The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default CM Aluminum Trailers input needed

I am under the gun to get a trailer quickly. I have only had 4 Star and Elite and Sooner trailers and I am going to look at a CM used all Aluminum trailer tomorrow. We do not have this dealership in our area so I don't know anyone who has had one. HELP COTH peeps! Any comparison to the brands I know or anyone have a CM and can give me the low down?

My vet has a custom 8 wide aluminum CM that is just sick (meaning *really* nice). I had her give me a tour at the last clinic I saw her at. She and her husband are CM dealers though

The steel CMs (the have a galvanized line as well) have a good reputation as a nice, basic affordable trailer, I am not personally as familiar with the aluminum.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

I had a steel CM for a few years. It was a nice, solid trailer and well made. I haven't owned one of their aluminum ones, but I'd imagine the same quality would be present.

We looked at 4*, Eby and CM. All very nice trailers. CM trailers were impressively well built. We ended up with a 4* because we found a dealer fairly close who could handle a custom order. Eby didn't seem to want to be bothered, and for some reason not related to trailer quality at all we decided against CM.

Would anyone put them at the same quality level as 4*? I have had really good luck with Elite and 4*. I have been trying to find chat about CM but there is little to be found.

Aren't CM trailers significantly cheaper than a 4*? It seemed like the two horse aluminum trailers were. I imagine you perhaps get something extra for the extra money??

One of the other boarders in my barn has a steel CM. I really liked it, although it was a tad short for my giraffe necked saddlebred to trailer in comfortably.

It is well made with nice features, (saddle racks, solid door latches, loading lights) and very reasonably priced.

Just make sure it is new enought to have the aluminum roof and not the fiberglass roof that has to be re-sealed every so often. Mine is a 2004 model 3 H slant with and 8'-0 short wall and it pulls like a dream. That is really my only peave about it is the roof.

Love my CM Saratoga. It's about 10 years old
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have a CM goosneck straightload. It is 10 yrs old, steel w/ aluminum skin. Here is the issue I am having. First of all the trailer is well built and sound, but somehow water has leaked down from the window seal inside the door and has left large "pock mark holes" at the bottom. It is like the powder coating type finish is cracking and coming off the door. It is also unattractive. The door that is affected is the full size escape door. I called CM in Oklahoma, and could never get anyone to return my calls. Okay, I go to a local trailer repair shop and ask what to do. The solution would be to ship it Oklahoma to have the door replaced at the factory. I live in Georgia. I decided to sell the trailer and begin looking for something else. I don't know if this is an isolated incident or not. I just don't want to go through all the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by jbonifas View Post
    Just make sure it is new enought to have the aluminum roof and not the fiberglass roof that has to be re-sealed every so often. Mine is a 2004 model 3 H slant with and 8'-0 short wall and it pulls like a dream. That is really my only peave about it is the roof.
    How can I tell if it is fiberglass or aluminum?

This is a 2003 5 horse slant so I am wondering!

Quote Originally Posted by TrotTrotPumpkn View Post
    Aren't CM trailers significantly cheaper than a 4*? It seemed like the two horse aluminum trailers were. I imagine you perhaps get something extra for the extra money??
    Yes I wonder what? They all look so similar on the surface I wish I knew more about the details. I always have bought high end and never been disappointed but in this case I don't know anything about this brand.

Quote Originally Posted by howardh View Post
    Yes I wonder what? They all look so similar on the surface I wish I knew more about the details. I always have bought high end and never been disappointed but in this case I don't know anything about this brand.
    Better Name?

Kidding with you, I obviously had/have no idea. Have you looked at the trailer in person yet? What did you think? Is it a good deal? As in, worst case scenario you could resell it if there was some aspect of it you didn't like right away?