The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default adoption horror stories..

we have a horse at the barn that was adopted. the owner never rides it, doesn't pay the farrier or vet, is always out of grain. Following the golden rule of MMOB. But it bothers me to see this horse getting thinner, his feet going to hell, and rescue should know about it, but i do not want to get in trouble at the barn for sticking my nose into it.

Anyone ever have to watch this go on?

If you think the horse's welfare is at risk you're going to have to do right by the horse and tell somebody or do something. Otherwise I'm afraid you're as bad for passing by suffering without intervening.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

i know. it's a lose-lose situation. i can be kicked out for medling in someone else's business, but i can't live with animal abuse. The BO knows what is going on. I love this farm aside from this situation. all the horses are well cared for, except this one is getting thin b/c it is always out of grain and feet look like hell. I don't think there was anything in the contract about it, but i can't find my original contract.

Paula is right

Quote Originally Posted by Nezzy View Post
    i know. it's a lose-lose situation. i can be kicked out for medling in someone else's business, but i can't live with animal abuse. The BO knows what is going on. I love this farm aside from this situation. all the horses are well cared for, except this one is getting thin b/c it is always out of grain and feet look like hell. I don't think there was anything in the contract about it, but i can't find my original contract.

Man up or shut up, hon. It comes down to that. What's in your contract is irrelevant. If the horse is in that much trouble do something.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Please alert the rescue the horse was adopted from.

They can ask the adopter for an update and/or arrange for a site check without any mention of you.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

As a BO, I won't do self care for this very situation. I am going to feed a horse no matter what. I won't depend on the owner to provide it.

I also will insist on the farrier and vet if needed. Again, if the owner won't deal with it, I will and collect the money from the owner. And it the owner won't pay, then the horse has to go. I will have no part of aiding and abetting mistreatment of a horse.
    Last edited by IronwoodFarm; Jun. 16, 2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Make up a new address on gmail, hotmail, yahoo. Email the rescue. Attach a picture. Done. Anonymous works. Or find someone to report it for you. That's what I had to do with a neighbor who was starving his horses.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'd report too. You can do it anonymously and attaching a current picture or two is a great idea.

Really, how thin are you willing to let this horse get before you step up and say something? Even more important, why isn't your BO saying anything? And if your BO is willing to let a horse go hungry just because an absentee owner isn't holding up to their end of the bargain why would you even worry about getting kicked out of the place? I'd never want my horses in a boarding situation where the barn owner's first priority isn't the welfare of the horses kept on his/her property. That just goes hand-in-hand with running a barn.

Agree with all. You have to do it. Horses can't talk so someone has to. Sadly, the BO should do it but probably won't. You can do this. The BO and other boarders will probably be very relieved it gets taken care of. Anonymous is perfectly fine.

But you may feel best just stepping up to the plate, ringing the rescue, and telling folks. If you do that, it may help to warn the BO and tell BO it's you or him/her and don't get talked out of it. If the BO kicks you out, you know what kind of person the BO is.

And I agree with IronwoodFarm on this, 200%.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

OP, sent you a PM.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

this is the perfect farm for me and my horse, i won't find one like it, i am next to a state park. i love it here. so i do not want to ruffle feathers. but i agree i have to say something. i think i will talk to BO and see if i can convince the BO to talk to the owner. The horse is not super thin, just losing weight. it is a TB so it is not an easy keeper. Even thought we have access to 24/7 hay- good hay.

If you want to PM me the name of the horse and rescue, and address of where it is at, I will contact them and tell them it was brought to my attention, and that they may want to do a no notice welfare check.

Please advocate for this horse.
    For some horses, 24/7 hay is NOT enough. I have 3 OTTB geldings...three different types of metabolism. Two of them ABSOLUTELY would not thrive on a hay-only diet - they are the type of horses that need more than that. Grain for one horse isn't that expensive - even BP would help.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I don't see why the rescue would ever have to tell anyone that you were the person that called.

Call the rescue.

We do periodic inspections, but things can go downhill between inspections, and a couple of times we've been alerted by a fellow boarder and were able to intervene.

I know some would say we should do more frequent follow-ups then... but you have to find a happy middle ground between checking on the horse every month (which would make it so that no one would adopt!) and never checking up again. We picked what we could live with and what could cover MOST situations.

If something changes between visits, we do appreciate someone letting us know. And we don't give out names (even if the concern turns out unfounded, and that has happened, too).
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Call the rescue. If you don't do that, call the local equine abuse, animal control people. Do something. Remember, the animals ALWAYS come first.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
    I'd report too. You can do it anonymously and attaching a current picture or two is a great idea.

Really, how thin are you willing to let this horse get before you step up and say something? Even more important, why isn't your BO saying anything? And if your BO is willing to let a horse go hungry just because an absentee owner isn't holding up to their end of the bargain why would you even worry about getting kicked out of the place? I'd never want my horses in a boarding situation where the barn owner's first priority isn't the welfare of the horses kept on his/her property. That just goes hand-in-hand with running a barn.
    This.

It really bothers me to hear about BOs that don't care for the horses under their roofs. I think that's just as abusive as owner neglect, to be able to look at a horse day after day being uncared for and doing nothing because the owner didn't pay for it.

i never said he doesn't care about the horse. he just hates Meddling at the barn. I know i want to help the horse, but i also don't want to help myself out of a great barn. I will talk to him soon. Thanks.

From what you have said the barn owner does not like people to get involved. So you are going to talk to him about a situation he already knows about and expect what to happen exactly? Nothing is going to happen and you know better. Call or email the rescue or animal control and report it. You can do it without leaving your name and no one will know it was you. Your other option is to buy the horse and take care of it. If you are not going to do the right thing, posting here was pointless.