The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse's whinny drastically changed overnight

20 year old Arab mare, lots of melanomas, not ridden, on pasture 24/7. I've had this mare for 15 years and know her whinny like the back of my hand. Today it was broken. Literally like dead spots of air in between areas of the whinny. Sounded like a chatter or several grunt in a row more than a whinny. The mare's behavior is the same, walks fine (no staggering, stumbling) and she doesn't seemed bothered by it. I'll play dumb and say I don't know if the whinny comes from the mouth, throat, or lungs. It's dry as heck here so a bit dusty but she's not coughing or anything that would lead me to think dust or debris in the lungs or throat. I'm actually a bit apprehensive about a possible stroke but no signs, just me being overly paranoid. So, can I have a list of things that would cause a horse's whinny to change severely from one day to the next?

Maybe she is getting sick?

Doubt it. I've had horses actually with what sounded like colds where their whinnies had a snotty sound to them. This mare is bright eyed, bushy tailed, no fever, no lethargy, no nothing except a very broken whinny. She never leaves the property and no horses come into the property. I've never heard any horse sound like this actually. It's a whinny for sure, just dead air between inflections.

Melanoma on the vocal cords?

Stroke? This made me think of the lady who woke up one morning with a British accent. Didn't she have a stroke of some sort, and was fully functional otherwise?

Here is the article about the lady with the British accent following dental surgery, in which she had a stroke:

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...sh_accent.html

Stroke is actually my first guess right now though as I stated in my first post, I'm overly paranoid. I had a dog last year that had several suspected small strokes. One affected his ability to bark. That was the first of them. The last few affected his ability to walk I mean, it could be nothing, but I'd rather mentally prepare myself for all scenarios...stroke being at the top of the list just based on past experiences with my dog and people I've known (including myself) that have had strokes.

Musician here, not a vet. I would go for nodes/melanomas on or pressuring the vocal chords. I would also call my vet. Good luck with your horse!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/