The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Having my first lesson in a LOONNNGGG time. So nervous!

So I haven't had a lesson in about 5 years or so. Just the way my life worked out. One horse was getting too old, the other horse too green, then too lame. Finally have a horse that I am excited about. Have had him 2 years, and he has been under saddle for about 1.5 years. No one has ever ridden this horse besides myself. I feel like we are far enough along to start riding with someone.

Well I am terrified, nervous and really excited! I know some of my thoughts/worries are ridiculous, but what if! It's even more nerve racking because I brought this one along without any help, and with everyone telling me I was crazy for trying.

Thanks for reading, I just needed to get that out to people who would understand how and why this is so important to me. Please share some success stories or funny ones! Or advice... LOL

Here's some pictures. Need to get some of us riding...
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28480...03278208epRcJA
    Last edited by Showjumper28; Jun. 15, 2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Added link
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Exciting! I look forward to hearing out it goes. I hope you know you can't post threads like this without pictures!!!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Very exciting for you and your handsome boy!

I too bought a young, green 4 yr old to ride because I wanted the experience of bringing one along and was told I was crazy. There were times, when the learning curve wasn't budging (for him and for me), that I thought they might be right but we hung in there. When the light goes on and everything clicks, it is the BEST feeling in the world.

Have a wonderful time with your boy and remember, it's all about the journey!
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." --Ghandi

You will be fine, handsome boy. I had my first lesson this past winter in nearly 30 years, so 5 should be a piece of cake! (also on a greenbean) Please let us know how it goes.

I put off returning to riding because it had been so long- i couldn't find the time/$ for about a year and a half, then i was so convinced that it had been sooooo long since I had last ridden that it would be 'just horribly ugly'... so I avoided it for even longer. How silly I was! My lesson went well enough (the subsequent lessons even better) and I was SO happy to have 'bucked up' and done it!eta, of course! I forgot to even say, pooooint is, i think you'll find your nerves are for nought and you may remember how enjoyable lessons can be!
    Last edited by bits619; Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Added

How'd it go???

Ooooo yay!!!

How did it go?!
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

My lesson is this afternoon. I can't decide if I am excited or nervous. Probably both. LOL Will give a full update when I get back.
    I love my Dublin-ator

I'm thinking of you on your lesson day! It's so fun to learn new things. I just switched trainers and after 17 yrs of various trainers, I am still learning. I love it! I am working up my nerve to enter a show after a long hiatus! Enjoy!

Soooo..... My lesson went really well. Dublin was extremely well behaved and so nonchalant about everything. LOL The trainer touched on a little bit of everything. But really focused on all the things I knew I needed to work on. Especially my transitions. He did push me outside of my comfort zone just enough to show me I am holding both myself and my horse back. And made me realize that I do know what I am doing and that I can stop worrying about doing the wrong thing. Love that Dublin did things he has never done before (a line of bounces, cantering into lines of multiple jumps) without blinking an eye. Our only main concern is Dublins lack of carefulness, but I wonder if that will improve with more conditioning and proper work on the flat. He did say that our basics were solid. I am so excited to go again! I have plenty of homework and can't wait to step up to the challenge.

I am thinking of going to a show this weekend. Dublin has never been, so I think it is time for him to go. Woohoo!
    I love my Dublin-ator

Great! Lessons are fun, glad it went so well!

You should go to a show! If you want to show now, great. Even if not, still take him to get used to it and do warm-up. It'll be good for both of you!
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!