The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Someone educate me - tying a horse to a tree/pole with its head up high

I don't understand the purpose of tying a horse with its head held up high to a tree or pole. Can someone fill me in?

Well, in the western pleasure world, the idea is to make them so tired from holding the head up, they'll go in to the ring with that low peanut roller headset that is so desired...or so I have been told.

Tying "high and short" is considered safer too. If the horse struggles, he is less likely to caught up in rope.

I think the tie high idea is that if a horse sets back, he's not going to be pulling "tug of war style" straight with all his strength against the rope/snap/neck joints... if the tie is high .. short of sitting down or flipping over- the horse's neck angle is going to be a break in the straight line force of his strength to pull on that rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainandtall View Post
    I think the tie high idea is that if a horse sets back, he's not going to be pulling "tug of war style" straight with all his strength against the rope/snap/neck joints... if the tie is high .. short of sitting down or flipping over- the horse's neck angle is going to be a break in the straight line force of his strength to pull on that rope.
    Yup, it's safer
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

speaking of tying horses to trees, what ever happened to that Alijia (or whatever her name was) person who tied a horse to a tree and the horse died?

Quote Originally Posted by alittlegray View Post
    I don't understand the purpose of tying a horse with its head held up high to a tree or pole. Can someone fill me in?
    I do not think people can answer your question with out more information about what you are actually asking.

Are you trying to start a wreck about the practice of tying to tire a horse to get a low head set or are you truly asking about say picket line style tying?

I am truly asking, as I have seen several horses here in Idaho over the last week tied either to a tree or pole so short they either couldn't move or could only spin in a tight circle. Obviously they also couldn't reach either food or water, although in most cases no food/water has been in the immediate vicinity.
    Last night it was a small chestnut tied to a tree with his head pulled straight up, he had about a foot and a half of rope securing him to a branch over head. He was turning in tiny circles trying to get some relief. The owner saw me pull off the road and look at the horse, and I am presuming he saw me pull out my cell and rightfully guessed I was calling the sheriff's dept. as it was after hours for any animal control office. He came out and untied the horse and turned it out into a big field instead.
    So I wondered since it was by no means an isolated thing I saw, if there is a legitimate reason for it. I would like to educate myself if I can before I make up my mind on an issue. If it is tying up to get a low headset, then that is what I needed to know. If that is the case, they certainly aren't hiding it here although one owner was obviously uncomfortable with the idea that I was curious about his horse tied to a tree.

There are different kinds of tying high.

I tie my horse to a high tree branch of a tree every day. Its near the tack room, provides nice shade, and as others have mentioned, tying high makes it less likely that a horse can pull back. I like my tie rings to be about eye level. But I do not tie TIGHT. My horse can drop its head to chest level while tied. Very different then tying a horse so high that it has to strain to keep its head up. This is what abusive trainers have been known to use as a way to make a horse tired, or their neck too sore to lift their head.

Some local “charros” like to ride their horses hard, then tie them very high and tight (think extended neck, horse seemingly on tippy toes). The horse is left straining and can’t relax. Seems like some sort of “punishment” or a way to sore / really tire out a horse. I have called animal control regarding lack of water / visibly distressed horses tied up like this in 90+ degree heat. Animal control says there isn’t much they can do. They can go out and ask that the horses be watered, but in the end, it’s a “cultural way of training”. I personally think it is a abusive and VERY poor training.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

If you call the sheriff BEFORE you make up your mind about an issue, god help us all when you actually come to a decision.

I split the world up into things I would and wouldn't do, and the "I wouldn't do" category has a further, MUCH SMALLER subdivision which is "things I feel strongly that no one should do". I doubt tying high -- when I have no idea how long it has gone on or will go on -- would fall into that subdivision. I also believe that the big guns like law enforcement should be reserved for the things in that group.

But that's just me.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Yes, I tie my horse high, i.e. the actual ring that the lead rope is tied to is at eye level or above. However, the lead rope is long enough that he can hold his head in a normal position, drop his head to couch, etc. It isn't long enough that he can reach the ground, because I don't believe that is safe.

What I don't do is 'hang his head,' i.e. tie him high up with a very short lead such that his neck and head have to be held in an artificially high position.

We have several 'charro' types here as well that do that. Makes me cringe
    It'd be one thing if it was picket style, but as Appsolute mentioned, their necks are almost stretched up-- it's awful.

Well, JoZ, if you had seen this chestnut dancing in a circle on his tippy toes just trying to support himself I guess you'd have done something too (or at least God Help Us) I hope you would have. Out of multiple times seeing it throughout the week, this case is the one I called about. At least the others seemed to be able to support their weight on their own feet and not in their necks. So yes, I did something in that moment and I have NO regret that it motivated the owner to come untie the horse and turn it out. None.

I did want more input on the issue as a whole before I threw the baby out with the bath water so to speak. I am absolutely happy to ask some questions and explore a theory behind something so I feel comfortable with my reactions to certain situations going forward. That doesn't mean my reaction to the prior situation was wrong, and it is poor of you to be so rude in your response for no reason. God Help Us when I do make up my mind? I guess I am okay that my world isn't so narrowly defined or black and white as yours. Should I ASSume you ignore animals that seem distressed just so you don't have to call out the "big guns?" I think maybe I will give you a little more credit than that, and maybe in the future you could be so decent as well.

And Fwiw, none of the horses I am referring to were tied in a way that they could lower their necks to a natural position like other posters here are describing doing with their horses or access even water. And it has been hot here this week.

Not saying its the best practice but it could have simply been someone teaching a horse to tie/ stand quietly.

Even our own young horse starter has set up under a big tree where he ties them out from above head a little high/ level but no straining and leaves them to mentally sort it out for anywhere from 10 mins -however long it takes for them to settle. Some get it and hit the snooze button right away some walk in little circles and fight it for a bit until the light goes on that standing quietly in the shade is nicer then fighting and wearing yourself out.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

I split the world up into things I would and wouldn't do, and the "I wouldn't do" category has a further, MUCH SMALLER subdivision which is "things I feel strongly that no one should do". I doubt tying high -- when I have no idea how long it has gone on or will go on -- would fall into that subdivision. I also believe that the big guns like law enforcement should be reserved for the things in that group.
    well, I do this too, but the scenario described- extreme heat, horse tied so high it could barely stand on its front feet, struggling and appeared distressed, no water, no shade- seems to me to fall into the "something no one should ever do", and also something that needs to be stopped here, and now, possibly this instant, for the health of the affected animal.
    Kind of like dogs in hot cars- there comes a point where the only thing a decent person can do is break the window.

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    well, I do this too, but the scenario described- extreme heat, horse tied so high it could barely stand on its front feet, struggling and appeared distressed, no water, no shade- seems to me to fall into the "something no one should ever do", and also something that needs to be stopped here, and now, possibly this instant, for the health of the affected animal.
    Kind of like dogs in hot cars- there comes a point where the only thing a decent person can do is break the window.

This was the situation that I called AC on. Horse had been out for hours in the hot sun, lathered in sweat, neck strained up in the air. And it wasn't the first time I had witnessed this. Hence the call.

It was disheartening to hear the basic jist of AC's position on it, the long and short was.

Some cultures like to abuse their animals and call it "training" and we can't stop them, because its their cultural right to tie high and - in the case of these fellows - tie horses up and smack them with whips to teach them how to "dance".

This was the stuff visible from the road. I don't want know what went on behind the tall walls of their circular rodeo arena.
    APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Well, in the western pleasure world, the idea is to make them so tired from holding the head up, they'll go in to the ring with that low peanut roller headset that is so desired...or so I have been told.
    I have heard this, too. Sickening.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    This was the situation that I called AC on. Horse had been out for hours in the hot sun, lathered in sweat, neck strained up in the air. And it wasn't the first time I had witnessed this. Hence the call.

It was disheartening to hear the basic jist of AC's position on it, the long and short was.

Some cultures like to abuse their animals and call it "training" and we can't stop them, because its their cultural right to tie high and - in the case of these fellows - tie horses up and smack them with whips to teach them how to "dance".

This was the stuff visible from the road. I don't want know what went on behind the tall walls of their circular rodeo arena.
    I'm glad you called AC.

Now you have to decide what to do next time, because there will be a next time with these people. And the thing is, if Animal Control goes out and talks to them and explains what is legal, what is cruel, etc., sometimes people do listen, whether it's because a lightbulb goes on and they learn something, or whether they are afraid of authority and don't want to get in trouble. But having a record of complaints will also help with enforcement.

Yeah, there is the tying high to tire the horse out, even bleeding them. That is flat out abuse in my book.

However, I always tie high and pretty short. Horse can still hold his head naturally, but can't get his head down and possibly get a leg over. I've only had one horse ever get a leg over and had to cut the lead rope. ALWAYS carry pocket knife is my motto!!

Anywho, I'm a fan of tying and my horses better stay put.

As for calling the sheriff before knowing what's going on...hello?? How about talking to the owner first and finding out?? Or chekcing on the 'net before you dial the cell phone?? Geez loo-eeze... Now, your neighbor is prolly tying his horse where you can't see him. If the horse is being abused (prolly not, just an example) you can't see him. Way to go...
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Originally Posted by horsepoor

When a trainer ties a horse high it is for THIS and no other reason!!! Subtle cruelty in action. The neck muscles are so strained and sore they have to "roll peanuts"!! Not educational, but CRUEL!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma