The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Pull the head one way or the other, go forward to a phone and call someone to take the beast away. It costs just as much to keep a good horse as it does to keep a puke. I wouldn't ride or let anyone ride a confirmed rearer. That's basically what happened to Brian Jones and look what happened to him.

Betsy
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

To everyone who said a horse can't go forward and rear...I know of one who can!

A contesting horse at my old stables would rear and walk or hop forward on her hind legs. She was an Arab/Appaloosa cross and was crazy! They finally got rid of her after she fell on the rider for the third time and the saddle horn (western saddle) broke ribs.

but to my knowledge they need to have both hind feet planted (no moving) in order to lift their two front feet off the ground (aka rear)

IOW they can't rear WHILE going forward.

See the difference?

Love ya JumpHigh83, but gotta disagree here....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It costs just as much to keep a good horse as it does to keep a puke. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you know how to ride through a rear and prevent it from occuring again...you've won the battle!

I wouldn't trade my horse for anything else in the world. Yep, he can rear...but since I now know how to prevent the rear from occuring...I can smell a potential rear from 500 miles away and am able to beat it!

[This message was edited by VTrider on Apr. 25, 2001 at 09:22 AM.]

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Yup, I'm with VT - a lot of horses try this out - either through fear, pain or stubborness (and while I will make sure that I eliminate the cause of pain or fear, that doesn't mean I won't punish the behavior). But if you catch them early and show them the foolishness of their ways, problem is usually solved.

Now a hardened, confirmed rearer who is unreformable, or will always test new riders is a different story. But who knows, maybe if the first time he tried it, somebody had attended to business rather than sending him down the road, he very well may have not turned into an unreformable character!

And just to clarify, I don't think of it as going forward, but more of making sure his feet keep moving, especially the hind feet! A horse might could bounce forward out of a rear, but not if he can't plant his hind feet!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

CndRdr describes a scenario that I know happened: The horse was in mid-rear, the rider used the spur and spin technique, and the horse flipped over and landed on the rider. Both were seriously injured. The horse hit his head, blacked out, and needless to say, is not right. The rider had to have serious knee reconstructive surgery.

The spinning technique works if, like DMK said, you know your horse. You have to be quick and spin before the horse gets completely off his/her front end. Thinking about it for more than a second is too long.

full rear I don't DO anything other than try to figure out IF they are going over - cause then I'm gonna BAIL OUT (aka fall off with intent).

I don't think the posters were saying to spin them once they were up there and "wavin' to the crowd". [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I don't think the posters were saying to spin them once they were up there and "wavin' to the crowd". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFLMAO....you mean I am the only one that does that? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

you got it klu!

Just to clarify, Lisa - if you catch 'em before they go up, that's the best, but spin 'em when they hit the ground again if you don't! They will put 2 and 2 together quick enough [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Me, I just hang on for dear life and pray when they are in the air [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I didn't thing the posters were implying that, either... It was just something CdnRider posted that got me thinking... oops, that hurt... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

VTRider-I'm not saying that you did that...sorry for the miscommunication. I was just saying that a little less inexperienced person could be told to spin a horse around, but they may not have the timing right and the result would be a fall. I guess what I was saying in my last post was "What if" a person were to spin in mid-rear. Sorry for the confusion! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Now, now, Lisa... we have HAD that discussion about thinking. I'd ask you not to do that anymore... don't want to set off any smoke alarms [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] ... is that the fire truck I'm hearing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> we have HAD that discussion about thinking. I'd ask you not to do that anymore <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I hadn't met you in person I'd suspect you were some sort of BNT!!

heeheehee [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ROTFLMAO!!!!

And was working with an excellent trainer. We worked the mare in long lines and she would flip herself over and not give a d*&^. She had no self preservation and I should have just turned her out for the rest of her life. Couldn't sell her - liability.

Anyway, we did draw reins which DID work; but then again they were never used when jumping (yikes), were always snap in front and low onto a special girth attachment (lower than a breastplate but higher than the dee on a training girth), and NO ONE else but me and the trainer roder her. She was a flawless moving beautiful mare with a great jump - and for these reasons we tried to make her work out. But the rearing was always just under the surface and when she decided to evade anything it was the first trick out of her hat. TOO DANGEROUS. I decided there were other horses to be had and while this idiot might look beautiful and never lose a hack, pretty is as pretty does. A rearer is and always will be IMHO.

My suggestion if you have a rearer...stay with the motion while the horse is rearing and then sell it as soon as you can!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

We've had a couple of horses that reared .... but both were three year olds at the time, they both did it when they wanted to go see another horse and the rider insisted that they carry on with the work they were doing ... was more like a spoilt little kid having a temper tantrum .... we did the crop handle on the poll .... took just the once with the mare and she never reared again - went on to bucking! and the stallion took three or four times then never did it again.

When my horse reared, he was not nose up in the air. THhs, I felt comfortable pulling his head to my knee because that made him go back down. Then I added the inside leg kick kick kick as a punishment.

I think the running martingale helped lots, because it gave me downward leverage at the same time as I was pulling his head around to my let knee.

It's been 6 weeks or so since the cowboys were here, about 4 weeks since he last reared, and I am now working with a standing martingale. Can't do the hunters with the running martingale. I will use the running martingale if we go out on the trails, or when we try the beach again.

Do you, perchance, happen to train with Art Coomes?