The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by armandh:
    since the USOC's goal seems to be an unpleasant merger of the USET and USAE arbitration still seems to be the best route in dealing with the recalcitrant USOC....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but (I'm sure to the enormous relief of the USOC) there is no arbitration unless the USOC rules against USAE in the Seidel+ complaint, right?

is arbitration an option with compliance issues?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

any action against the USAE could be subject to arbitration IMO such as the implied threat that they must merge to be considered as a suitable NGB. I think the USOC said they didn't see how the USAE could qualify as a stand alone NGB without including the assets of the USET. [IE merge the way we want]
    more hay, less grain

LISTEN TO THE WEBCAST OF THE BOARD MEETING TODAY at 4 PM.

Further information at www.equestrian.org.
    Snow may be a factor in getting everyone here physically, but Board members can conference in, and everyone else can listen to the web cast, and email questions to the Board.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Will any of our fabulous laptop bearing lawyer/stenographer/wonder women be able to type in the proceedings for those of us who will be outside teaching 9 year olds to steer at 4???

The Latest from USET....whatever....

USET Explains Its Withdrawal of USOC Challenge
    Maintains Commitment to Mission of Serving U.S. Athletes

Gladstone, NJ—January 16, 2003—On January 15, the United States Equestrian Team (USET) withdrew its Challenge before the U.S. Olympic Committee (USOC) in order to facilitate a more rapid resolution to the equestrian governance dispute. Believing it could best serve this country’s equestrian athletes, as it has for more than a half-century, by defusing the extremely adversarial situation that has prevented USA Equestrian and the USET from being able to find common ground to resolve this matter, the USET withdrew the Challenge.

“What matters most to virtually everyone in the sport of equestrian is that the turmoil that has been hurting all of us ends by bringing the sport into compliance with the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act,” said USET President Armand Leone, Jr.

“The USET’s withdrawal of the Challenge is in no way connected to the recent decision of the Superior Court of New Jersey,” Leone continued. “Nowhere in the judge’s decision did the court find that the USET lacked proper authorization or proper documentation to continue with the Challenge. However, complaints against USA Equestrian that athletes have filed with the USOC, as well as the Complaint filed by the USET, have put the issues of non-compliance squarely before the USOC Hearing Panel. In addition, the USOC Membership and Credentials (M&C) Committee, in a separate proceeding, is also reviewing USAE’s non-compliance with the Sports Act.

“Since the matter of getting equestrian into compliance with the Sports Act is being addressed on these two fronts, the challenge was not playing a role in expediting a resolution. Given that it was no longer necessary, the USET withdrew its challenge. We hope this step will help to create an atmosphere that will assist in resolving the equestrian governance dispute.”

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dealer:
    I am again dismayed and confused.

Who won in the Balch/Leone contest?

Why is anyone celebrating when the NGB decision is undecided?

The issue is still in front of the USOC.

Both Balch and Leone have just squandewred our dues in a self serving fashion. Both should resign.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it is important to remember that this is a matter of the sport's governance, and as such, decisions are made by the BOARDS of both USAE and USET.

Although it has been characterized as a matter of wills between Balch and Leone, neither acts as an individual or has sole authority to act for their organizations.

There are strong feelings in this dispute, but there are also genuine issues of structure and organization that will impact the sport for years to come. These issues are much bigger than any of the individuals who are participating in its resolution.

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
    Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)
    \"It\'s a funny thing about life: If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.\" ---W. Somerset Maugham

well Jeannette - I'll try but I keep getting disconneted

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I have to admit that I haven't followed all this stuff closely but after reading the court's transcripts I have this advice:

USET board (when and if a legal one ever exists): GET A NEW ATTORNEY. PREFEREABLY ONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE HELL ORAL ARGUMENT IS FOR.

As an attorney, I was embarrassed by Mr. Leone.

If we manage, throughout our training to preserve both the gentleness and the gaiety of our horse we shall not, in the end, go very far amiss--Wynmalan
    If we manage, throughout our training to preserve both the gentleness and the gaiety of our horse we shall not, in the end, go very far amiss--Wynmalan

there is a new and final recommendation being put forward

lawgrl .... thank you ... that was exactly what I was thinking ...

AND ... I thought that the fact that they did not have a properly authorized BOD meant EXACTLY that they had no standing or authority to enter that Challenge!
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

Alan Balch is offering that if the USET agrees to a mutually acceptable structure for the NGB by Feb 1 (usoc membership meeting) he will agree to step down and not stand as a future candidate.

If AB stands down, David O Conner will be acting Pres/CEO

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.
    Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)
    \"It\'s a funny thing about life: If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.\" ---W. Somerset Maugham

In the event that USET does not agree, AB will continue to serve (if elected) through the end of the term in 2005 and WOULD stand for any open position that may become available

Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

Nominating slate is
    AB continues to serve in present capacity
    (tenure depends upon USET decision above)
    David OConner to serve as VP
    Judy Werner Secy
    Kathy Meyer Treas
    Steve Hawkins Asst Treas

Linda Allen has agreed to step aside so that room can be made for a representative on the board from Dressage

Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

basically - if uset comes to terms - then if elected Alan B will serve only until consolidation and David O'Connor would step in after

if uset refuses - then AB will continue to serve throughout the term and in any capacity in which he is asked to serve thereafter

--- missed quite a bit due to pesky work interference

ooooh - thanks Liverpool - you're doing much better than I

Attorney Peter A is going to give a brief synopsis of USAE's defense of NGB

AB now discussing current situation

Withdrawal of Art 8 CHALLENGE being withdrawn by USET should NOT be interpreted as a concession

This is only due to the recent NJ ruling, which found the USET's corporate actions to be null and void

Art. 8 COMPLAINT filed just before Xmas still pending and may have been done in anticipation of the decision above

Athlete complaint still pending also

USOC compliance review still pending

Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

Armand responds that USOC findings lend credence to the USET's actions (references hearing panel report)

Says that pursuing the actions were necessary to preserve their interests

Says actions of the USOC integral to this decision, and particularly their withdrawal of the hearing panel decision lends credence to the USET pursuit of arbitration...

Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)

Peter noted that the USOC's outside council termed the USOC Hearing Panel's decision "strange & unusual"

also said that Hearing Panel decision reversal was unprecedented

One director has asked, what is the present situation?

AB responds,

Art 8 Complaint (diff than challenge) still pending
    Athlete complaints mirror that challenge/ complaint
    Previous challenge could be reopened at an indeterminate time
    Technically the arbitration is still pending
    (decision due tomorrow)

Bill Roos (I think) says likely that arbitration request will be denied because of the withdrawal of the challenge - USAE may be considered no longer an aggrieved party

Oscar Wilde (1854–1900)