The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BlueGooPonyShampoo:
    I have no doubt that Kennett Square will be posting soon in an effort to provide the in-depth humorous comentary that all you COTH BB'ers are craving. It is quite possible that she's suffering from a slight case of tattoo-envy <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that she is reviewing Jeb and Jair's little excursion into luring innocents to do the Wild Monkey Dance under the shadow of the Washington Monument while she was off in the hinterlands protecting her flock of points plebes.

We shall soon learn of her feelings on the matter of Heidi and Slugger and the wicked way the cause of the Honorable Sea Urchin Relief Foundation Fund was waylaid by those theifs of hearts, Jeb and Jair!

KS, I am sorry to bring this up but while you were off in the all so important year end points tallying, your name was NOT on the tongue tips of some of your most vocal "devoted" chums. Character smearing ran rampant. Drowning in Cheez Whiz and the slandering of Scottish legends, Mardi Gras flings to which YOU were not an instrumental part of the entertainment!

I was personally shocked. Moesha will vouch for what I report. Colin was slandered for no reason, and you know Colin provides reasons aplenty. She is not speaking to me as it turns out I eyed up her cowboy by completely innocent mistake - I thought it would reflect well upon her taste!

Congrats on a good show to those of you who were lucky enough to attend! NC can be a scary place but, speaking strictly for myself, I am glad to know that some COTH BB'rs can function on a higher plane without supervision. (Could it be that you are the salvation of our reputations? Is there an underlying reason why those who didn't go were not invited?)
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Well, I was hoping to meet some of the COTH BB's down in NC, but I saw no tiara's or "red capes"???

A very nice place, I thought. The town was a bit peculiar- tried out the Golden Corral-
    first night- pretty scary...ugh..did KFC and Pizza Hut after that. No mini-marts had any ATM machines...

I thought there were some very nice horses there, and I thought when I was there- Fri- Sat, the judging was just fine.. but the pony pleasure was a little CRAZY and the SCHOOLING BREAK for the SHORT STIRRUP riders almost undid me!! YIKES!! Can you say DANGEROUS????

Fashion statements to follow..

Anyone know who won in Small Ponies or Pony Equitation?

Where WERE you people?! I am so embarassed that your impression of this fine state is from THAT! The horror! And what is up with the VIRGINIA show being held in NC? Don't you guys LIKE your state? I'm actually hoping to move there soon! Is there something I don't know, but maybe SHOULD????
    Sounds like you guys had lots of fun anyways...and the judging being bad? YUP! Welcome to NC...proud state of some of the MOST ignorant horse people known to the equestrian art! Reason 1 BILLION to move to VA! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]!
    Seriously, it is a nice state, minus a few 50 or so counties! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <snip> And what is up with the VIRGINIA show being held in NC? Don't you guys LIKE your state? <snip><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Um, er, ah; I'll be gracious, diplomatic and brief. Others can fill in the many gory details!

The VHSA Associate show was originally scheduled to be held in Lexington, as it has been in the past, but sacrificed the date when a Large Show Corporation requested to put a show on during the same dates at the same location. The VHSA thought the NC facility was the next best choice.

So don't hesitate to join us in Virginia! The NC site was hopefully a one-time deal . . .
    ----------------------------
    "Riding is a complicated joy. You learn something each time. It is never quite the same, and you never know it all."
    --Monica Dickens

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

And to continue on what KC said, as it turned out, the Large Show Corporation ended up not having their show there after all and the SWVHJA ended up having their show there.

BlueGoo-ImLaughingWithYou... Where did you guys stay? The Days Inn? See, you gotta go to those high class places like us..the Holiday Inn Express. See, right next to us was one of those old motels that is now apartments. We got to see a very young mother with a towel on her head, in her 'silk' pajamas, aid her toddler in bonking his head on the door jamb. We were with all the huntin' guys. Lots of huntin' trucks in our parking lot.

Did I mention while we were at the gas station, two people ran off without paying? If I had known that was OK to do, I would have done it too and saved my client $50.

As Shamrokz mentioned, I really did want to pet the cotton bales. I regret not having that experience now. We were afraid of getting buckshot though.

Did anyone else notice the party supply place and the pet store on the way to the park? They were like these random little shops out in the nowhere. Somehow, a party supply just didn't seem to fit there.

KS and VTRider, next time I see you, allow me to do my Billy Bob impression of the snakes he sells in his pet store and how he makes earmuffs for them out of the cotton balls. He also rents himself out as a snake charmer at the party supply for entertainment (vs. pony rides).

Yes, we did Golden Corral too. Given the rest of the town, that was like going to the Four Seasons for brunch. I have to admit, I was so happy to have real grits, see chipped beef and all the tea is sweetened, just right...

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anyplace Farm:
    Did anyone else notice the party supply place and the pet store on the way to the park? They were like these random little shops out in the nowhere. Somehow, a party supply just didn't seem to fit there.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tell me, is it like Tallahassee with the little local business such as "Trailer o'Hair and Nails"?
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

Actually, no. There were cotton bales, trailers, cotton fields, signs for a ghost town (I thought we were already in it) and then boom...something like "Ellen's Party Supply". Then, you went a few tenths of miles down the way and then there was this house with the pet store. They must have some awesome pets because you'd have to drive quite a ways to get there...it'd have to be worth it. Then, we exited to Prison Camp Road....

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anyplace Farm:
    the SWVHJA ended up having their show there.

As Shamrokz mentioned, I really did want to pet the cotton bales.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SWVHJA always has their show at Lexington on this set weekend. So they didn't really affect VHSA's show.

Re: the cotton - some of the ladies in my barn wanted to get some of that cotton to use to stuff their horse's ears!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Ladies,

I have finally returned to the land of the living. Between a nightmarish ride home (A six hour drive, a six year old and a six month old, enough said!!, horrific judging ( what was the criteria... ticks to count, late swaps, bad form, color? Still pondering that one! Plus did she ever look up in a corner to see a missed change or buck?) I then too, while there, contracted a lovely head cold which is trying to progress to my chest, not to mention my allergies which decided to kick in at the most in-opportune time. I had to stay home and medicate. I was worse than most junkies doing crack yesterday. But the price was worth it. Today I am feeling better.

The show facility was lovely. Nice barns, rings and the people at the facility were dying to help you and extremely friendly. I give a huge thumb up to this. The down side. It was a nightmare to stay at the hotels. None of my people want to go back. I've seen horror movies with less chance of danger and demise. Not to mention that a six hour drive is an incentive to hop in the rig and spin on down. It ain't cheap to go that far for a show that pays no money out. Except the stakes class.

I got to met VTRider who is a lovely girl and looked something like a runway model when she put on Duffy's coat. Not that she isn't great all other times! Duffy, Can I wear your coat and try to be tall and thin too? We had several giggles about people and horses and I was glad to finally meet her. Sorry not to have been able to meet anyone else.

As for the Tiara....I did wear it. Nardeen Hendeerson took pictures of me wearing it and Anyplace was in the pics too. Just remember...if it's on the internet it must be true......I didn't wear the cape. It wasn't cold enough and the Scepter was being fought over by all the children. Seems they wanted to use it as a crop....Can you believe they thought it was a crop? Poor upbringing, we need to work a little harder with the parents.

I thought Clyde did a wonderful job of keeping the show running. Jane Layback is a marvelous announcer and kept the ring always full and the exhibitors up to date. J.T.Talon designed great beautiful courses and they rode so well. The one down side was the schooling sessions. Extremely dangerous. No one from management monitored it, apparently leaving it up to the exhibitors and their trainers to keep the injuries down to a minimum. This is the only blight on an otherwise lovely well run show. Exhibitor's party had nice food both days and on Sunday the show got over way earlier than we had thought. I was on the road at 4:45. For all of my griping about the judge she did keep things rolling. Great in the hacks, she didn't make them hack for three days to pick a winner. Boom Boom Boom done. I will give her credit for that.

Thank God for all my Northern Va friends who kept me reasonably sane and laughing. Anyplace and her posse are so nice and VTRider is just a delight. we need to do more shows together ladies!!!

I'd like to give a big thank you to all my clients who made the trek and suffered through the poor hotels. I do appreciate all your efforts and thank you for making this another good year for the Cavallo Farm Kids!!! We love you!

So, which TS show conflicted? Or was SWVHJA a TS thing?

Billy Bob uses the cotton as ear muffs for his snakes. He also has dancers that come along on his snake-charming engagements that are half-necked. They use the cotton balls to cover particular areas that the eyes should not see.

KS - I knew I could count on you for a lovely recap of the show. I did love the courses!!

My hotel was a terror as well. Especially since there were kids outside my hotel room cantering up and down the pavement all night going..1.2.3.4.5.6.jump.1.2.3.4.5.6.jump.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Very nicely done, KS.

I am so mad that I didn't bring my tiara. Maybe next year. And maybe next year it can be at Lexington!

Lucky you...you got on the road an hour before we did. We stopped for a 1/2 hr to eat and then again to drop one of the kids in Montclair and probably got back to the barn at about 11:15. By the time we unloaded, etc. and I dropped Shamrockz off, I was in bed after midnight. Did I mention that your favorite dog (mine) raced to the door and went straight to the bed, did a 360, fluffed the sheets to make a nest and looked at me like, "Get in here and turn out the light!!" She was exhausted.

Thanks for the compliments on my crew. They are good kids and I would be miserable at the shows if they weren't.

Could you guys please bring more food next time? There just really wasn't anything left for me when I went snooping. A fruit/cheese/cracker platter would be nice next time too. By the way, where was the champagne?

By the way, where was the champagne?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Umm APF - Did you not notice the bulge in left pocket of KS's jacket http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/eek.gif

VTRider, didn't those kids know the lines were fives?

VTRider, didn't those kids know the lines were fives?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They were on ponies - had to do the adds [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Welcome to NC...proud state of some of the MOST ignorant horse people known to the equestrian art! Reason 1 BILLION to move to VA! ! Seriously, it is a nice state, minus a few 50 or so counties!

Sigh. It is true. NC is indeed the State of Ignorant Horse People. I guess that's why we've shipped in some ringers like Captain Mark Phillips, Bill Long aka the Godfather of Combined Driving in the US, and enough dressage trainers with Eurotrash accents that if you dressed them as clowns they could do the How Many Clowns are in that VW? routine. Otherwise, the natives down here would still be foxhunting on their big lick Walking Horses. Tallyho Midnight's Rackin' King!

Jane, born, bred, and educated in NC, thankyouveryverymuch

About the buldge in KS's jacket, I thought either because she was happy to see me or she was hiding her scepter from the kids so they wouldn't use it as a crop.

About NC, I have to say, I have been to NC several times in different parts and it's a beautiful state. But, if people are coming to the state for the first time, Williamston, and particularly, the Prison Camp Road stretch don't speak well for it. Guess that's why they don't put pictures of that area on the cover of the map.

I'll take all of NC's breakfast bars w/grits and sweet tea any day over the crappy 'tea' they make here and the "no grits after 11:00 a.m." rule at Bob Evans.

[This message has been edited by Anyplace Farm (edited 11-07-2000).]

Could you guys please bring more food next time? There just really wasn't anything left for me when I went snooping. A fruit/cheese/cracker platter would be nice next time too. By the way, where was the champagne?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh, I can see that I must provision these excursions. The mention of grits has me in tears. To think of the quiche lorraine and finger sandwiches that could have been... The Moet that was missed...

[This message has been edited by Everythingbutwings (edited 11-07-2000).]