The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Upupa epops

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I bought my Troxel Exeter at our local "feed store." Their fitting room is the bathroom, and they only had Troxels, but they did have a good assortment for me to try on.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I tried on EVERY brand of helmet this fall. I always bought approved helmets with no problem to at least jump in so my head cannot be that weird and nothing fit right. I tried CO, here and in Ireland and England, so basically every style, GPA, troxel, international etc etc. I have always had helmets that fit in the past and the jockey skull version of several brands fit great but no show style ones fit me at all. My old jumping helmet was a velvet covered jockey skull but that does not seem to be an option anymore. Since then I have gone through a Troxel, an International and one other I am currently using that is OK, but slips over my eyes in times of stress (ie when I jump, which is when I need the damn thing). Also it is green. Nothing fits right. Everything sits too far up and forward, they slide over my eyes, they don't protect the back of my head (which I always land on) and they are SOOO stiff.

Please please someone make an old-style- cover the back of your head- adjustable harness that atttaches at the back and holds it down- soft inside- non-headache causing- real sizes hat!!!! I would love to protect my head but I don't feel too great about my choices at the moment.

Have you tried the Exeter? I hated them all too because they dug into my forehead and gave me wicked headaches. The Exeter is adjustable, well padded, and doesn't slip at all - at least for me. I think the adjustable strap they put in really helps a lot for fitting purposes. The harness is not my favorite, but then I tried on the GPA and felt claustrophobic - too much material around my face! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

just bumping this up again because my fiance' and i just had a huge argument (er, "discussion") about helmets tonight. he prefers to ride western (on the rare occasions when he rides at all), and about flipped when i informed him that i *was not*, under any circumstances, going to allow horses or riding on our property (we're looking) without approved helmets.

he literally told me he'd never had that thought occur to him, that if a fall of 4ft or more can kill you, horses certainly put you taller than that...never mind the impact if said horse is moving at any speed. hmmm... and this is the same guy who is a cop, wouldn't think twice about reaming someone out for not wearing a seatbelt or not using a motorcycle or bike helmet, etc... just needed to understand that western (horses, period) aren't any different.

sorry for rambling... just needed to vent a bit, and i thought it was about time this thread made another appearance, anyway. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I was going to ride my daugher's greenie yesterday and she refused to let me ride until I put on an approved helmet. (I think my powder blue helmet is a real fashion statement. After all, I have had it since it was in fashion and since she has been riding, I have been wearing a helmet. This was a big concession, too.) I am reminded though, of the day I fastened my seatbelt about 1/2 mile from a head on collision with a drunk driver back in 1987. To this day, I don't go out of the driveway without my seatbelt.

Today was the big day. I went to the local tack store and tried on Troxel's, GPA's, Charles Owens', Internationals of all models. The winner was for me: The International Pro Rider. It has a GPA like harness that seems to fit me much better than the GPA. The fit is good and I don't look too bad. The harness blends in with my hair or so was the consensus of everyone in the tackstore.

So I am now one of the converted. I would urge anyone to go to a tackstore and TRY THEM ON. Somewhere out there, there is one for you. If my daughter cares enough to insist, what kind of mom would I be if I didn't respect her that much.

The end.

Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group
    Remember, dear, if you're not bleeding and a fairly vital organ is not hanging out of your shirt, you keep riding
    Finally down to a manageable number!

I proudly wore my GPA at the VI Classic last weekend (my first horse show in an approved). I was amazed, though, at the number of adults that were NOT wearing approved helmets. There were even a number that were wearing helmets without harnesses [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] ! Excuse me, but what the heck is the point of that???

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

Dover has the CO Show Jumper 2000's on sale for Cheap! Like $100 or so (Normally costs $179 and up). If they fit you, this is a great price for a really nice helmet! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~*~Come on, try a little, nothing is forever. There's got to be somewhere better than In The Middle...~*~

Bumping it up after a BUMP on my approved-helmet-clad head just a couple days ago... See also the thread on Off Course...

I wear an approved but I agree with the fitting woes. I had one that fit great in the store and at a full gallop bobbled on my head. That just won't work!!!

Just curious, why don't they size the new approved helmets like they did the old ones? The whole small, medium, large thing is useless.

I think its interesting that my husband rides a race bike and his helmet, an XL, has a cradle as part of the harness that locks down to fit the hat to the head. Curoius why they can't do this with a riding helmet. His bike can go at least as fast as my horse and I know his helmet is staying on!!!

The ATH and GPA are sized. The reason most brands don't is that each size must go through the certifying to be approved, and thus it gets quite expensive. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that point.)

The Troxel Exter is a show helmet that does have the cradle in it now, and a number of the trail ones also have the adjustable head harness bit. My Troxel Dakota Sport has it. I agree, it makes the difference in keeping it on your head!

--Therese

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams 'The Restaurant at the End of the Universe'
    - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

The Charles Owens are also properly sized. Generally, the higher quality helmets have proper sizing, while the less expensive have generic sizing (s,m,l,xl) and you have to hope one fits. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

One thing that I can tell you about an approved helmet is, when you go to buy it in the store, make sure it is about as snug as you can stand it without inflicting permanent damage. The helmet linings do compress very slightly with use, plus your head shrinks and swells with hot and cold weather. If it is "comfy" in the store, it will loosen up and slip after a few rides. If it is tight in the store, it will be perfect on the horse. This tidbit comes both from personal experience in dealing with the retail public in the tack stores, and from the helmet manufacturers.

If your helmet has become loose, take a strip of thin foam and pad the lining to snug it back up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

Shameless Bumpkining! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

~<>~ Daedalus built the Labyrinthe, so winding and complicated a structure that no man or beast, once shut inside, could ever find the exit~<>~

As a new member of the approved helmet clique...I will bump this to the top [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    The government is best which governs least.
    -Henry David Thoreau

"Old Mr. Reliable" spooked at a deer today, bolted, and then became a runaway. I lost my stirrups on the initial spook, and the stirrups banging against him sent him faster and faster (he was a good 6 furlong horse in his racing days). I hadn't felt that speed since I was galloping at the track! Needless to say, I fell of at about 25mph. Thank god for my approved helmet (which I am now replacing) and my safety vest. I really think I might have had internal injuries if I didn't have my safety vest on, as well as a concussion. A scary run and fall like that really makes you think about some things, and be thankful. I think I will invest in the best helmet I can find.

Wow! Glad you are o.k. You actually brought up something I was wondering about...are all approved helmets created equal or do some offer better protection then others?
    -Henry David Thoreau

I have the same question: Are some approved hemets higher quality than others? Are there different levels associated with those ASTM numbers??? Are the skunks necessarily better? I aim to find out.

skinflint-maybe you should start a new thread with your question. This is an old thread that most people have read already.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Does anyone else get this picture of a person falling directly on thier head? As if Someone From Above dropped them straight down. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Of course, they're dressed in the latest hunter fashions, not a stitch out of place so there's not much ruffling.

I sent this around to horsiefriends who don't visit the bb (in the form of a forward, with credit to Mr Bumpkin, of course [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]). Y'all should do the same!

-Anne, the owner of a PrettyFilly and a WildArabianStallion-
    "Change is inevitable...except from a vending machine."

Bump-Bump-Bumpkin [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~