The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Barns in State college PA?

Hi all,

I am going to be transferring to PSU next year and was wondering if there are any dressage, eventing, or hunter barns. I will not be bringing a horse, but would really love to find a job at a barn. I hope to find a PAYING job.

I have evented through intermediate, and have had professional training all my life.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

I know that Penn State has an intercolligiate team which is Hunter/Jumper, I imagine they have a Dressage team. You may want to contact them for ideas. I rode IHSA and we showed there. Had nice horses.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

If you've evented to intermediate, you may struggle to find something that works for you, but check into if Earl Jodon is still around. I rode with him while I was at Penn State (and I wasn't into the H/J thing). Earl was highly entertaining and I happened to learn a lot from him. He and I were on the same page as in he'd say "go jump that 4'3 oxer" and I'd say "OK!". He had a great little 15-hand QH he let me ride that he used to take to jumper competitions and beat the fancy warmbloods on.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

You could also try contacting the local pony club (Lion Country). They may have some contacts or at least point you in the right direction. You can get contact info from the USPC website.

Resurrecting an old thread as the lack of responses have me worried...after being pretty sure we were moving to Seattle, I'm thinking PSU is in the cards for us, after all (DH works in academia). I have a draft cross, neither of us is terribly athletic, but we'd like to toodle around some lower-level events someday. Any barns suitable for the decidedly-amateur horse and rider?
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Unfortunately we're kind of an eventing dead zone here :-( PM me if you want the skinny on the local barns, as I do know most of them. That being said, if we can get enough interested parties to grow the KDCTA, maybe more will happen!