The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Using a reader on your Android to pay for a horse?

Just curious, but does anyone have the little thingy you plug into your 'Droid or Iphone where you can swipe someone's card to pay for a horse?? Seems to me it'd be a good idea. Is it??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Do you mean the Square app?

The medical practice I work for uses it to process payments. We've had mixed results. For whatever reason it often erroneously declines MasterCards. We don't have the problem with Visa, just MasterCard. The other card reader in the office takes them just fine and I tried it with my own MC card which I knew was good and it told me that my payment of 1 cent was declined. Others I've spoken to haven't had this problem, so I really don't know what's going on.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I think the problem may be with Master Card new very tight security programs.
    They have denied my payment at a local restaurant now twice in the past month, out of the blue.

I just had a not cheap horse sold lately that was paid with a card, a first for me.
    I wonder, who has to pay the fees, as they were considerable?
    I did, but next time I will have to consider pricing a horse paid with a card higher, to cover some of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I just had a not cheap horse sold lately that was paid with a card, a first for me.
    I wonder, who has to pay the fees, as they were considerable?
    I did, but next time I will have to consider pricing a horse paid with a card higher, to cover some of that.
    I think the fees would be covered by you, so, yep, you'd have to raise your price just a bit or basically eat the cost. A local consignment store does this. If you pay by check or cash on a set price, then no fees. But when someone pays with a debit/credit card, the store eats the fees because the item is marked a certain way and you can't add in fees all of a sudden at the register.

Or you might have a set price, then give a discount for cash/check.

It could get confusing, tick off a customer and cost you a sale unless you don't mind losing the 2.5% the reader charges.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Mastercards have been declining a LOT of 1c transactions lately.

Biggest thing: Look at the cost. Credit card processing isn't cheap, and many of the companies have monthly fees. If you're a really busy sales barn, I could see it, but not for much else.

I can see why MC would decline 1 cent charges. My debit/credit card was pfished or something. My credit union's fraud department called me when they saw a had a few charges that were really cheap. The first was 3 cents, the second 49 cents and the third was $2.99. The third one actually shipped me the product before we could cancel the order.

My credit union said scammers try really small amount charges on a credit card to figure out if it is an active card.

Therefore I could see MC just declining the credit card charges for less than a certain dollar amount as a scammer deterrant.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by SonnysMom View Post
    I can see why MC would decline 1 cent charges. My debit/credit card was pfished or something. My credit union's fraud department called me when they saw a had a few charges that were really cheap. The first was 3 cents, the second 49 cents and the third was $2.99. The third one actually shipped me the product before we could cancel the order.

My credit union said scammers try really small amount charges on a credit card to figure out if it is an active card.

Therefore I could see MC just declining the credit card charges for less than a certain dollar amount as a scammer deterrant.
    That actually makes a lot of sense as relates to my own card and some low price transactions, but it doesn't explain the $15, $25, and $40 copays that repeatedly get declined off of a MC with Square- nor does it explain why a 1c payment is declined from Square but accepted through a Verifone card reader if the problem is coming from MC and not the app.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

to use the square the charge needs to be at least .51 cents I thought, but I could be wrong.

If I was selling a horse and I had the square (and I do) I would tell the buyer there was a 2.75% surcharge. If they paid cash or check no charge. I don't want to 'eat' the surcharge for convince for the buyer.

OR I would inflate the price and offer a cash only discount.

I use the square every weekend at farmers markets and I have never had a card declined, but I get Visa and AmEx the most, I got 2 MCs this past weekend with no issue.

As a Farmer's Market vendor, I use the Square every weekend. It has revolutionized our marketing.

I think it would be great for someone travelling to give lessons or clipping. Just raise the rates 2.75% and offer a cash discount. Some days it would make life so much easier to not have to scrounge correct change for pony club lessons and other cash only events.
    Alison Howard
    Homestead Farms, Maryland www.freshorganicvegetables.com

considering the highway robbery interest rates CC companies are allowed to charge, the vendor fee for taking them could probably be waved at minimal loss to the card offering company.

But yes, the vendor pays it and has to cover it somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?