The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Is it bad that I watched that whole video and all I can think is "wow, she has REALLY nice hair..."?
    No! I thought that too

I don't think I've seen Reed ride since like, 2008. She looks wonderful in those videos posted...what a nice rider! She must be over the moon!

Wait, only one show jumper is picked to ride for an individual medal? Is that a new rule?

You guys are confusing the individual medal with sending an individual rider. We do NOT send an individual rider from this country. The top finishing riders in the Nations Cup qualify for the individual competition. I think a maximum of three from a team, but could be wrong. But it is also possible that NONE will qualify if things went very badly...
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Cool to see young riders at the top!

LOL, next time we start to complain about the system we have at least two young riders who can certainly do more than perch and pose. Look forward to seeing them develop for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    According to Reed in the interview, only the top 6 are going over for the show before the Olympics. Reed said that Mica is in the 7th spot and so she is not being sent over by the USET, but Reed is taking her anyway because she is going to stay over there for several months and do other shows.
    FYI- Mika is a gelding.

I am super excited Reed made the team. Not only for her, her horses, her team and support system but I also think her making the team will be good for the sport of riding. Like she's 17 almost 18 years old and is the youngest rider ever to be going to the Olympics. Hopefully, people will realize what a great talent she is and will watch her and the rest of the equestrian events because she is so young and so talented. I think it's a great thing for the sport

So, so excited that Reed made the team!! She totally earned her spot and she is riding at the top of her game! What an amazing team we are sending to the Olympics with Rich, Reed, McLain, and Beezie!!! I cannot wait to watch London 2012! Rich/Flexible are probably the top horse/rider in the world right now. Beezie and Via Volo are ready to win and McLain has worked his way into the Olympics after having recovered from a shattered knee. What a dream team!! A big congrats to all of the riders!

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    You guys are confusing the individual medal with sending an individual rider. We do NOT send an individual rider from this country. The top finishing riders in the Nations Cup qualify for the individual competition. I think a maximum of three from a team, but could be wrong. But it is also possible that NONE will qualify if things went very badly...
    Whats the difference between someone competing for an individual medal and sending an individual rider? I don't know the Olympic system very well, although I have learned a lot these past few months!

Does anyone else remember the article Teri wrote for Towerheads looooooooong ago when Reed was doing lead line? It was so cute and funny (and inspired a long thread back in the day). It was about trying to raise Reed to be humble and level headed, but there were some who took offense to Teri's description of Reed's earth-shattering fit at the in-gate

It's cool to see her all grown up, and it seems that Teri did find that good balance of raising a nice young lady. Congrats Reed and congrats Teri!

Quote Originally Posted by AmmyByNature View Post
    Is it bad that I watched that whole video and all I can think is "wow, she has REALLY nice hair..."?
    I have been impressed by the fact that Reed is able to keep her hair up, and tidy, in the ring. No flopping ponytail there.. Quite an accomplishment really..

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    interesting, I didn't know there was a maximum of 3 from a team...

HalteranAlter & Secret Dove, thanks for the videos posted.
    I can see a classic US forward riding.
    Wish her all the success at the OG.
    Last edited by andy.smaga; Jun. 19, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: spl
    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
    Rudyard Kipling
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Quartz...26013000796803

Quote Originally Posted by andy.smaga View Post
    You're welcome!

You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Whats the difference between someone competing for an individual medal and sending an individual rider? I don't know the Olympic system very well, although I have learned a lot these past few months!
    Some countries can't field an entire team, but might send one or two riders, who will only compete for an individual medal. To be eligible for a team event, a country must send a minimum of three riders, and depending on their performance, those team members may or may not make it into the individual final.
    Last edited by BAC; Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

Great photos from Spruce Meadows, COTH!!!!
    Thank you!

You are welcome!

She is not the youngest rider ever to go to the Olympics. Maybe for an American show jumper, but Christilot Hanson Boylen went to Tokyo when she was 17 (Dressage for Canada). However, Reed probably has a much greater chance of success! What a fantastic accomplishment!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss T View Post
    She is not the youngest rider ever to go to the Olympics. Maybe for an American show jumper, but Christilot Hanson Boylen went to Tokyo when she was 17 (Dressage for Canada). However, Reed probably has a much greater chance of success! What a fantastic accomplishment!
    IIRC Christilot had to get special permission to compete because of her young age. And she was Hanson then, Boylen was her married name. There is a great book, Canadian Entry, about her training and events leading up to her Olympic debut.