The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rub marks from the breakaway halter -poor fit?

I love that life is so good that I'm posting about the breakaway halter leaving rub marks on Fella's face. He has some black marks up by his brow, and some hair missing under his cheek. See http://www.flickr.com/photos/5296733...in/photostream you can see the black mark up by his brow. So what's the issue? Halter too big? Get rid of the breakaway and go back to all nylon?

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

I use leather turnout halters when I turn out in a halter (which I usually don't) and don't have problems with rubs.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Are the flies bad? Out of our bunch, the ones who mark like that are the ones who do the most head tossing in the bugs. Sometimes a lighter weight halter helps a bit, but heavy application of bug spray makes the most difference, along with avoiding turnout when the bugs are worst.

You know, the flies are really bad. He's in full training so I don't ride him, but I go out and visit and play with him and fly spray him, but it's not near every day and I don't know if the working students can be asked to spray him more. I have a nylon and neoprene halter -not a breakaway. Perhaps that would work better? I also have a nylon halter, but I never liked the fit.

So neoprene lined nylon or nylon?

He also has one of these http://www.the7msnranch.com/2010/09/...ndsetters.html although this one is velcro so it's lost in the field somewhere (I may have to duct tape it on).

Paula

your head collar is massive for his size head go find a cob size one and hes got marks as it easy to rub better you change it or leave it off before he gets caught up in it and breaks his neck

Flymask and a leather turnout halter that fits. They're not expensive.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I didn't expect the cob to fit him. He has a couple other halters that are shorter beneath, but too snug. I'll put them on and take some pictures. He won't break his neck -that's a break away halter. I don't use fly masks -I use disco fringe http://www.the7msnranch.com/2010/09/...ndsetters.html

They are safer than fly masks. My new one is velcro and it's not staying on. I'll find another or duct tape the velcro down. I'll give the cob size halter a try and see if they fit. He has a funny fitting head I'm afraid. I have two other horse sized halters. Who knew his drafty butt would be a cob!

Paula

The halter is too big. You might be able to still use that one if you punch a couple more holes into the leather. I think it needs to go up 2-3 holes. If the horse has to be turned out with a halter on you should definitely stick to a breakaway style one.

It's so weird. I am looking at the picture. Shortening the head part would bring the nose part up, but the sag is in the chin part thingy. The next time I'm out I'll punch some holes in the leather and see if it makes a difference.

Y'know, looking at it -if I do shorten it, the cheek bit would fall in the right place -behind his big cheeks instead of in front of them, and then the sag would go away. I'm on it!

Paula

The halter looks too big.

I used to use a padded breakaway halter but it rubbed really badly. I switched to a smaller size of the same thing and it rubbed a bit less. My main issue though was the breakaway tab would keep breaking about every other week. I don't think my mare was playing much in turnout, probably just scratching her face against something or using her back hoof to do the same thing.

Anyway, I ended up changing to an inexpensive leather halter and now everything is fine. The halter stays on and does not rub. Most of the folks in my barn use leather halters for turnout.

Don't use something that won't break. Too dangerous.

Does he really need a halter in the field? If he didn't need the grazing muzzle mine would go without one.

@mswillie: I don't know about the OP, but at some barns the boarders have no choice about halters in turnout. At mine its mandatory.

Indeed, I think it's mandatory. He was hard to catch when I first got him, but not now (at least with me). I'll ask if he can go without, but I don't want to make more work for the barn hands. I'm going to add some holes to the crown piece and see if we can get it to fit better.

Paula