The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default Showing a hunter in the jumpers

So... PNWJumper and SuperShorty have got me thinking. I decided that after hanging with my jumper crew in Thermal, that I need to switch rings. The jumpers just look like more fun to me at this stage in my life.

However, I have a fancy hunter, that due to size, no one has even looked at. And... now I'm thinking. I really don't want to go spend another month at a horse show in the hunters. And, my horse is an open horse as well, so it's a big financial investment.

Do I dare try her in the jumpers? She just turned five, but is brave and scopey. She is 15.2, but has lots of step. I am seriously considering it, but am worried my trainer will think I have lost my marbles. I myself am a little worried I have lost my marbles. I figure if the YJC five year olds jump around at 1.2 meter, I can try her in a 3 foot class and see how it goes, and maybe do the low AA jumpers on the weekend. Is this nuts?

I showed my last horse in both hunters and jumpers even on the same day! He wasn't anything super fancy or anything but he did both and placed up to 3'6 and was about to move into the 3'9 jumpers before he had an injury.

Come to the dark side!!!

Or REALLY come to the dark side and do some EVENTING!!!
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Weatherford, I rode with Mark Watring in California, and did an event on my pony as a kid. So... you never know!

Well, you know what my answer's going to be I mean, you already have the hunt coat for it!

And take into consideration that after cantering around the 3' hunter ring, the 3' jumper classes are going to look TINY (to you) comparatively speaking. The substance and fill on the fences in the hunter ring make them much more impressive to point a horse at.

That's all a long way of saying that I think you'd have an easy time heading into the 3' jumper ring (well, .90m is 2'11" and .95m is 3'1" and I think you'd have an equally easy time with either).

My only real advice is that you'd better post pictures once you cross those timers the first time!

That's it. Talking to the trainer tomorrow. Maybe I can just do the same course over and over again so I don't have to relearn it. I think it will make for a fun horse show at least... and if she gets too tired I'll just go over and ride her in the AA's on the weekend!

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Do it. It's fun. It's educational. I find I ride better in jumpers knowing that a tiny mistake isn't going to knock me out of the ribbons and, consequently, make fewer mistakes of all magnitudes. You can always ride it like an eq course.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Go for it!! Definitely event, if you can - the people are great and it's much more fun, IMHO.

I knew Mark when he was working for Bruce, must have been before you were born...
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I am older than you think... my kids are just a few years younger than Mark's! I think Mark is going to hit me on the head when I tell him I want to ride the horse he rode in the pregreens in the jumpers. He already gave me the headshake no when I asked him the first time.

My feeling is, I already own this horse, I trust her, and she's young and sound. Her size is not an issue for me, so why should I give her away because other people think she's too small or too young? Okay, ideally, one of us would have some experience in the jumper ring, but hey, sticks are sticks.

Give it a shot!! You don't have to win the first few times to get your feet wet and not "ruin" your hunter. It's wayyyy more fun, a real adrenaline rush and habit forming!!! I used to sweat bullets at the in gate of a hunter class and was not stressed at the jumper gate. Ride smart and you can win...even if your form isn't perfect and you get a late change!!! I switched in my 40's and never regretted. Good Luck!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Try it!!!

...says the one who was planning on showing an ex-hunter in the GP at Fairfield and also showing an eventer in the hunter derby. Teehee.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    I am older than you think... my kids are just a few years younger than Mark's! I think Mark is going to hit me on the head when I tell him I want to ride the horse he rode in the pregreens in the jumpers. He already gave me the headshake no when I asked him the first time.

My feeling is, I already own this horse, I trust her, and she's young and sound. Her size is not an issue for me, so why should I give her away because other people think she's too small or too young? Okay, ideally, one of us would have some experience in the jumper ring, but hey, sticks are sticks.
    Do It...as long as it is fun who cares. If you trust your horse why change horses to change rings? I know a trainer whose one horse can do both the small GP's and a hunter derby. Just cause you are doing the jumpers doesn't mean your horse has to run like a maniac. There are plenty of "fancy" horses doing jumpers. Don't let your trianer talk you out of trying it. It's your horse!!
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Okay, ideally, one of us would have some experience in the jumper ring, but hey, sticks are sticks.
    I still think you could totally pull a me and go into the 1.20m having never done the jumpers at all. Although, Nikki was older than your mare... but she was definitely pretty wide-eyed during the whole thing!

Okay, ideally, one of us would have some experience in the jumper ring, but hey, sticks are sticks.
    I took my OTTB to a local event a few weeks back. He's 5 and it was his first time ever going to a show never mind eventing. It was also my first time eventing (seriously, I had never ridden a dressage test or gone over a cross country course before.) It turned out fine!

You know your horse and you know yourself. Try it, have fun, and then see if its something you'd want to continue doing!

Your horse, your money - if someone thinks you're doing the horse a terrible injustice by making it jump around a Jumper course when it "should" be doing the Hunters, well... there's the sale!

Seriously though - the Jumper ring is very refreshing. Go and have a good time!

Quote Originally Posted by Weatherford View Post
    Come to the dark side!!!

Or REALLY come to the dark side and do some EVENTING!!!
    Come to the dark side! We have cookies, but more importantly... BOXED WINE!
    Steppin Not Dragon "Bella"
    Top Shelf "Charlie"
    Check out the Military + Horses fb page!

I say do it!! I have done this often over the years. I always ride better after doing the jumpers for a while. The way my trainer helped me with the courses was instead of saying " Jump this one and that one..." he said," go straight to the blue fence, roll back to the red, straight to the other red, roll back right to the yadda yadda" He mapped it out in shapes...it worked for me. The hardest part is dealing with the opinion of others...including your trainer...so make sure you remember you are doing this for you, not to impress anyone else...just for you to have fun.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

You should definitely give the jumpers a try! I bought a horse to be my children's hunter about 5.5 years ago when he was green and after about 2 years in the hunters we switched to the jumpers. We do the 1.35m now. I have never looked back to the hunters and probably never will, i love doing the jumpers! And as for size, my "hunter" is 15.2, 15.3 max and my new jumper is 15.2 also. The smaller the better as far as i'm concerned! Good luck!

You will love it! My old horse started as a hunter and eq horse but we switched to jumpers and never looked back. Just remember the first few times to ride the course like a hunter course - nothing crazy and don't worry about speed or really tight turns. As you get the feel of jumpers you can add things like tighter turns and a bit of speed.

Have a ball and let us know how it goes.

Jumpers are a lot of fun. In fact, they're a BLAST. You aren't judged subjectively, the courses are much more cerebral, and you can wear more comfy shirts and jackets. Not to mention, the photos with the colored jumps are very pretty.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.