The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Minor rescue vent... and breed suggestions?

Just recently lost our Pyrenees. To what, we have no idea. She was her usual barking self the previous night, helped feed horses as usual in the morning, and when DH came home that afternoon she was dead on the porch. She was getting older for a large dog (about 8) and usually slept in the barn all day long, nocturnal as she was!

Anyway, we've been looking for another big farm dog- we've been checking Craigslist and the local shelters looking for an older pup or dog that needs a home. Haven't found anything yet. We have a couple of awesome shelters in the area, but so far they haven't had anything suitable.

A friend of mine said he knew a couple up in Indiana that did Pyr rescue, and he contacted them for us. He told them we had a working farm and were not looking for a house pet. It didn't take long for him to tell them "nevermind" when they started asking about fenced yards and such. Sure, I have a small fenced yard- but it certainly wouldn't contain a LGD of any kind! I wonder about the motivation of a Pyrenees rescue that prefers to place a dog as a house pet rather than into the type of situation the dog was bred to do- guard the farm and it's critters! Add me to the list of people that will NOT jump through hoops to get a dog from a rescue when I can easily buy one with no strings attached.

I'm wondering if there might be any breeds or crosses that I might be overlooking. What I'm looking for is a larger dog that will be an outside guard dog. I don't want a biter, just an intimidator of strangers- the type of dog that's just big and scary enough that a stranger will not get out of their vehicle if we're not home. It must be good to cats, ducks, and my other dogs (annoying Corgis!). My horses don't take crap from dogs so I'm not worried about them. Killing coyotes and woodchucks is a plus, but not necessary. I was thinking LGD of some sort, German Shepherd/shepherd cross, Collie crosses. I'm not a fan of hounds or labs, and while a love a pit- I don't feel most can be trusted around cats and fowl.

I will say I have two pits that are great around my chickens, pig, ducks, horses and six house cats. I will add, however, I have had them since they were puppies so they were raised to know their limits. It might be harder to set those same boundries for an older dog.

I imagine most rescues are not going to adopt out to outside only living. My collie is a "farm dog" but she loves her inside time. I know the rescue I work with pulled a collie back because she was left in the barn 24/7. I'm OK with having an inside stipulation, my dogs are pets, not working dogs.

Keep looking at craigslist.

I do find that odd that a breed specific rescue for a working type dog wouldn't consider a farm situation. All-breed rescues may not have as much experience with pyr types and be hesitant through lack of knowledge, but in my experience, our pyr mixes have LOVED being outdoors.... You'd have to drag them in from the rain!

I'd second the recommendation for checking CL. Also check out animal controls in the region. Here in ga it seems there are a good amount of great pyrs in animal control and on Craigslist, your area may be the same. You might have to be pretty vigilant in checking ACs as turnover can be high, depending on the county (whereas some counties hold dogs for months).

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Add me to the list of people that will NOT jump through hoops to get a dog from a rescue when I can easily buy one with no strings attached.
    Most rescues get dogs that have had failed prior lives (in ways you cannot even begin to imagine - or maybe you can imagine but it is completely different to actually meet & live with these broken dogs): their priority is doing everything possible to ensure that this dogs next home will be forever & as wonderful as possible - which means trying to match the dogs needs with what a potential home offers: this why the references & extensive applications etc.
    If working with a rescue is not your thing, then don't - but why is it necessary to slag rescues

Petfinder, CL, Kijiji etc all facilitate finding anything from Giveaways to very expensive designer mutts

Fences are an easy boundary marker, not many people boundary train any dog let alone an LGD without them.

Quote Originally Posted by quarterhorse4me View Post
    I will say I have two pits that are great around my chickens, pig, ducks, horses and six house cats. I will add, however, I have had them since they were puppies so they were raised to know their limits. It might be harder to set those same boundries for an older dog.
    I had a pit for a little while- I picked her up off the side of a back country road. She was skin and bones. I drove by, then stopped and backed up. I got out, opened the passenger door and called her. She ran and jumped into the passenger seat and was a perfect quiet angel for the ride home. She was great with kids, cats and farm animals, totally trustworthy. We found a home for her with a couple of small children, who she adored and protected. But, I'm not going to kid myself and think I'll find another like her- most have too high a prey drive to be trusted around cats, and especially birds.

We have an Akbash x Red Heeler cross on the farm. He is a great barn dog. There is a litter of Akbash x Pyr puppies for sale in town right now. I bet they would also make really good farm dogs. I like our Akbash mix because he is perfectly happy sitting in the barn just watching the horses. He's also very good about not chasing other animals. I've compared him to a cat more than a dog!

do a search for anatolian shepherd rescue......there are several, but ONE of them makes a clear distinction between available dogs that would be good livestock dogs, and those that are more family-minded dogs.........

the breed is initially for LGD, but ,as you know, not ALL have the mindset for that.............

i have a rescue anatolian......i do not need a LGD, just wanted something big and intimidating and territorial, as some incidents with weirdos showing up here warrented something more than my tiny terriers.......

he is NOT good with livestock or cats....great with other dogs....IS territorial and watchfull/protective.............LOVES being outside, but is quite clingy and needy for human affection/interaction..........perfect for me, but wouldn't suit your needs, so that is why this rescue is so good for making the distinction between livestock dogs and family dogs......
    some of their dogs were already used as livestock dogs in previous home.....

i LOVE his breed......a LARGE dog, but not a huge,heavily bodied dog like a pyr....and not quite so hairy.....longer lifespan than a pyr.......very intelligent......

hope you have some luck with getting a dog for your specific needs.....

Default Hey here's one! Hailing Enablers

Quote Originally Posted by Nootka View Post
    Here is a LGD on CL that looks like he already knows his job

http://ocala.craigslist.org/grd/3079608382.html

He is located in Ocala
    A COTHer posted this. Let's organize a COTH transport train to upgrade him to a COTHer who needs him!

Would you be willing to get a rescue Pyr from Texas?
    They have lots of farm-type pyrs:
    http://www.txpyrs.org/TGPRescue/Publ...ST&regionNo=-1
    "I'm holding out for the $100,000 Crossrail Classic in 2012." --mem
    "With all due respect.. may I suggest you take up Croquet?" --belambi
    Proud Member of the Opinionated Redhead Club!

That dog in Ocala looks awesome! And so do a couple of those TX Pyrs, but I'm pretty sure I'll find a local dog if I keep my eyes open, preferably one that might be in danger otherwise.

Can anybody tell me about the Anatolian temperment and how it compares to a Pyr? I've seen them on CL occasionally- but of course that was before I was looking for another dog!

i don't know any pyrs, so cannot give you a comparison..but can tell you some of the things about my fella that rang true in a breed description, and some things that did not.....

also, my guy was abused as a puppy, so not sure if that has a bearing on his wavering from the documented "norm" in characteristics.......
    i also talked to the folks at the breed assoc/rescue several times to get a better feel for the breed....

they are said to be independent thinkers, and yes, will agree on that point.......not so independent as ,say, a cat, but has a mind and uses it.........SMART, yes....he plays with my other dogs, sort of herding them....and he sits and watches the direction any one of them may take, and then promptly determines where that trajectory will take them, and heads them off at the pass..........does this consistently..
    is very good with all 4 of my other dogs (collie and 3 toy fox terriers) and despite seriously outweighing the others by 50-100 lbs, he is not top dog..he is very gentle with the others.....and very gentle with my grandchildren infants,now toddlers....
    he is VERY sensitive, and becomes insulted or gets his feelings hurt easily.....it is sooooo obvious, it is almost painful to see........
    he is a one person dog, but is friendly to all i allow in the house................he is noticably aloof and on alert with strangers/workmen,etc............just sorta stands and STARES at them, will often get between me and a stranger...
    extremely agile.......jusmped the 5 foot fence ONCE....i was in a panic, thinking somone may become frightened because of his size, and harm him......i have 5 acres,pasture fenced, and 3 adjacent neighbors with 2 acres each......after fruitlessly calling and following him around the neighbors several times, i went home to watch him from home,on a hill.........he never left the area of the other 3 neighbors, came back about 5 times to check in, but would not come inot the yard or within reach......went back out,circling.........finally came home after about 2 hours, satisfied, i suppose..............they have been described as thinking THIER territory is larger than the actual perimeter of your property, and will guard accordingly......i just figured that was what he was doing.......i also raised the fencing.......
    my guy LOVES being outside, no matter the weather...he does seem to mind the heat, so i always have a horse trough full of water for him, and he wallows around in that...loves water of any sort.........
    now, MY guy is extremely affectionate, to the point of being needy,when he is with me.......he did have seperation issues when first arrived here, but that resolved.....again, he was just a year old, and had already been through a life of abuse, so i thought his neediness may have stemmed from the abuse.....dunno.......now that he is out of puppiness (is 2.5 yrs now), he will be nudgy and clingy when we have been apart for a while, ie, HE has been enjoying himself outside too much to come in...but then settles....although,he will be at my feet,or leaning on me, and as soon as i stir, he is up on his feet,ready to accompany me......
    he can be "barky", but my collie is very vocal, so i thnk she eggs him on at times.......
    he is the most intense breed of dog i have ever owned....his eyes are a light amber color, so almost human looking, and he has a habit of just LOOKING, deep into my eyes, as if evaluating.......when i come downstairs in the morning, he always puts a paw on me, as if to say 'wait a sec"...scrutinizes me, looking right in the eyes, then is satisfied, and will continue to the door with the rest of the horde.......he will often do that if we are just sitting, almost like he is checking in on me, then will lay back down at my feet............
    i am TOTALLY smitten with him, and quite taken with the breed in general.........
    hope this helps....

This girl needs a home, and she's located in Paris, Kentucky. She is 2 year old Mastiff/Heeler cross (per owner), dark brindle, about 50-60 lbs. Great farm/outside dog. Doesn't chase horses, gets along well with cats, kids, etc.

She belongs to my former neighbor, who has moved and abandoned her. I'm taking of her until a home can be found.

Sorry I don't have better pictures.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...a/chloe022.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...a/chloe012.jpg

well, there ya go..................an already made farm dog!
    she sounds like a good match!

Quote Originally Posted by Mao View Post
    This girl needs a home, and she's located in Paris, Kentucky. She is 2 year old Mastiff/Heeler cross (per owner), dark brindle, about 50-60 lbs. Great farm/outside dog. Doesn't chase horses, gets along well with cats, kids, etc.

She belongs to my former neighbor, who has moved and abandoned her. I'm taking of her until a home can be found.

Sorry I don't have better pictures.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...a/chloe022.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...a/chloe012.jpg
    She looks like a cool dog! It's hard to believe a Mastiff cross would only weigh 50-60#. Tell me more about her temperment! I'm going to send you a PM if I can- I've been having problems with this site all day, no others, just this one.

Got your PM and sent you one back.

She's not huge, but she has a solid, powerful build, massive head and scary/cool brindle color. If I didn't know her, I'd be scared of her - lol!

And believe me, I have enough animals of my own that I don't need to involve myself with those that don't belong to me. I've made an exception in this case because she's such a great dog.

Fingers-crossed for Chloe!

When I was looking to rehome 2 GPs I contacted the state rescue. Most, well all, their dogs were pet homes. The person who did end up with my dogs was given my name (or vice versa) by the rescue. They had one person who took the "working dogs". When I looked at her info all the rescue dogs she had were "in training" as they had failed in pet homes and pet foster homes. So they really were just difficult dogs that no other fosters wanted to take. She tried to get them out with her own dog with her goats. That was her training.

You might give your name to rescue in case they are contacted by someone trying to rehome working dogs.