The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Most people are not lucky enough to look around until they find the perfect horse. Usually, due to financial considerations, they opt for something close and go to work on it. I have an OTT TB that i show as a hunter. He has an old injury and would probably not stay sound doing the jumpers or going cross country. However, he is sound and happy over 3'- 3'6. He tends to be a bit fresh or nervous sometimes, so i stuff his ears.

According to some of you purists, this horse is probably not best suited for the hunter ring. What else would he do? He is not suitable for a beginner. Due to his injury, even if I did sell him, I would not get much for him. I think this horse is very fortunate to have a good home where he is well fed and cared for. Not everyone is looking to make the Olympic team. I am constantly striving to learn more and better my horsemanship. But I have a family and job, and riding is usually squeezed in between. So crucify me because I am not whispering in my horse's ear (he can't hear me anyway, they're stuffed) and riding him bridleless and bareback.

So there may be lots of horses in the hunter ring who may be better suited to do something else. Isn't it more important to notice that the horse is fat and happy, and the rider is grinning ear to ear because she just put in a nice round?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
    I go away fro the weekend, and come back to 3+ pages on earplugs!

First, the AHSA general rule about artificial appliances is "unconstitutionally vague". If we were to take the "anything not permitted is prohibited" literally, then whips, spurs, martingales, and even, to take it to an extreme, saddles, would be illegal for the hunter division, as none of them are expressly permitted. (Reductio ad Absurdum)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not so--the saddles are expressly permitted under the appointments section, and martingales are expressly metioned as permitted over fences, but not in the u/s.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

No, martingales are NOT expressly mentioned as permitted...They are only mentioned under Article 2417 where they're prohibited.

"Article 2417. Tack....

3. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes."

The point is, we assume martingales are permitted over fences, since they're not listed as prohibited for those classes.

[This message has been edited by Bertie (edited 04-17-2000).]

Ok my ignorance shows again - since all of this discussion started I have spent more time with my nose stuck in the rule book than I care to think about LOL . But now I have ANOTHER question. :confused

Why do you suppose the rules for hunters are so vague while the rules for dressage are EXTREMELY specific? - they even DRAW pictures of the legal bits for us so we get it right (DUH). They list almost every conceivable contraption as either legal or not and make it pretty hard to "bend" the rules. Of course it's not fool proof but it's really specific.

I'm just curious (really that's all, I'm not trying to be snide or sarcastic, NO REALLY I'm not, promise [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] )why the "rules" are left to such broad interpretations.

Here's a guess...Dressage seems to be judged on more of an exact, disciplined performance than working hunters. I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they're judged differently. So it would make sense that the strictness would carry over to the rules for equipment. Am I all wet?

Two possible reasons why the dressage rules are so precise and the hunter rules are so vague.

One- the dressage rules are based on the FEI rules which are very specific. (So are the CT rules, which have an equally precise but quite different specification on legal bits.)

Two - the dressage (rule making) community, for whatever reason, wants to make things precise, while the hunter (rule making) community either wants to keep things vague, or simply can't agree on anything precise. You will also note that the description of what the judge is looking for is much more precise in dressage than hunters.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Hey guys thanks for the thoughts about the specifics of the rules. Also BIG THANKS for not thinking I was a jerk for asking!!! I think it's really hard to "type" a conversation, it's much too easy to be misconstrued (and the spelling is hard too) LOL!!!