The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

should be out tomorrow, unless the controversy settles.

Will it be released to the public, or will we have to wait for the USAEq (?) to make it public? I know that the decision won't make the "real" news most places, but the COTH and Equisearch have been so good about their coverage that it would be greatly appreciated if they could put the breaking news on the web as it breaks.

Has anyone heard anything?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

should be out tomorrow, unless the controversy settles.

Will it be released to the public, or will we have to wait for the USAEq (?) to make it public? I know that the decision won't make the "real" news most places, but the COTH and Equisearch have been so good about their coverage that it would be greatly appreciated if they could put the breaking news on the web as it breaks.

Has anyone heard anything?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

according to Jaffer on equisearch.com the USOC has given the two orgs until Nov. 17 to work it out...

will this ever end???

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

Here's a link to the article Bostonian is referring to:

Jaffer article on Equisearch
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

I don't think I've ever seen a situation where a "clean sweep" of the top layer is needed. Each and every person involved in our sport should really look at the devestation that is happening with each passing day. The TOTAL arrogance of some individuals on both sides and the TOTAL commitment to each person's decision to put their own egos over the good of the organizations has become distasteful. I don't blame the USOC in this matter -I'll bet they wanted to wash their hands of both organizations.

Whatever the results - I'm detouring my USET donations to other horse events & functions - sorry I made a contribution earlier this year. The lack of financial oversight and the TOTALLY top heavy salaries really caused me grave concerns and Mr. Leone's attitude of taking money from endowment funds without advising membership or more importantly THOSE WHO DONATED THE MONEY!

Mr. Balch seems to realize that while he did follow the legal trail and has put the USAE on track in many areas, his personality cannot be overlooked. It has offended many, many people.

There will be a resolution but the wounds are so deep - I fear it will be YEARS before this NGB - whatever it is gets sorted out. In the mean time the riders & horses are the ones hanging out to dry.

So USET really hates AB why? Because he filed a lawsuit that the courts said was right and just and made the USET do what they SHOULD HAVE DONE in the first place. So IOW they hate AB because he was right? Way to go, USET.

They hate him because he is demanding (of both organizations) that they beome OPEN and INCLUSIVE and RESPONSIVE and RESPONSIBLE.

What is so bad about that????

I sat at a meeting and listened to the NHJC BITCH AND MOAN AND COMPLAIN about how they couldn't POSSIBLY have AMATEURS involved with the organization & management of THEIR sport! NOT a good thing to say in front of ME!! I've heard USET and NHJC member literally tell me to "stay away from your buddy Alan Balch, he is EVIL" - HUH??? Just because he wants ETHICS GUIDELINES (which I am writing) and CLEAR CONFLICT OF INTEREST RULES???

Just because he pushed to move to the KY Horse Park which saves the organization over a million dollars per year???

Because he is pushing for TRULY PROFESSIONAL MARKETING and has a vision of this sport expanded beyond our narrow focus and touching every household in this country??

Just because he has a HIGHLY competent staff in KY who are responsive to members, who are getting the databases REALLY up to date, and who are entering the 21st century?

It seems to me that Alan is expected to be all things to all people - when he micromanages, he is bad, when he delegates, he is bad, when he steps aside because of potential conflicts of interest, he is bad, when he doesn't, he is still bad.

He is in a no win situation. What most people don't realize is that he does NOT make unilateral decisions - he has an Executive committee (from across the board) who work closely with him, and they (believe me) argue and even veto him at times. He listens to those who disagree, and definitely fights back - BUT he listens and has even been known to change his mind.

I was VERY wary of AB and the AHSA two years ago. I have done a LOT of talking with people, gone to meetings, read reports, looked at the figures, talked to staffers, etc etc. (done my homework, so to speak) I have become a supporter of the USA Eq and of Alan Balch. Even when I disagree with him (and I do one some things!)

Perhaps if he were a member of the East Coast establishment, this would not have been a problem.

Do I need a Flame Suit?? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

IlonaE - please inform as to what Balch has done that seemingly puts him on a par with the Antichrist?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

when it comes to Alan Balch. In my experience with him, he has been an intelligent, driven, intense, man who cares deeply about the future of horse sports in this country. He has always been more than willing to come to a workable compromise with the USET that would join the strengths of the two organizations -- but the USET has insisted that it be their way entirely or no way. They had to be the NGB.

Well, now -- thanks to the Evil Alan Balch's lawsuit -- for the first time the world (and its own Board of Trustees) has a true picture of the USET, its finances, and how it runs its business. No wonder they hate him so.

Yes, he has become a lightning rod. He's a convenient target for blame. But Alan Balch does not act alone. He has an Executive Committee and a 50+ member Board of Directors that he answers to, and nothing definative gets done without their approval.

Unlike the USET Board of Trustees -- who the testimony at the USOC hearing made very clear have been kept in the dark for years and are expected to follow the directives of the big money people at the top -- the members of the USA Eq Board have access to detailed information and discussion of every significant issue, and those issues undergo sometimes intense and prolonged debate before they are voted on. If the vote is controversal and the board desires it, the vote is done by secret ballot so people can vote their consciences without having to worry about personal and professional retribution.

Also, unlike the USET, the president of USA Eq is subject to term limits. He will be gone soon enough, but as part of an orderly, planned progression that will allow identification and election of a competent and capable successor.

This isn't directed at you specifically, Ilona, so please don't take it that way. It's just that I've heard too many people say that "everything would be OK if Alan Balch would just resign." Hell, given their personal hatred of him, I'm guessing that big wigs at the USET may well be demanding that Alan Balch resign before they will accept a compromise agreement that virtually everyone but them agree would be best for the entire sport. Well, you have to think of what the consequences of that action would be.

OK. So let's hypothetically say that Alan Balch would agree to resign or that its a possibility that he would do so (and I very much hope it is not). Who do you propose immediately step in as President of USA Eq?

It's an unpaid, full-time position. (Jim Wofford, a wonderful man, had to resign from the AHSA presidency 10 years ago because he could not afford to have the job.) It is a virtually thankless position which draws intense fire from all sides for almost every action taken or not taken.

So, let's see, who are the people who immediately come to mind who might want the job and are financially in the position to take it -- Jane Clark? Armand Leone, Jr.? Finn Casperson?

Yeah -- we could look forward to going back to having USA Eq run in exactly the same way the USET is run -- a closed society of wealthy insiders who don't want the unwashed masses playing in their very exclusive sandbox.

Until somebody else steps forward who is strong, capable, intelligent, and can and will do the job -- and who will keep USA Eq on the progressive, open course that it is on now -- I for one am intensely grateful for Alan Balch and the fact that he's still willing to take the kind of immense load of crap and incredible personal vilification he's had to deal with throughout all this.

Just my personal opinion, of course.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

[QUOTE] Merger, however, is not part of the USET's vocabulary for this exercise, since the trustees do not want "the AHSA to control their affairs," said Leone.

"I have always felt a settlement is possible," said USAE President Alan Balch. "I continue to feel a settlement is possible and we will, on the USA Equestrian side, be exploring every possible avenue to see if we can get a settlement because we strongly believe that's in the best interests of the sport.." [QUOTE]

To me, these two quotes are SO indicative of the challenge we face.

The USET believes that the sport is THEIR sandbox - an issue of their PERSONAL affairs, rather than the concern of ALL RIDERS and supporters of the sport.

Alan Balch, and USAE, put the needs of the MEMBERSHIP and the sport first.

Ms. Jaffers' article also suggests that neither side will like the decision if it is handed down by the USOC. That concerns me, as it implies that the USET leadership will still have some role in the governance of the sport, dispite what appears to me to be INCREDIBLE mismanagement and disregard for not only the riders, but also the sponsors and contributors who have formed the financial support of the Team in the past.

To appreciate heaven well
    'Tis good for a man to have some fifteen minutes of hell.
    Will Carleton (1845-1912)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

WHAT?

Alan Balch should resign because he has upset the USET applecart??

USOC is going to put off a decision AGAIN?

Exactly WHAT is going on here...?

if I look back on the chronology of all this, it appears to me that USOC tipped off USET at some point that there was going to be a problem re: the NGB status.

Which is why Alan Balch signed the now-notorious agreement--as he explained in his testimony.

And now that USET has given itself the defense it so richly (tee hee) deserves, and has failed utterly to make any kind of case for itself...the people-who-run-USET (can you say JaneClark really fast?) have handed down the Official Decree:

"We are displeased. He must resign. Send him to Elba."

WHY,exactly, is USOC refusing to get involved in what appears to be a simple and clear cut decision?

As I understand it, if USET agrees to a re-organization, USET will carry on exactly as it has been doing in the 'important' part of its job description--fielding and otherwise overseeing international teams yadda-yadda--

BUT

there will be the seemingly insignificant matter that the USET branch, like all the other branches of the NGB, will have to report on its program and schedule ,to a central committee. Inclduing, I imagine, finances.

Hmmmm.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

I said his personality has offended people AND it has. He got into a proverbial pissing contest with the Editor of the local Horse of the Delaware Valley which is something an ED should NEVER DO. You can have PR people answer incorrect statements or falsehoods but for the benefit of the organization and the respect of the position the ED should not mud-wrestle at that level. But he does it over and over again.

I certainly backed his request for financial information and my premise on this is the fact that there is CLEARLY a rift in personalities that I don't believe can ever be overcome. If we want a strong NGB that works and doesn't have dissention within and constant back stabbing well you have to have someone leading that ALL parties can support. Do you think that can happen??? I don't.

PLEASE - don't make statements about my posts that are TOTALLY MIS-REPRESENTATIVE of what I've written. THANK YOU.!!!

It's ludicrous to have a position like this which is un-salaried - in fact it's irresponsible because the pool of people who can accept an unpaid position of this magnitude and responsibility is probably a handful. It's a corporation that needs a CEO - PERIOD. Paid with a job description, clearly defined benefits and a contract. This is a business not a hobby.

Maybe when the USAE wins it's battle, they will start paying their staff legitimate salaries.

Sorry IlonaE - for the hyperbole - I simply meant "what has he done to offend" - which you answered in your subsequent post

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Particularly the business of how blatantly and stupidly the USET squanders it's(?) money - (which is really the money of their contributors!

C-O-N-T-R-I-B-U-T-O-R-S.

Get it?
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo

A-D-M-I-N-I-S-T-R-A-T-I-V-E

I-N-E-P-T-I-T-U-D-E.
    [i]\"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be wo

B-O-A-R-D
    M-E-M-B-E-R-S
    W-I-T-H
    T-H-E-I-R
    H-E-A-D-S
    S-T-U-C-K
    I-N
    T-H-E
    S-A-N-D

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Personally, I do not believe this to be a fight between Balch and Leone or Balch and Clark/Casperson or..... (although for some it is convenient to personalize the issues)

I believe this to be supporters of a republic vs. supporters of an oligarchy.

With or without Balch, USA Eq. has moved toward becoming a democratic / republic style organization and I do not believe that this movement will be / can be / or / should be stopped.

Oh, yeah, the BOARD

Whose membership is subject to the whims of the Executive Committee, and is dependant upon the Board member AGREEING completely with the Executive COmmittee's directives.

Oh, and there are those rider "votes" that I won't talk about... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Actually, it makes me very [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!