The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What kind of bird builds this nest? They're back! Post #60 :)

I took a pic of this nest: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...birds/nest.jpg the other day because I have about three of them in my barn. The (parent) birds look a little like nuthatches but they don't make that kind of nest, right???

Tonight I go down to feed and see this: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1.../babybirds.jpg Cute little baby birds!

Still don't know what kind they are. They sure do crap a lot, though - I mean EVERYWHERE. Blah.
    Last edited by alabama; Apr. 16, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Looks like Phoebes to me.

Really? My mom sent me a pic of a baby one the came from a nest on her porch but it was eastern phoebes and looked mostly blackish/gray to me. No top hat (my birds seem to have a darker head on top and look tannish in the body).

I'm not a bird person, though. I dabbled at my old house but can't find my books since I moved.

Swallows make nests like that. Can't tel from the picture though what kind of birds.
    http://petcaregt.com/blog/wp-content...ow-nest-14.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

1 members found this post helpful.

I wish they were swallows. I love them!

These guys have a dark head that goes between there eyes to the back of the neck - at least on the parents. Body is tannish? Maybe grayish/tannish??? I keep trying to get a pic of the parents but they are FAST.

gosh, I had a wonderful page earmarked in my favorites, it had a lot of birds n there to identify them, plus their calls (it drove my budgies nuts! )
    But then I killed the computer....
    Maybe Audubon?
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by BaroquePony View Post
    That's closer - certainly closer than a nuthatch. I had that completely wrong but the "stance of the chickadee doesn't fit. Coloring is a bit off, too.

I'm getting a pic of the parents tomorrow or die trying!

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I wish they were swallows. I love them!
    Really? You like swallows?

A few years ago I had several swallows build a nest in my carport. Every time I left the house they attempted to attack me. I knocked down their nest (no babies) every day, and it was always back the next day. I even put up strips of nails to keep them away. That didnt work either. This went on for a month before my husband shot them. I know it sounds mean, but they were vicious and I tried repetitively to evict them humanely.

BTW, this does look like a swallow's nest.

I do like swallows. I apparently like annoying birds - guineas and swallows.

These nests have been here since I moved in in '09. They, to my knowledge, haven't been used in my first couple of years here. Do very many birds reuse some other kind of birds' nests?

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post

A few years ago I had several swallows build a nest in my carport. Every time I left the house they attempted to attack me. I knocked down their nest (no babies) every day, and it was always back the next day. I even put up strips of nails to keep them away. That didnt work either. This went on for a month before my husband shot them. I know it sounds mean, but they were vicious and I tried repetitively to evict them humanely.

Well, that's just...I have no words. . Did you know that swallows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, making it illegal to intentionally kill them?

To the OP, looks like the wrens that build nests at our barn.
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

I googled the kingbird. It's closer than anything else. Belly is a bit too white. However, when I went to this site: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Kingbird/id I saw this picture under similar species: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/P..._kellyazar.jpg That's just about a perfect match for the adults I see. My mom sent me a pic of a baby eastern phoebe they had that lived on their porch for a couple of days before it could fly off (nest in the corner of the porch and it fell out). To me, it didn't look anything like my babies. That adult in the link above, however, is almost a perfect match. hmmmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    To the OP, looks like the wrens that build nests at our barn.
    I agree. I used to have Carolina Wrens that nested above my auto garage doors in my rental house. Nests looked very similar. I loved those little birds, too. I must just love grouchy, noisy birds. LOL! Hummingbirds have to be the most combative little birds ever, but I love watching them as well.

That said, these aren't wrens, at least not carolina wrens. Wrens look like they are crouching all the time to me and their tail feathers kind of stick up. These birds are more up and down, if that makes any sense (head up, tail pointed down).

Barn swallows have a "v" at the bottom of their tail so that the outer tail feathers are longer. Their wings and tail are a shiny blueish black. They build their nest out of primarily mud and a little hair, not the extra stuff that seems to be in your image. They are fast and get very upset when you come near their babies - diving at you. They have a frightened screechy call.

The Phoebe has a fluffy head on top. Very persistent about their nests which use a lot of moss with its mud, and some hair. Softer call that sounds like their name. More of a mouse grey with dark points.

The barn swallows are annoying, but they do eat lots of bugs.

Yes, wren tail feathers stick up.

They do look like a type of swallow. We have a pair in our barn, too. They look like little penguins looking down at you. They will be fledging really soon.

Kingbird? How cool is that?

Love me some swallows. Eat the mosquitos, then the bloodsucking stable flies. They're use to me in the barn, but when the dogs come in, they get the alarm call and the mock attack swoopings. Swallows are teeny tiny and good parents. They put on a good display, but there's nothing they could do to you that would be harmful.

Eastern Phoebes have darker heads than body and a light belly. Babies will not be colored just like adults yet.

It's unlikely a Kingbird would build a nest in a place like that.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/e...be/lifehistory

Your babies look like this picture: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=110

Quote Originally Posted by PiaffePlease View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Well, that's just...I have no words. . Did you know that swallows are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, making it illegal to intentionally kill them?
    I have no words for that either.

They sure look like swallows to me- but not exactly like barn swallows (which have a darker ring outlining a bib under their chin) I wish you had a picture of the parents. They are probably fledged by now though aren't they?

PiaffePlease- There is another thread here, I think called "I miss my barn swallows" and it's got lots of tips about nurturing barnswallows so you can live harmoniously with them. When you learn more about their life, migration and family structure- I think you will have a change of heart about them.