The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    \"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Oh Bumpkin, already printed it and trotted it out to the barn for everyone. Sorry if I jumped the gun. Said this is what "Mr. Bumpkin" posted on the internet concerning helmets. The trainers were very happy. Made all their Jrs. read it as well as Amateurs. No one wants people hurt, and this is so straight forward, easy to understand, it's PERFECT!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I hope it helps everyone.

I am taking a copy of it to the tack shop today for my friends there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

I'm taking a copy with me today!! Thanks very much. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] Maybe it will save some noggins.

***~~~Bucksnort~~~***
    You can have my boyfriend, but stay away from my horse.

In the front, just above where your nose comes out, there are little knife-like bits of bone that grow inwards.

They are VERY good at slicing your olfactory nerves when you land on the back of your head, especially without a helmet. It took two years for the sense of smell to return in my fat head, then a lot of it was connecting to the wrong points, and now I can only smell through my right nostril. Blech.

I am sending a big kiss to Mr. Bumpkin for posting this!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

For those who are interested, visit the Snell Memorial Foundation web site at www.smf.org for very good information on why helmets should be replaced every five years, as well as their new standard and lots of other stuff.

Great discription Coreene, my head still feels like it did "Hammer Time" about 3 am in the morning [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Kestrel we need to really think about doing this helmet try on seminar.
    Janice at Gift Horse and I discussed it again last week.

With credit to "Mr. Bumpkin" a scientist and inventor of some reknown.

Because if I hear ONE MORE PERSON say, "I know I should wear an approved helmet, but ...." I will have to slap them and my defense would be:

Your Honor, I'm very sorry for what I did, but it was the way I was raised! Honest! Whenever I did something terrifically stupid, my pappy slapped me upside the head! I'm just programmed to slap stupid people.

~Kryswyn~
    "Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo"
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

If anyone can, please use it, and if published please send us the article.
    Mr Bumpkin would love to see it [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

This will for sure get some mixed reactions but here goes....

I am insisting all the kids at the barn get the new approved helmets. I think that is a good thing to do for my insurance company.

BUT I THINK THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!!

They are so HARD on the inside they DO NOT fit anyones head. You can add all the padding you want to and they just simply do not fit right where they are safe.!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] The kids came today and about 10 - 12 of them had the new helmets (different brands) that were "fitted" at the tack stores for them. All I have to do is take ahold of the brim and push or pull a little and they swing up or down.

Can't someone invent helmets that fit right and stay put...

I know there are other threads about this but now we are in the actual process of trying to find ones that work for ALOT of kids, not just a few...

GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    [url]http://www.horseshowbiz.com
    [url]http://www.ijumpsports.com

I have a tip for fitting the approved helmets (I worked at a tack shop for a long time and DID NOT have trouble fitting these on children): make sure the child's forehead is bare, i.e. no bangs for the helmet to slide on. Also, the ones lined with material rather than the styrafoam are much less slipery. And finally, the strap is part of the system - fasten it securely.

Did all that...worked on 2 of the kids...
    And that is probably precisely my point... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    The problem is not the fitting of them in the tack shops it is the moving of them while in motion on the horses....

Its not important they stay still when all is good, it is IMPERATIVE they stay still when all *&%$&$# breaks lose on a horse. A horse bucking a child off is MUCH different, as we all know, than falling off a bike.

Enough said.. I was just up late last night and had to %$#&%#&$%# about the helmets...

Herein follows dogchushu's tale of helmet fitting woe... with a happy ending, of course!

Find a GOOD tack shop with GOOD help! When I mutilated my first helmet (it melted in the car... don't ask [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) I merrily went to the nearest tack shop to get another. The shop assistant shoved one onto my head and declared that one looked the best and was the one I should buy. Not knowing any better, I bought it.

Rode in it the first time and had a MAJOR headache after 20 minutes. The darn thing was too tight! Seems they didn't have the size I needed in stock, so (probably to make the sale) they sold me the only thing they could get onto my head. Grrrrrr! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Went to another tack shop and tried again. They declared that my head was MUCH too round for the long ovals that are currently all the rage (I have a Charlie Brown basket ball head apparently [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and, while they didn't have a helmet in my size in the best fitting model for me, they'd order a couple for me (the one they thought would fit plus one size up and one size down).

Sure enough, the helmet size they thought would fit, does. It's snug but doesn't give me headaches. Before finding my size, they made sure I styled my hair as I would be wearing it in the helmet.

Also, I ended up with a helmet that wasn't originally the style I wanted. I really wanted the pretty Royale. But, alas, the Royale does not work on my mutant head. The only way I could get one to work was to have it either too loose or too tight. But other styles worked for me... and they do look better when they fit.

Moral of the story: it's difficult, but keep trying. There are so many different styles and sizes of helmets out there... one will fit. But your tack store may not have that particular one in stock. And it may not be the one you're looking at. But keep trying.

AAAAAAnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddd the silence is broken by the low gentle rumbling of a sound unfamiliar to mankind. "IT" starts slowly and builds and builds and builds until you have to cover you ears to protect yourself. "IT" reachs unbelieveable magnitudes of loudness. "IT" turns society mothers into screaming, scratching she cats... "IT" turns fathers into wallet grabbing fellows trying to out bribe each other... "IT" turns normal children in to shrieking, crying puddles of emotion..."IT" turns trainers into sobbing, groveling babies afraid their juniors won't get to the ring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

Unknown to mankind anywhere else on earth !!! IT" has become so loud that every human being within miles clutches their heads and dives under anything large enough to sheild them.....

WHAT IN HEAVEN'S NAME CAN IT BE ......??? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

OH NO! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

"IT" is the sound of 2000 children and their parents running at break neck speed on Indio opening day to the vendor area!!!! Someone said there are helmets...lots of helmets...

Can you just see it now !!!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

A lot of tack stores simply don't have a wide enough variety of brands and styles of approved helmets. I went to more than one tack store in search of a helmet that fit (including Mary's Tack in Del Mar)...no luck. It isn't easy to find one that fits, but you can do it. I had to order 4 helmets from Dover and return 3. The Troxel Exeter fit me quite well since it is adjustable on the inside (there is a velcro strap in there, not padding that you add). Finding one that fits can be done, but it takes a lot more work than just driving to the local tack store. I would suggest ordering several from Dover, and returning the ones that don't fit. BTW, the Exeter has been out for over a year now, and I have yet to see it in a tack store....nor have I seen several helmets that Dover carries at the store.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

and everyone else.

Bumpkin has started the ball rolling with our local tack store to have a regional hat showing and fitting.

Several different stores gather in one location, bringing samples of their inventory and sizes. Effort should be made to include as many of the lines as possible.

Perhaps even some educational material on propper fitting ( which I really hope the store employees are versed in, but somehow I suspect many are not)

Stores can take orders for customers.

Everyone benifits.

A worthwhile effort. Perhaps you all can suggest it to your favorite tack store.

_\\]
    -- * > hoopoe
    The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

That's a really good idea. It amazes me that the stores have such a small selection when there are so many products out there!!!

visit www.victorianfarms.com

And I would love to do it, but I don't know if I can pull it off.

I think Kestrel is leaving to go South soon, and I have some other Club obligations that I need to tend to [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Perhaps, Hoopoe.......LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

By all means this is something that anyone can try to organize anyplace in the country.

one month ago, (during a lesson) I ended up in the dirt. I won't bore you all with the details but I landed on my head/shoulder while trying to do a "tuck and roll".

The impact dislocated my shoulder, broke my arm so severely that I now have major metal holding it together and broke my collarbone.
    But, thanks to my Troxel helmet, my brain is fully functional (most of the time!) and I didn't even suffer a concussion.

At the hospital, they were convinced that I must of hit my head hard enough to cause a concussion or at least pass out (based on damage to the rest of me) and were quite impressed at the protection my helmet had provided.

If this sounds like a testimonial for Troxel, it isn't - consider it a testimonial for ANY well- fitting approved helmet.

I have never understood how someone in this sport can justify not wearing an approved helmet. No matter how good a rider you are. No matter what you are doing - accidents happen. I ride about 4x's a week and haven't fallen in about 5 years.

Before I get back on (one more month -or- so to go!) I'm going to the tack store and replace my helmet. While I'm at it, I'm going to replace my daughter's - although she hasn't had a fall that she's hit her head - just because she's had it for a while now. (Thanks for the heads up on the need to replace helmets after 5 years or so)

I ordered a black on black GPA/4 today. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]