The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Donkey roping must be stopped

My apologies if this has been posted before.

Google-- donkey roping must be stopped.
    Read and weep, you can sign the petition.

Thanks for posting this here. I've been following the issue and, just this morning, sent this letter to the editor of the Van Horn Advocate: http://www.braysofourlives.com/2012/...editor-at.html
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Thank you for that link, and what a good letter you sent to the Van Horn Advocate.
    I heard of this through the Va. Draft horse and Mule Assoc.

Didgery,

Very well said !!

OK, is this roping such as team roping, or as in breakaway roping?? My Google search wasn't that successful.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

You mean like when they practice on goats before they move up to calves? That's like...wow...how to make a really pissed off donkey. Killer donkeys. They don't just hate coyotes anymore.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Yep, that's the site I found too. Not too much information, seems like team roping.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Team roping and goat tying are also repulsive to me, but this seems like a good place to start voicing my objections.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Why can't we get those anti-carriage crazies from NY to address an issue of REAL cruelty?

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    Why can't we get those anti-carriage crazies from NY to address an issue of REAL cruelty?
    cause no valuable real estate is involved.
    but i agree with you for sure.

Not in America, surely?! Why??

Maybe if petition signers point out that animal cruelty and torture precludes violence and torture against humans?

Communities that allow and support violence and animal abuse as activities are teaching their children that is is acceptable.

Sick and twisted.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Those that are offended by rodeo events like tie down roping, team roping and steer tripping need to remember there are people out there offended by show jumping, carriage driving, trail riding and even keeping a horse as a pasture pet. Be sure that the end goal of the groups youare supporting isn't total elimination of animal use by humans.

For the record, I'm far more bothered by the Mexican rodeo event of pulling a live chicken out of the ground from the back of a horse that often ends in decapitated chickens
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Justa Bob View Post
    Maybe if petition signers point out that animal cruelty and torture precludes violence and torture against humans?

Communities that allow and support violence and animal abuse as activities are teaching their children that is is acceptable.

Sick and twisted.
    I don't think "precludes" is the word you're looking for!

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Those that are offended by rodeo events like tie down roping, team roping and steer tripping need to remember there are people out there offended by show jumping, carriage driving, trail riding and even keeping a horse as a pasture pet. Be sure that the end goal of the groups youare supporting isn't total elimination of animal use by humans.

For the record, I'm far more bothered by the Mexican rodeo event of pulling a live chicken out of the ground from the back of a horse that often ends in decapitated chickens
    There are many people that are against donkey roping that are not against rodeo. In these donkey ropings the donkeys are roped exactly like team roping steers are. They are at a full run out of the chute, they are roped around the neck and yanked around for the heeler to catch then stretched just like a steer. But unlike a steer with leather horn wraps, these donkeys have no protection on their necks. And with their longer necks, the donkeys are at much higher risk of injury from being yanked around. I saw photos from last years roping were donkeys were yanked around so hard by the header that their hind feet were airplaned off the ground. That is hard on an equine animals neck.

Here is a video. Luckily this donkey wasn't running fast when they roped him. In the pictures I saw the donkeys were running hard and getting whipped around pretty good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIC61vJpQog

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    O_o That...officially creeps me out more than one of their other little Mexican-rodeo hobbies, horse-tripping.

Why donkeys? Wouldn't a calf or sheep be faster?

Well donkeys are a dime a dozen in Texas these days. Plus donkeys are often used to practice on in the team roping world. In the case of practice, the donkeys are sometimes ponyed by a halter so the heeler can practice roping the hind feet. Or sometimes the donkeys are just chased around the arena. Some of these practice donkeys are treated right and never roped around the neck, have the rope tightened around the legs, or stretched out. Some are handled roughly in practice, but there is an asshat in every crowd. But this is an actual roping competition. I am not sure how it developed from just practicing to actually roping the neck at a run from the chute, yanking the donkey around, roping the heels and stretching them out. I guess because there will always be people that like to torture animals for fun. And since donkeys are a dime a dozen, they are more disposable than cattle. Rope the crap out of them then dump them out in the desert.

BabyGoose, thank you for the description because I can't bring myself to watch the video or I will not sleep for a week.

It is just sickening. I have had donkeys for over 30 years and they are extremely affectionate, gentle, intelligent creatures. Yes, they can turn on the Rambo, but that's when their herd is threatened, and they are very brave and protective.

This is just wrong. Sometimes I just can't believe how cruel some humans can be.