The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Shadowfax was very cool. I loved how Gandalf just whistled for him (in that special way).

And how sweet was it when that horse came for Aragorn kissing him when he was dreaming of Arwen and lying for him when he was wounded? That was just so awesome it made my heart melt. Was that in the book? I don't remember.

When Gandalf shows up on Shadowfax at Helm's Deep and attacks with Eodoras, they kind of fight. Do the Urk Hai run away because of Gandalf's power?

Can I just say that Viggo Mortenson and Orlando Bloom look damn good on a horse. According to a documentary I saw, Viggo does ride. They showed him in an Aussie hat. He'd be a great older version of the guy in "The Man from Snowy River."

I love the scene where Gimli is on the horse, Legolas is on the ground shooting the Isengard wolves and mounts the horse at a gallop -- stunt double or digital, I'm sure. But to think of Orlando Bloom swinging up behind me like that. Pant, pant.

The documentary showed Orlando taking a lesson, and he was wearing a hard hat!!!

What did you guys think of the stable? Standing stalls? Humph. Except for Shadowfax. But they were beautiful. Where did they keep the horses in Helm's Deep?

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

*** Member of the Rust Clique ***
    *** Member of the Ebay Anonymous Clique ***
    *** Member of the MKF (Michelle Kwan Forum)***
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

Shadowfax was very cool. I loved how Gandalf just whistled for him (in that special way).

And how sweet was it when that horse came for Aragorn kissing him when he was dreaming of Arwen and lying for him when he was wounded? That was just so awesome it made my heart melt. Was that in the book? I don't remember.

When Gandalf shows up on Shadowfax at Helm's Deep and attacks with Eodoras, they kind of fight. Do the Urk Hai run away because of Gandalf's power?

Can I just say that Viggo Mortenson and Orlando Bloom look damn good on a horse. According to a documentary I saw, Viggo does ride. They showed him in an Aussie hat. He'd be a great older version of the guy in "The Man from Snowy River."

I love the scene where Gimli is on the horse, Legolas is on the ground shooting the Isengard wolves and mounts the horse at a gallop -- stunt double or digital, I'm sure. But to think of Orlando Bloom swinging up behind me like that. Pant, pant.

The documentary showed Orlando taking a lesson, and he was wearing a hard hat!!!

What did you guys think of the stable? Standing stalls? Humph. Except for Shadowfax. But they were beautiful. Where did they keep the horses in Helm's Deep?

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

OMG I could live the rest of my life with Legolas. (where's the dreamy eyed dopey looked smiley?) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    ESPECIALLY after that riding stunt.

Tell me.. Where can I find this supposed riding lesson avec Orlando Bloom? DVD? Website?

"We will not agree to war, unless you have spent the same amount of money first seeking peace" - anonymous
    I\'m old enough to know better, yet young enough to get away with it.

Did anyone notice the Shadowfax-colored neck rope for Gandalf. Most of the time it was quite invisible but you could see it a few times.

I was slightly disapointed they didn't show the herds of horses on the plains of Rohan.

Didn't you think the horses all had a very "steppy" canter -- like a funny way of pushing out their front legs?

I [Heart] Eomer

Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!
    Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

My husband and I were elbowing other after Orlando's vault behind the Dwarf! We'll be watching that again and again on the DVD! I thought the whole set of Rohan was just gorgeous - I want some of those banners!!

Everyone laughed at me - I got all teary when the horse woke Aragorn up! It was so sweet!!

Yea - the neck rope was sometimes there, and sometimes not. Anyone know if they did some scenes where the horse was bridled and they edited the bridle out? I swear in some scenes the actor/stunt double looks like one of his hands is in a rein holding position..w/ no rein there!

Loved the few draftie looking horses the townspeople had! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"Ninety-nine percent of failures come from people who
    have the habit of making excuses." -- George Washington Carver

Member of the drafties/drafties X clique!

The scene where Brego woke Aragorn was not in the book (he never falls off a cliff either) but was very cute.

The Orlando riding lesson was on the "Return to Middle Earth" special...it may repeat again sometime...

Did you guys know Viggo bought Brego and another horse from LOTR? How cute is that?

I did notice the neck rope on Shadowfax atleast once..

I also thought Gimli on the horse (and falling of the horse) was very funny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

-Kris
    -Kristen

It looked like the rope on Shadowfax was used mainly when Gandalf needed something to hold onto [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I'm suprised, though, that they couldn't edit that out, as much other digitizing as they were doing on it!

I'll second loving the horse waking Aragorn, as well as all the riders of Rohan. I was pretty sure in the books, however, that Eowyn rode, too. Or am I just remember incorrectly? Its been a long time since I've read them.

Non-horserelated, anyone else burst into giggles at Gimli asking Aragorn to toss him?

in the next movie... They can't change that part.

The neck strap showed up a few times, but really didn't hurt the movie.

In the books, Faramir decides in the caves that he will let Frodo go on his way and is a much more complete character in the books, horseless though he was.

Warg's were neat. Gollum I thought, was very much like he should be according to the books. I really like the movie, but knowing the books so well makes the movie not as good.

The horses were not a disappointment. I thought the stabling was pretty neat and the tie stalls made it seem more real.

I liked the one liners of Gimli, like when he fell of the horse and said that he did it on purpose. I will be going again this weekend, so I must have liked it.

Pat

There was a LOTR Two Towers thread that gave a link to an article on the LOTR horses. I though that they mentioned that they trained the Andalusion that Gandolf rode to ride without a bridle, so I don't think that there were digital effects going on there.

Lovely horses, lots of draft crosses and horses that reminded me of Irosh horses. Lots of bone and feathers. But I think same article mentioned that all horses used were from New Zealand.

I just saw the movie. Erin, PLEASE let us have OT day or a special LOTR day. PLEASE!! Anyway, as a movie I give it 10. As faithful to the book, maybe 6. Although even I , Tolkein geek since the Nixon administration, have to admit that many of the changes in the movie actually improved it, or at least made it more dramatic and visual. Keeping it horsey, I am sure I saw Ian McKellan gripping a pommel, hidden under his robes, when they rode up to Edoras. Didn't see the whited-out bridle, though. I'll look for it the next time.

The scene with Gimli riding was funny; in the book Gimli doesn't like horses and he doesn't fight from horseback--"an axe is no weapon for a rider". Which makes sense if you think about it. Of course I never understood how you could swing a saber on horseback and not remove your mount's ear, either.

And how in the name of Eorl the Young did they ride down that slope at the end of the battle of Helms' Deep? That was at least 45 degrees!

i'm burbling and i know it and i don't care--s.
    Under carefully controlled conditions of breeding, training, and care, a horse will do whatever it damn well pleases.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There are any number of fantastical creatures in Lord of the Rings and I have seen a few of them recently. Some, like the armies of orcs and goblins, are played by actors and stuntspeople, whilst others, stars like the Balrog, are being created within the computers of WETA's workshops, home of the props and masks and the prosthetics which most of the actors must wear to varying degrees. Gandalf doesn't meet Gollum or Smeagol so what Andy Serkis and Peter Jackson are cooking up between them I'm not privy to.

Not all of Tolkien's creatures are as outlandish as Gollum or Treebeard or the cave troll. Horses are dear to his heart - even the Ringwraith steeds, which may be evil-looking, snorting like devils, their hooves cloven with nails but, like all nags, are only obeying orders. They have been pressed into service and are furious. I'm glad I didn't have to work with them.

More my style is the chestnut Rastus who plays Bill the pony and is adorable. The compliant, ever-licking Rastus is 11 years old, an American quarter horse crossed with Shetland. Led by Samwise (Sean Astin) he reliably carried the Fellowship's baggage and endured the uncomfortable snowstorm of polystyrene and rice flakes when Saruman's agents attacked the nine of us in the Wellington studio en route for Moria. He was less fazed by the tempest than the rest of the cast, even though he didn't have blinkers on. He didn't complain of dust in the eyes or polysterene balls in every bodily crevice. Between takes, as I called for bottled water and a make-up check, Rastus calmly helped himself to the layer of salt which added glitter to the surface of the snow. I wish he had made it into the mines of Moria. He would not have been daunted by all those steps and passageways nor by the rowdy goblins. Indeed I would have trusted him with the ring itself.

Last week, for the last time, I filmed with him or with what was inelegantly referred to in the daily Call Sheet as "Panto Bill" (Rebecca Fitzgerald and Kerry). British Christmas pantomimes often feature a fairytale animal played by an agile actor - Dick Whittington's Cat, Jack's cow, which he sold for the beanstalk seeds or Mother Goose herself. "Cinderella" always boasts a real pony for the transformation scene but a pantomime horse is made of two lissome actors bent double: the lowliest job in theatre is to be the back legs of a horse. In the mountain range above Takaka on Golden Bay (South Island of New Zealand) Rastus couldn't make it into the helicopter that ferried the rest of us up and so panto took over.

Gandalf of course isn't as sentimental as this Englishman, although I had him whispering to the chestnut Clyde who dropped him off at Bag End in the first film's opening scene. Gandalf's equine faith lies other than in the likes of Bill and Clyde. As he tells Pippin: "Shadowfax will have no harness. You do not ride Shadowfax: he is willing to carry you - or not. If he is willing, that is enough. It is then his business to see that you remain on his back, unless you jump off into the air." He is speaking of a marvel and Peter Jackson has cast a white 16 year old Andalusian stallion called Domero who, standing at 16 hands is more than up to the part, at least as far as looks are concerned. His alert ears pivot above his noble skull, his mane is thick and in no need of the false hair that some of the other horses, including Bill, wear in the film.

My trouble is in riding him, as Shadowfax spurns bridle, bit, reins and even a saddle. This might all be safe enough with stable lads and lasses at the ready but often enough I am carrying a hobbit in front and clinging to a three foot six hobbit isn't safe. I am very happy for Basil Clapham (my riding double) to do the galloping in my stead. Indeed the first authentic image of Gandalf that has been broadcast across the Internet (although not from this site) was not me at all but Basil urging Shadowfax toward Helm's Deep - actually not Shadowfax either but his fast galloping double 12 year old gelding called Blanco. When I mount Domero he is generally required to be stationary. Even so the shift of haunches whenever he pulls his weight from one back leg to another can feel seismic aloft and once Fon (doubling for Pippin) and I slowly and safely slid to the soft grit of the lava field surrounding the volcano of Ruapehu.
    Since then we have trotted through an artificial lake to confront Saruman at Orthanc - Saruman (in the person of Christopher Lee) was starring in Star Wars: Episode II across the Tasman Sea in the Olympiad city. So we yelled to a yellow tennis ball representing the mad maia. Domero is controlled offscreen like a circus horse with the visual aid of two whips in the hands of Don Reynolds standing to one side of the camera. Sometimes the signal is reinforced with his name but Domero can walk, stop and stand on his mark, a square meter of plank on which he bangs his hooves. To one side is Blanco who, it seems, is needed to focus Shadowfax's attention, horses being sociable. I can't think why an understudy watching him perform should be considered a comfort. But then Domero -- for all he can recognise "Action" and pre-empt his cue to walk, stop or bang his plank -- has no idea he is acting nor, more to the point, that the heavy weight and hobbit squirming on his spine are trying to act. We manage because Don is persistent and Domero has learnt well over their six months training together. Don Reynolds has worked with many horses in movies but I can't think he admired any of them more than he seems to respect Domero.

I've ridden often enough in movies - D. H. Lawrence loved a canter (Priest of Love film 1979) and as his namesake T. E. I was on the obligatory camel (Ross - TV). Just for five minutes. I was no sooner introduced to the unconcerned handsome beast than I was sat in his comfy saddle and told to drive him like a car. I was just looking for the ignition when the director Cedric Messina shouted for me to gallop toward the camera 100 metres away and "Stop on this mark", a black rock amidst the sand. I kicked and away we went and I didn't fall off, indeed almost stopped where was wanted. Didn't even knock the tripod over. But that was good luck. Horses are dangerous and I don't take them for granted. Roy Kinnear died after falling from one on his film The Four Musketeers.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*EMMA*

i just saw it! Yeah its amazing! Me being totally and comletely tolkien fan! (i have read the silmarillion and did not find it boring when I was 11) I as well was astounded by Legolas's leap! But here is some interesting info for you LOTR fans:
    Viggo Mortinson (Aragorn) fell in love with the horse that played Brego and he bought him and then he is useing him in another movie! I'm so jealuos! Everytime I see the movies thoguh it makes me really upset that I cant be apart of it! its just that kind of movie- Am I the only one who wishes more than anything that she was an elf? *sigh*

I heart Eomer and Legolas (Yes it is I, the future Mrs. Orlando Bloom [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

&lt;center&gt;
    &lt;font color=blue&gt;~Whoever said money couldn't Buy happiness didnt know where to buy a horse!~&lt;/font color&gt;
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hunter88:
    i just saw it! Yeah its amazing! Me being totally and comletely tolkien fan! (i have read the silmarillion and did not find it boring when I was 11) I as well was astounded by Legolas's leap! But here is some interesting info for you LOTR fans:
    Viggo Mortinson (Aragorn) fell in love with the horse that played Brego and he bought him and then he is useing him in another movie! I'm so jealuos! Everytime I see the movies thoguh it makes me really upset that I cant be apart of it! its just that kind of movie- Am I the only one who wishes more than anything that she was an elf? *sigh*
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I want to be an elf very badly! LOL. I have also read the Silmarillion and thought it was fascinating (though the beginning was a little hard to get through). *sigh*

-Kris
    -Kristen

Emma, will you please post the web site from which the Ian article came?

Sonesta Farms Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I did notice that rope once! I think I am going again tomorrow.

I think Viggo Mortenson did most of his riding work. I saw this on a documentary of TTT on TNT, I think.

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

Could someone start a LOTR private topic? That way we won't bother anyone! How do you set up a private topic where a bunch of people are invited?

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak

Oh yes. I love LOTR. I can't wait to see it next week. sniff So don't give any parts away. I've read the books at least 4 times. hehe. I can't wait to see what shadowfax looks like.

"Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."~Dune~

[i]Only great sorrow or great joy can reveal your truth.~ Kahlil Gibran
    My current project of local food/sustainability http://community.fingerlakesfoodie.com

Just saw it. On a dismal and rainy 45f day. Pretty much what the principles faced in the 4 months to film Helms Deep.

A couple of hours and a few flagons of wine later.........sort of still deciding what I thought. Sorting through a complicated movie that works on many levels and touches many different "spots" in my heart. I really found it not what I expected, yet better and more satisfying.

I'll not fault the rider for preferring a neck wire while working sans bridle at a dead gallop, even if it appeared and disappeared. I am so impressed by the glorious full speed work (as opposed to speeding up the film) it's a necessary evil.

But how about the scenes with no bridle? A couple of these bore no trace of airbrushing, just a truely well broke horse.
    And, yeah, that bay that awakened the injured Aragorn was in a plain halter that grew a snaffle and reins. But.......so what? It was glorious. Who cares?

I confess I was in tears when Gandolph whistled for Shadowfax. As I cried when Elves, immortal but could be killed before passing into the west, fell in defence of the Rohirim.
    The culminating scene at Helms Deep may have been digitized to enhance the slope but those horses were rounding and reaching with their necks on a par with any Hunter as they lept into the Orcs and Urak Hai, snappy forelegs too. Yes, the degree of the slope was a reach but that clash at the base with the sunlight behind them made up for it. Another who cares. Glorious.

The "excursion" to Osgiliath was well done if not in the book. Faramir putting aside the threat of his death to pledge his life to Frodo made up for it. Plus that confrontation with the ringwrath on whatever dinosaur from Hell it was riding.....well, not a bad addition.

And the Gollum/Smeagol creature. Arguing between his former Hobbit good Smeagol side and the satanic Gollum threatening to kill them both...............then the ending.......
    "she will kill them yes she will help us"

This was less amazing visual feats and more character building. The relationship between Legolas and Gimli. Wormtongue, dripping evil. Theoden, robbed of life and principles. Eowyn, shieldmaiden of the Mark. Eomer, banished for clinging to the truth. Aragorn.......absolutely glorious.
    Oh and then there were the Ents Hooooom.
    Satisfying indeed.

363 days and counting for the Return of the King..............but I know what that entails.
    Two kleenex movie at least and the end of an age, the passing of much that is good. Not to mention the "she" Shelob-something for your nightmares.

Have to prepare to endure it.

Meanwhile all of you, a movie to enhance the Holidays. To reinforce the notion no matter how bad the odds-YOU HAVE TO TRY. Wiser words were never spoken.

SEE IT.

The Horse World. 2 people, 3 opinions. That's the way it is.

[This message was edited by findeight on Dec. 19, 2002 at 07:49 PM.]

[This message was edited by findeight on Dec. 19, 2002 at 07:52 PM.]

[This message was edited by findeight on Dec. 19, 2002 at 07:54 PM.]
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

(or is it "here, here")

Well said, if mine isn't well written.

Somethings for were illustrated better than the book -- for one the Gollum/Smeagol inner conflict and the understanding why the character turned back to the dark side. The movie enable me to feel the "pity" for the character that both Bilbo and Frodo felt. Perhaps the book deserves a more thorough reading since I fairly flew through anxious to see what happened next.

Sam is a wonderful character, not a static foil to Frodo's grand dynamic ping-pong like change. I really felt how betrayed he must've felt when Frodo/the ring snapped on him.

Aragorn is lovely. I was even more happy to see in the extended DVD, the scene with Elrond where the viewer is able to evesdrop in on Aragorn visiting his mother's Virgin Mary-like statue (grave?). There we are given more insight from into Aragorn's epic hero status -- how he was hidden from Sauron (Uther/Christ/Luke) and the evil ones because he was the Chosen One (the Once and Future King, Jedi Master), how only he could bear the sword of Elendil (Excalibur/light saber/ruby slippers), (how come we didn't see it reforged, or is that the next movie), and his Refusal of his Call to regain the throne.

Ah, I love archetypes! Hail to Joseph Conrad!

"And Max said, 'NO!'"
    -- Maurice Sendak