The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Well We started working on a letter to the USOC and it sort of faded away. I set up a link for ideas on how to phrase the letter at http://www.hunterjumper.org

No letters yet!

I wonder if the USOC is influenced by the fact that Jane Forbes Clark is on their Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of the FEI?

<< posted Jan. 11, 2003 11:13 PM
    Well We started working on a letter to the USOC and it sort of faded away. I set up a link for ideas on how to phrase the letter at http://www.hunterjumper.org

No letters yet!>>

There will be, after this weekend.

<<I wonder if the USOC is influenced by the fact that Jane Forbes Clark is on their Board of Directors and the Executive Committee of the FEI? >>

Gosh-- do you think????

OK..will send in letter ideas sometime around Monday/Tues.
    What a NOVEL thought...
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

I will be at the Convention next week, leave on Tuesday and not back home until Monday. BUT...

You could fax it to me at the convention might make some good reading for the Board of Directors and some good conversation at the committee meetings...Don't you think?

Lexington, KY LOCATION:
    Marriott Griffin Gate
    1800 Newtown Pike
    Lexington, KY 40511
    (859) 231-5100

I don't know my room number but hopefully they will. A fist full of letters would be really nice.

incase you don't know it's: Vikki Karcher Siegel

Portia is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Frank Deford has a pretty scathing column about the USOC in Sports Illustrated. A sample from the first two paragraphs:

"Naming the most pathetically inept sports entity in the United States may not be easy. The Cincinnati Bengals, some fans would immediately shout. No, others would cry out, the Los Angeles Clippers exhibit the kind of sustained failure that is tough to beat. And I shan't be cruel enough to mention the many colleges that give special meaning to the word "loser."

Still, when it comes to unadulterated incompetence in sports, it's difficult not to put your United States Olympic Committee at the top of any list of challengers. To call your USOC a laughingstock simply does not do justice to banana republics, Keystone Kops or Arthur Andersen."

Here's the link to the entire commentary:

Deford in SI -- USOC Needs an Overhaul
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

and the AP article on CNNSI.com is equally enlightening:

CNNSI.com

I wonder if we could interest Mr. Deford in our little squabble?
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif I wish!

Anyone have any ideas how to get to him. I notice that the only thing that comes up when you search for horses is racing and for equestrian is the possible dropping of eventing.

I think they just don't care about us!

This too important to disappear!

Portia I have question for you:
    Is there any difference in the fact that this ruling was made regarding the operation of a 501c Corporation in New Jersey? Is it necessary for it to be in a Federal Court regarding the operation of a 501c corporation in order to compell the USOC to consider the ruling that the USET is mis-managed? That all of their actions including the filing of the Challenge are null and void?

USOC article on the front page of today's LA Times:

It's a Five-Ring Circus at the U.S. Olympic Committee
    Infighting, controversy, leadership changes have damaged organization's credibility.
    By Alan Abrahamson
    Times Staff Writer

January 13 2003

Tumult at the top of the United States Olympic movement - a parade of leadership changes, incessant political infighting, allegations of doping scandals and, most recently, ethics-related controversies - is triggering fears that American athletes will win fewer medals in 2004 and beyond.

The U.S. led the medal count at the last two Summer Games and accounted for a team-record number of medals at the 2002 Salt Lake Winter Games.

But turmoil in the U.S. Olympic Committee appears to be chipping away at the organization's credibility and may threaten funding that is the lifeblood of its athletes.

"There are ... too many people involved in the movement who are there just to take trips, to be team managers, to wear the blue blazers or the USA warmup jackets," said Edwin Moses, a two-time Olympic 400-meter hurdles champion. "There's a lot to be desired in the organization right now."

A "laughingstock" is the way one prominent USOC official described the organization. Said another: "I'm not sure we can get lower."

[...]

LA Times (free registration required)
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

The USOC just fried ANY respect I might have had left for them

ESPN
    Mal:This is the Captain. We have a little problem with our entry sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then .... explode

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Except for the effect on the USET bank book and maybe its tax-exempt status, the NJ court ruling is pretty much beside the point at this stage of the game, I would think.

The challenge has been dead for a while, and it looks to me like the USET/USOC are pinning their hopes on the complaint from Gunter Seidel (?) They have ruled that USAEq is NOT in compliance; no matter what USAEq does to GET in compliance, as long as it doesn't include a merger with USET on USET terms, I would predict that the USOC will continue to find them out of compliance so USAEq can be replaced, per the ruling in the last order.

That gives USET a bunch of time to clean its house, but it would be nice to have this thing settled before the PanAm games. I'm sure the USOC will continue to funnel ITS money through the USET, as long as the USET remains a legal 501(c) corporation.

I've been off line since August with a dead computer and don't seem to have missed much except the USOC ruling on the complaint, which I haven't read yet.

Did they have a hearing on the Seidel complaint, or was the complaint ruling out of the original challenge, which the USOC always did want to treat as a complaint. I reckon that will make all the difference in the world.

What, if anything, is the status of the arbitration?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vineyridge:
    Except for the effect on the USET bank book and maybe its tax-exempt status, the NJ court ruling is pretty much beside the point at this stage of the game, I would think.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

except that the big changes that were made (board members, by-laws, etc) were accomplished with methods contrary to the laws of New Jersey -- does that not mean that those changes must be recinded?

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Portia is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

The ultimate legal effect of the NJ ruling should be that the USOC is required to dismiss the Challenge entirely because the USET did not effectively assert it (with the USET having the required proper bylaws and other organic documents already in place) within one year after the last Olympic Games, as required by the Sports Act and the USOC Constitution and Bylaws. However, as we've seen, the USOC is sometimes not too interested in such legal niceties and statutory requirements if they don't fit its plans.

The Seidel complaint is what the M&C Committee letter was based upon, though as the letter from Lori Rawls on behalf of USA Eq sets out, the whole M&C Committee action is irregular, at the least.

I tend to agree with Vineyridge that as a practical matter the challenge was dead anyway, and the USET has largely given up trying to become the NGB in place of USA Eq. Instead, my guess is that the USET wants to put so much pressure on USA Eq through the USOC that USA Eq is forced to consolidate with USET on terms that would really be a take-over of USA Eq by the current USET oligarchy and let the USET "money rules, secrecy is good, the little people don't need to know" management philosophy to control the sport.

[This message was edited by Portia on Jan. 14, 2003 at 06:03 PM.]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Seidel's complaint was awfully lame - but aren't there supposedly others tacked on to his now?

the latest Rawls to Satrom letter was certainly revealing - USOC tells everyone that they don't want to hear from anyone else but then have private meetings with various and sundry folk provided by uset - now we know where the USOC's "consensus" in equestrian sport came from

The latest from the USET. They continue to try to make Alan Balch the bad guy. Is it me, or hasn't anyone noticed that this strategy hasn't worked?

Balch Continues to Undermine USET Service to Equestrian Athletes

Gladstone, NJ—January 13, 2003—USA Equestrian (USAE) President Alan F. Balch, in another in a continuing series of steps designed to deflect attention from his organization’s being out of compliance with the requirements of a National Governing Body (NGB), has forced a delay in action by the United States Equestrian Team (USET) to approve and implement programs for 2003.

USET President Dr. Armand Leone, Jr. received a letter from Balch on Sunday afternoon, January 12, demanding that the USET not hold its annual membership and Board of Trustees meetings scheduled for Monday morning, January 13. He claimed that the USET did not have a valid Board to call these meetings based on a ruling by a New Jersey Court on Friday, January 10, that all actions, including election of a Board of Trustees, at its October, 2001 annual meeting were null and void.

Rather than give Balch an opportunity to initiate further unnecessary and wasteful litigation, the USET immediately adjourned both meetings on January 13 without taking any action.

“This is yet another example of Alan Balch throwing up smokescreens to divert attention from the real issue, namely USAE’s lack of compliance with the requirements of being an NGB,” said Leone.

“The New Jersey Court did rule our October, 2001 meeting invalid based on a technical requirement, but everything connected with that meeting, as with all our meetings, was completely above board,” Leone continued. “To slow service to our sport’s athletes is a shame, but rather than put the USET in a position of having to face further litigation from Alan Balch, we thought it more prudent to defer any actions scheduled to be conducted at these meetings to a later time pending further evaluation of the judge’s opinion.

“Meanwhile, the USET calls upon the Board of USAE to end its support of Alan Balch and his disruptive actions as cited by the U.S. Olympic Committee in its letter of December 23, 2002. Only then can we end this ridiculous waste of resources that is hurting our sport.”

In its letter to USAE Executive Director Lori Rawls on December 23, 2002, the USOC said that it was, “Concerned about a failure by USAE to acknowledge its obligations as an NGB, a lack of candor and cooperation by USAE leadership in its oral and written submissions to the Committee, and USAE’s efforts to disrupt, rather than further, the efforts of the Committee to conduct its compliance review.”

The letter also said that, “Rather than accept questions and positions taken by others as opportunities to move the sport forward, USAE’s behavior has been destructive and has often been mean spirited, contrary to the fundamental principles of the Olympic movement.”

Leone said that Balch’s actions related to the USET meetings underscored two further points made in the USOC letter, namely that, “A primary focus of USAE’s response was to attack USET,” and that, “USAE has become so consumed with issues of turf, power, control and winning against USET at all costs that it has ceased to conduct USAE in the best interests of the sport of equestrian, the United States athletes who compete in sport of equestrian, or the Olympic movement in the United States.”

Leone urged the USAE Board of Directors to listen to the call of the USOC that “USAE leadership has lost all perspective concerning the situation and needs to step back and reconsider its current and ongoing course of conduct. USAE has wasted its resources, the resources of the USET, the resources of the Committee, and the resources of several offices of the USOC.”

is Mr./Dr. Leone not listening?

"the New Jersey Court observed: "As the record demonstrates, Mr. Balch did everything he could to avoid this lawsuit, but the USET persisted in thumbing its nose at the rulings of this Court in the first lawsuit, defiantly repeating the very same conduct for which it had been rebuked, even to the point of attempting to resurrect acts which this Court had nullified." As a result, the Court ordered the USET to reimburse Mr. Balch for the fees and expenses he incurred in obtaining today's rulings."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by haligator:
    ......USET President Dr. Armand Leone, Jr. received a letter from Balch on Sunday afternoon, January 12, demanding that the USET not hold its annual membership and Board of Trustees meetings scheduled for Monday morning, January 13. He claimed that the USET did not have a valid Board to call these meetings based on a ruling by a New Jersey Court on Friday, January 10, that all actions, including election of a Board of Trustees, at its October, 2001 annual meeting were null and void.......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the aforementioned letter can now be read at http://www.equestrian.org/Equestrian...-1-12-2003.pdf

Gosh, SGray, aren't you surprised that the USET press release didn't quote the judge or mention that USET was forced to pay all Balch's court costs? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_razz.gif
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

well - ruling is now posted at http://www.equestrian.org/Equestrian...-1-10-2003.pdf - I am printing off a copy to read tonight - should be interesting, eh?

OMG I just read all 25 pages of the transcript of the oral arguments .... I cannot wait to hear the lawyerly opinions on this, but as someone who has done 'Court' as part of my job, I am stunned ...