The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

SGray -- Aside from racing, they don't cover much equestrian news. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif When the National was in NYC, they ran articles but I'm not sure about this year. I'll keep an eye out -- and try to run a search on their website. Last year (or maybe the year before, they did something on the winter circuit for the Style section. There may be a thread here on it. It was pretty negative -- and I can't remember who did that either.

Liverpool, Thanks again for your play-by-play. I just read all 11 pages tonight.

It seems, (please those of you who are smarter in these matters than I am, correct me if I'm wrong http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif ) but it seems as if there may be a light at the end of a dark winding tunnel that is not the on coming headlights of a Mack truck. Not that it's solved, but a resolution appears to be in sight.

- Therese

- Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Therese, you are very welcome. Glad to help.

I would like to add that while I know the meeting is poorly promoted, I will second the thoughts that Portia has posted about attending even if you are "just" a regular member.

This was my third year of attendance and the difference is simply amazing - you can sit in on almost ANY committee and most welcome comments and questions, too. It is so much easier to understand the issues when you hear the presentations on challenges like the NGB dispute!

For what it is worth I do think there is light at the end of this particular tunnel. The USET has few other options open to them if they want to be part of the NGB going forward. And the USOC folks have quite a lot on their own governance plate at the moment; I cannot imagine that they want to belabor this particular issue and will insist it gets solved sooner rather than later.

The offer on the table makes a lot of sense to me. The division of accounts allows anyone who wishes to designate support to only ONE of the groups to do so without concern that the funds will be applied in a way that doesn't suit them, while retaining the strength of the organization as a whole that will benefit all horse sports.

And who could argue against David O'Conner in the leadership role? The guy is simply amazing. Thoughtful, talented, committed... and with unquestioned integrity. He is really an inspired choice.
    \"It\'s a funny thing about life: If you refuse to accept anything but the best, you very often get it.\" ---W. Somerset Maugham

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Therese:
    on coming headlights of a Mack truck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Mack is owned by Volvo, so you're looking at Volvo headlights. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

So, whadja all think of the latest news? They're (USET,USAE) joining up (as USOC instructed) and AB and AL will not be on board?
    Cool, huh? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif

Where did you hear Armand Leone would also step down? Is there a story out there somewhere about the USET reaction?

If he has to step aside, which personally I think is a huge loss to the sport of equestrian.............I vote for Alan Balch to be head of the USOC (yet another thankless task)........Perhaps he could clean up that mess since he has done such a terrific job of bringing governance out in the open for us

I mean Alan Balch not Armand Leone!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ezzie:
    If he has to step aside, which personally I think is a huge loss to the sport of equestrian.............I vote for Alan Balch to be head of the USOC (yet another thankless task)........Perhaps he could clean up that mess since he has done such a terrific job of bringing governance out in the open for us<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"clean up that mess" - it's like cleaning the Augean stables - many years of accumulated manure

or like the labors of Sisyphus
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Portia is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

And this time they'd have to pay him! He deserves a job that will pay him "a few hundred thousand dollars" in bonuses after dealing with the equestrian mess for free! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

That's something people haven't much commented on, is that the board passed amendments to the USA Eq Constitution so that finally they can hire a professional CEO who will be paid for all the work he/she does. You should have seen Jim Wofford and Ned Bonney's happy reaction when that one (which they've been fighting for for 20 years) finally passed! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Portia - glad to hear they resolved that, although I was hoping they wouldn't leave it as reporting to the president, but instead would leave the position as reporting to the Chairman of the Board.

CEOs reporting to Presidents tweaked at my finely honed sense of Corporate Order (such as it is these days). But CEOs reporting to COBs, who by definition are elected by Shareholders, and therefore represent the Will of the Shareholders (really, I can keep a straight face when I say that http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif ), seems to be much more the thing. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif

But it is all semantics, when you come down to it, and all is good with the concept, to be sure! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

the congressional hearings about USOC?Will these hearings really shed light on what we all have been witness to??I.E. questionable decisions conflict of interest in picking Olympic teams ,etc etc ?? What do you think will happen to horse sports due to these hearings?
    Brilyntrip

I think that without these hearings USOC and USET would stay locked in their tight embrace, i.e., USET will be USOC's golden child NO MATTER what they do, no matter what a NJ judge says, no matter what. The people are so much alike in how they operate, how they dissemble, how they twist things - they're soulmates, face it.

PERHAPS if the glare of investigation on USOC continues, USOC will be forced to do the right thing in equestrian, but I firmly believe (sad to say) that they must be forced by shining a light on their doings because otherwise there is no way in **** USOC will do the right thing. Tell me, looking at all this stuff coming out about USOC, do you think for a SECOND they would welcome Alan Balch and USAEq, as they proceed in open-ness, to be part of their clique? They run like cockroaches when the light is switched on. Opening up USAEq doings to everyone is good news for us and for the horses and for the sport but it is NOT good news for USOC, so why on earth would they choose that option?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Portia:

That's something people haven't much commented on, is that the board passed amendments to the USA Eq Constitution so that _finally_ they can hire a professional CEO who will be _paid_ for all the work he/she does. You should have seen Jim Wofford and Ned Bonney's happy reaction when that one (which they've been fighting for for 20 years) finally passed! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I liked the part where AB apologized to Jimmy for opposing him on this, and said he'd been wrong and Jimmy was right. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_smile.gif
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

coldritzy where did you hear this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So, whadja all think of the latest news? They're (USET,USAE) joining up (as USOC instructed) and AB and AL will not be on board?
    Cool, huh? Smile<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The last I heard that was the offer on the table from USAE and that the USET had until February 1 to answer. I have seen no references to any answer that has been received.It has always been the offer of a merger that came from USAE and it has always been the USET that has refused to even discuss it.