The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: will my filly gray out or stay bay at maturity?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • will gray out!

23 44.23%
  • will stay bay!

29 55.77%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default what's the final color of my bay filly?

Hello all, my gray arab mare gave birth to a beautiful bay filly! I would like to hear you input wether the filly is going to stay bay or is she going to gray out? this link has the pictures of the 2day old filly https://picasaweb.google.com/hatemza...wBornArabFilly

The mother is gray and did give birth to a gray and a bay and the father is dark bay!

thank u in advance!
    ===============================================

an update on the pictures of the filly at 10 days old as of today
    https://picasaweb.google.com/hatemza...ecentlyUpdated

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''

A second update some pictures for the filly at 3.5 weeks as of today! please disregard the first 12 pictures "u have seen them b4"

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''' '''''''''''''''''''''

A third update; below is the test result which showed that the color will stay bay

" Coat Color results for Bint zahra(DT31565):

Gray Result:
    N/N - No copies of the gray gene. Horse will not turn gray. "
    Last edited by hatemzalloum; Aug. 7, 2012 at 07:45 PM.

Grey. Her legs are dark.

We just had this very thread here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=356064

Lots of conversation about what a bay foal looks like versus what a bay going grey foal looks like.

Her legs don't look that dark to me. I was thinking the faded effect meant she would stay bay, so I guess we need a tie-breaking vote.
    Here is my 2011 filly that is going grey (verrry slowly):
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...type=3&theater

Look at the front legs, especially near the foot. Compare to this bay foal:

http://i649.photobucket.com/albums/u...winbakcolt.jpg

i was thinking that the front legs are only partially black while the hind legs are not at all! thought it was a bit confusing! either color is more than welcome its just the excitement lol...

any other input would be highly appreciated

Stay bay.

It's common for non-gray bay foals to have the pastern area black, either just at the coronet or even all the way up to the fetlocks, as is the case here. If she were going to gray I would fully expect her whole leg to be black (if she is to be a full black point bay), or if she's of the wild bay variety (which can push the black all the way down) then to have her cannons be very much the color of her body. Being that they are that tannish color, I'm going with bay

I've had grey foals born with legs like colored like that, but they had a more "adult" color bay body. Hard to say. I could be convinced either way!
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Take more pictures in a week or two...it is an interesting look - right now, my vote is to stay bay based on the lighter upper legs, but then again, maybe not!
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

I had one last year almost the same color and he is gray. These pictures were taken when he was four days old:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...9767257&type=3
    Sheila Armstrong

Thank you all for the helpful tips will take more pictures in a week and post them for more input!

one more thing to notice though, the hoofs of the filly are "horn" or whitish colored on the dark legs. If that means anything to you? as i came across this tip while browsing " on a leg that does NOT have a white marking, if the hoof is "horn" or whitish colored, you have a non grey foal. If on a non white marked leg, the hoof is BLACK, you have a grey foal (I'm talking about at birth -- not later on)."

Its a fun game

Same colour as my last foal who was bay.

My vote is bay, simply as there is no greying around the eyes. I have had many a grey foal (heck my farm name is Greywynd.. if you can't beat em, join em..) And every one so far has had at least a few white hairs around the eyes at birth. No matter if they are born bay, black, or chestnut.. they all have the flecks of white on their faces.
    Last edited by Aven; Jun. 19, 2012 at 06:08 PM.

Gray. Maybe even a rose gray
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

will add more pictures saturday

hi all again! I have updated the pictures of the filly at 10 days old as of today
    would love to hear your feed back look at the link below!
    Thank you

I think I still vote grey, especially when comparing to Sheila A's pics, above.

Any white hairs popping around the eyes?

She is adorable!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aven View Post
    Same colour as my last foal who was bay.

My vote is bay, simply as there is no greying around the eyes. I have had many a grey foal (heck my farm name is Greywynd.. if you can't beat em, join em..) And every one so far has had at least a few white hairs around the eyes at birth. No matter if they are born bay, black, or chestnut.. they all have the flecks of white on their faces.
    I agree.. I bred my grey mare to grey stallion looked crazily for some signs.. no grey around the eye I was told means no grey...

Quote Originally Posted by hatemzalloum View Post
    hi all again! I have updated the pictures of the filly at 10 days old as of today
    would love to hear your feed back look at the link below!
    Thank you

And I still vote for sure bay No grey around the eyes taht I can see. And the 'smoky' black legs I often see on bay foals. (vs the dark with with white flecks)

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I think I still vote grey, especially when comparing to Sheila A's pics, above.

Any white hairs popping around the eyes?

She is adorable!!
    checked her thoroughly and could not find any white hair around the eyes or any other place other than the ones shedded from the mother

Will you get her tested, just to solve the mystery?

FWIW, I have a 2 yo grey filly who is still VERY dark and wound up listed at Keeneland as bay as a weanling. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she didn't start popping white hairs until she was older. But I don't have any baby pictures, so don't know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Will you get her tested, just to solve the mystery?

FWIW, I have a 2 yo grey filly who is still VERY dark and wound up listed at Keeneland as bay as a weanling. I wouldn't be at all surprised if she didn't start popping white hairs until she was older. But I don't have any baby pictures, so don't know for sure!
    I may do that a bit later as for now I am enjoying the mystery