The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thank you, PLEASE, tell us what happens when a rider wears a hard hat instead of an approved helmet. I have heard the impact is worse than no helmet at all. Any details would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!!

I am glad that some one bumped this thread to the first page.

A couple of weeks ago I was ejected from a horse I was jumping. He over jumped the oxer and landed bucking, (well in my youth I like to think I would have stayed on [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] ) and after the third leap and kick I ccame off. My first fall in my GPA
    I landed on my shoulder and then my head snapped back and hit the ground. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] My first thought was "My head doesn't hurt". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JAS:
    Thank you, PLEASE, tell us what happens when a rider wears a hard hat instead of an approved helmet. I have heard the impact is worse than no helmet at all. Any details would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, when you are wearing a simple hard shell (hardhat), the force of the impact is not diffused and thereby reduced through the inner lining such as one finds in an approved. The same force that impacts upon a hard shell is transferred directly to the skull and the contents thereof (your brain).

I hesitate to give any 'benefit' to a plain hard hat since they are not safe, but the benefit over no helmet is the reduction of possible penetrating head injuries, like if your head happened to hit the ground on a steel surveying spike. Also, the hard hat might reduce abrasion, but that is minor if the concussion kills you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] But at least it means less cosmetic work for the funeral home! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~<>~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~<>~

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Since hifi decided to bump up all the GPA threads for some reason, I will bump up this thread, as it is actually very worth reading, or re-reading.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Hehe

I just printed Mr. Bumpkin's Helmet Theory for the barn today. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] The barn director was talking about getting a new helmet, but that she loved her unapproved because it fit sooooo well. So I pulled up COTH and did a search and hit print.

It is now posted on the riding/lesson board for all too read [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"No time to marry, no time to settle down. I'm a young woman and I ain't done runnin' around." - Bessie Smith

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I am going to print this up for the new stable also.

~the back of my horse, where the view is best!

Ok, Erin...we need this topic to have the little lightning bolt thingy to keep it at the top of the forum! It will reduce our need to shamelessly Bumpkin it Up all thet ime! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

~&lt;&gt;~ Remember, the Ark was built by a rank amateur; the Titanic was built by a team of experts~&lt;&gt;~

And in FAQ, Favorites, or reference.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).