendency toward this trait.
    http://www.horseshoes.com/farrierssi...s/lordosis.htm

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
    ~R. Graham
    God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
    ~R. Graham

Glad this person was so impressed by the e-mails you all sent. Just when you think you have seen it all...
    http://ponyexpresshorses.infopop.cc/...c;f=3;t=000039
    and
    http://ponyexpresshorses.infopop.cc/...c;f=2;t=000176
    and
    http://ponyexpresshorses.infopop.cc/...c;f=2;t=000175

Just horrifying.

*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    Check out my barn's site:
    Centre Equestre de la Houssaye
    *_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*_*
    "Je retournerai dans un mois. Galope Cannabis, galope!" -Jamel Debbouze
    ---WHX---

I think some people would like you to get started on that woman, especially via PM or email. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Hay All,

I haven't visited this forum in a long time but was getting allot of hits from it this evening. I tracked IPs back to here and am kinda shocked to see that my Riva is a topic of discussion over here.

If ya dont mind there seems to be some sort of misunderstanding going on here. First, I am a guy and I have not been gelded and I have my balls intact! At least I did the last time that I checked, which was about two minutes ago. But I washed my hands good before typing this to you so relax.

I posted a link to one of my webpages onto forums that I am an active contributing in. I am not a regular visitor here and would not mess around like that with anyone that I do not know. Since I did not post any of this to any of you here in this forum why are you complaining? Easvesdropping onto someone else's discussions and then gossiping about it are we? Well that's kinda cheesy but if it will keep you off the streets and outta trouble then I guess its Ok. Coming over to my forum and acting stupid is ... well its just plain stupid and it crosses the line of common decency. And believe me, you gotta go a long way to cross my line of common decency! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Enough of that foolishness. What I came here to see about is my Riva. How is he? You promised to let us know how he was doing and we have not heard one word from you, until now, like this.

Riva is my horse. I am the guy who stood there in the trenches and bought him off of that rodeo caravan. I am the guy who got him back to where he could take a line again. He had a long way to go still and you promised to continue his rehab and let us know how his progress. It looks like you have completed the second half of what you promised by letting me know how he is doing in this manner.

Riva is my horse. I stood there in the trenches and put my money where my mouth is to get him a better life. You did not do that. I did, not you. He is mine and there is still enough of me in him to kick your ass if you get to acting all snobby. He is in your possession now because we trusted you to give him a good home. We both know what he is worth money wise. You did not get a bargain you got entrusted with the care of one of my horses. For not immediately sticking an extra zero on his price tag and reselling him for a big profit ... you deserve allot of credit, so my decision to let you take him was good in that way.

If that sounds all preachy, sorry. How is Riva doing? Are you showing him? Yes? How is he placing? Maybe just once a year drop an email to let me know how he is? Sheesh, is that too much to ask?

For everyone who is looking for links, phone numbers, and email addresses of which authourities to report me to. Here is a complete list of all of my personal information that you will need to report me with ... http://www.ponyexpresshorses.com/Support.htm

and a complete list of all the government agencies with jurisdiction over me ... http://www.ponyexpresshorses.com/links.htm (on the bottom left of my published links page is the "Goernment Links" section.) Start with the USDA. I am licensed and bonded with the USDA. Then go ahead and drop down to the state level. Make an ass of yourself there beginning with the Georgia Department of Agriculture. I am licensed and bonded with the GDA. Then get yourself all worked up and gossip up a storm with the Georgia State Vet and the GDA Equine Health Division. I may be licensed with them too. Since they are here all of the time I would suppose that I would have to be. The links are right there for you just a few clicks away. Or you can stop and consider if that would be a stupid thing do? Either way, I dont care. Getting horses out of bad situations is never pretty but lots of us kinda get used to it after awhile.

For anyone who does not know us personaly ... My family has been rescuing TBs off the tracks for more than 30 years, since way before it was hip, cool, politically correct, and probably longer than many of you have been alive. I bought a horse sale a little over two years ago to try and help as many horses as we could. Not talk about doing something but actually get into the trenches and doing real rescue work buying horses out of bad situations and helping them into good. Opening up that checkbook and putting the money where the mouth is.

You know those folks who are hanging out at 3:00am in the morning in the back of some crappy horse sale in the middle of nowhere trying to get Rivas out of that mess? I know them. There are lots of them out there in the trenches fighting the good fight and I'm one of them. Walk a mile in the trenches of the horse industry and see if your sense of humor gets all messed up. Please consider cutting me a little bit of slack?

ps. You promised to let us know how Riva was doing.

~Happy Trails~
    http://www.ponyexpresshorses.com

First let me say that I really enjoy lurking here, but as I have always shown cutting horses ( top 10 in the nation for several years) and have just now decided to try english I don't feel knowledgable enough to contribute by posting! But I have learned alot by "lurking" and I do appreciate it!
    I too, bought a horse from Pony Express horses last April and found them to be honest and very up-front about all issues with this horse. They had kept this horse for over 6 months trying to get him sound and at the price I paid for him, I know they didn't make any money! I talked to the vets they used and they really did spend alot of money on this horse! Even the high priced vets at Atlanta Equine Center had worked on him!
    When I visited thier barn to try this horse it was VERY clean and well kept. No, it was not fancy and they don't have matching tack trunks, but every stall was spotless and deep bedded, every hay rack full of great quality hay and every horse clean and groomed!
    On the day I was at PEH, there were several H/J trainers from the Atlanta area trying out the OTTB's. These are TB's that if she didn't buy them they would end up at the Shedardsville sale for killers. She does have several nice OTTB's at any given time and does try to place them in good homes and yea she may make a little money on some of them , but she also loses money on some! She also has at any given time horses that she has bought off a killers trailer for whatever reason, ie starved, foundered ect. And yes she also has several "pasture ornaments" that she will never be able to sell, but the little money she makes can buy food for the rescues!
    I usually try to stay out of any inter-net fights, but I really think she does a good job at what she does and has the horses welfare in mind at all times!
    As for the twins, she is doing all she can with them and yes, lots of folks would have put them down at birth, but she really cares about horses and was willing to put the time ( lots) and money (more) into giving them a chance. If they ever get to the point that they are in pain and hurting , I have no doubt she will do the right thing!
    So, even if you think the "gelding" thing was a stupid joke, please don't blast her out of the water. Who knows, your high priced H/J may have come out of her stable or one like it before you bought it!

I think you all are being a little bit too harsh and judgmental here. I agree that the "gelding" thread was not real well thought out, but it *was* intended to be a joke, and if you were more familiar w/ the forums in question or had surfed there a little longer, you would have known that.

As auction barns go, PEH is definitely the most reputable in my area. They do what they can to limit the action of the killer buyers - some of whom actually *call* PEH when they think they have a horse that should not be headed that way, and the PEH people usually step in to see what they can do. I visit there frequently, and my oft-referred to rescue TB was a PEH auction purchase.

From my viewpoint - ask not why PEH does what it does - ask why anybody would take a top showjumper, nerve him *twice*, keep him jumping on a slab fracture of the long pastern bone, and finally dump him at a killer lot when he couldn't even hobble anymore. Thank goodness PEH was there for him.

As far as I'm concerned, PEH gave my boy one last chance to find a home and someone who loffed him, and he found it.

BTW I watched a *boatload* of Atlanta H/J people (I could name names) look at this horse that night at the auction, shake their heads and walk away. So apparently *they* were all ready and willing to let the worst happen to a fine horse who deserved much better. To their credit, PEH was *not* willing, and they gave my horse the best chance they could.

Proud to own a PEH horse,
    Liz

Member: TB Clique, Georgia Clique, Rust TS Clique, Willem FC, DIY Clique, Ebayers Anonymous Clique, Reads Forums At Work Clique, Lawn Ornaments For Life Clique, Jigging Clique
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

but I knew someone who bought from her and the horse was sound, sane and a great deal. She does seem like a very controversial figure in the Atlanta horse community, and I have heard a lot of negative rumours. They all seem to be facilitated by people who are envious of her success though.

I just looked at this ponyexpress.com ad for the gelding. OK maybe I am the only one who sees this or maybe I am just looking to hard but did anyone click on the "to find more information about Expresso click on www.HorseLips.com" Well, if you click on the first website that says horselips.com this is what comes up. It is an article posted by Yahoo. I sure thought it explained the situation/people who would vote quite well. I assume this is actually a mock of the voting system. Maybe I am giving them too much credit.

Oddly Enough - UK Reuters

New Mexico to decide if "idiots" can vote
    Fri Nov 1, 1:04 PM ET
    By Zelie Pollon

SANTA FE, New Mexico (Reuters) - New Mexico voters will decide on Tuesday whether they want "idiots" and "insane persons" to vote in their state.

Under the state's Constitution, drafted in 1912, "idiots" and "insane persons", as well as those "convicted of a felonious or infamous crime" are currently prohibited from voting.

Proposed Amendment 2 on the November 5 ballot would strike the terms "idiots" and "insane persons" from the Constitution. The measure will better reflect current understanding of mental health and remove archaic language, supporters said.

"There are so many varieties of mental illness with people who are perfectly capable of making a decision," said Bureau of Elections official Denise Lamb.

"I'm more worried about unstable people with guns than I am about unstable people voting," Lamb said.

The same type of amendment, with different wording, was on the ballot once before in the mid 1990s but did not pass because voters interpreted the wording as denying people a right to vote," Lamb said.

"I think it's good to bring your Constitution more in line with reality," she said.

The state's nonpartisan research group, Legislative Council Services, said the arguments in favour of the amendment are that it will remove wording that is "archaic, offensive and meaningless from the list of people ineligible to vote."

"The terms 'idiots' and 'insane persons' may not have been considered offensive in 1912, but today they are an embarrassment," the group said in a guide to voters.

It said the opposing argument suggests that removing the terms "without replacing it with terms that more accurately reflect contemporary understanding of mental health may be too sweeping a change."

The proposed amendment also lowers the voting age from 21 to 18 years, bringing the voting age in compliance with federal requirements.

Early voter Kathleen MacRae said changing the language made sense to her.

"I'm for liberalising all voting laws. Voting should be open and easy for everyone," she said. "And God knows there are already a lot of idiots voting."

Sorry, I don't recall ever meeting you when I was buying my horse, nor do I recall PEH requesting to hear how he's doing. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

He is very happy, is less skittish now, both on the ground, and under saddle, and is getting a lot more laid back and trusting.

He will never be sold b/c he could too easily fall back into the life that he had prevoiusly. I've talked to the breeders, as well as some others who dealt with him at one time or another and discovered enough to know that he is a very lucky boy.

He has done a few novice level horse trials and is taking to life as an event horse quite well.

Curiously enough, his original barn name that was given to him as a baby is Sam, not Riva. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Hay Duramax,

Even if you dont recall much you have posted links to Riva's info from my site so you know what all we went through with him. Even if you dont recall specifically being asked to let us know how he is doing its the right and decent thing to do. The girl who gave him his barn name of Sam is also from South Carolina. She found him on my site after you had bought him and has contacted me several times looking for any news about him. Since you know his original barn name is Sam then you have talked to her? Since we never heard any news back about how he was doing all that I knew to say was that "we got him in a good home back in South Carolina now".

Does he still try to scoot on you?

~Happy Trails~
    http://www.ponyexpresshorses.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by samfive:
    Hay Duramax,

Even if you dont recall much you have posted links to Riva's info from my site so you know what all we went through with him. Even if you dont recall specifically being asked to let us know how he is doing its the right and decent thing to do. The girl who gave him his barn name of Sam is also from South Carolina. She found him on my site after you had bought him and has contacted me several times looking for any news about him. Since you know his original barn name is Sam then you have talked to her? Since we never heard any news back about how he was doing all that I knew to say was that "we got him in a good home back in South Carolina now".

Does he still try to scoot on you?

~Happy Trails~
    http://www.ponyexpresshorses.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been contacted by someone who used to ride him while he was at John Ventura's barn in Southern Pines, NC. In fact, she came to see him this summer. She is from NC and NY. Is this the same person? I was told by the breeder his name was Sam.

We've got the scooting problem more or less worked out. Now he has a running away problem. He'll land from a fence, be soft for a few strides, then just dash away in a mad panic. He's coming along though.