The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone have the cure....

for the baby horse fever?

I am itchy for a young horse project....as in, obsessing over it. I go through this every year or two (last time it was cured by deciding to sell Vernon and shopping for his "replacement"). I usually get this way when my main horse starts to feel pretty "made". Toby is going fantastically and I'm having a BLAST with him. I have never ridden a horse that gives me so much confidence. But I miss bringing up a youngin' and going though all the "firsts!"

I know exactly what I want, and unfortunately, between my FB news feed and all the great sites to window shop on, I'm making my fever worse. I have some logistics to deal with and really am not at a point where I can take on a second horse. BUT, I may be good in a couple of months....maybe by the end of the summer????

So, does anyone know how to cure this? Or are you all going to be a bunch of enablers and just make it totally incurable???

Wish I could help. I've been itching for a bigger, greener project for a while now. My cure is still being unemployed and DH glaring at me when I look at horse ads.

Wish I could help but I've been caught on more than one occasion looking at the CANTER listings for a young, green prospect. Not that I can afford another horse at the moment, nor would I have the time to ride two every day but that doesn't stop me I guess my cure is the fact that my boarding barn only has four stalls that are full of people that I get along really well with so there's not exactly space for another anyway, and I wouldn't want anybody to leave anyhow.
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Of course you need a youngster or 2 or 3
    How can you not smile at youngsters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8xulgUZoM8
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Cure for baby fever? Keep the damn things at your house and watch them methodically and gleefully destroy your barn and fences, bite by bite, kick by kick, rampage by rampage.

The cure is temporary, alas . . . my latest homebred/born here hooligans are two now and destroying their OWNERS' barns, and I had said "never again", but I have a mare here to foal for next year somehow anyway.
    Click here before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by horsetales View Post
    Of course you need a youngster or 2 or 3
    How can you not smile at youngsters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8xulgUZoM8
    Very cute, and definitely smile worthy, but, thankfully, a little young for my taste! I'm thinking more in the 3-5 age range. I've done the itty-bitty baby thing, and I just don't have the patience! (I gave her to my cousin when she was 15 months old, then took her back as a late 3 year old...much more fun ).

I feel you, yellowbritches. My Advanced horse has felt 'made' for a long time (and he's green at the Advanced level, which is fun, but not exactly the same), and I've had the itch for a young one for a long time. It's worse this time because said pony is on vacay in KY for the next six months, so I have nothing at all to ride. Unfortunately, while I would have the funds to get something young and ride it for the next six months, I won't have time or money for two horses once little D gets out to VA for me.

It's usually made better when I browse CANTER listings because I'm so incredibly picky I usually don't find anything I want. Unfortunately, this time, the very first listing I went to was my dream 5 year old. Now I can't stop thinking about him!

If you find it, will you share it with me? I'm going to look at a 4y/o tomorrow.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Me too, YB. It is a bad itch for someone "my age"....probably twice your age...but I don't want a TB CROSS. I don't want a WB (ever!) I don't want a draft cross. I want an OTTB, 4 or 5 years old. Green as grass. Hot. Smart. Athletic. What do I do? I'm only getting older. Granted my 9 year old is still learning, still green, still spooky (and coming back from a SDFT right now ;-/) so I really shouldn't be thinking about a new one at all except that I haven't ridden since the 1st of April......and what if he DOESN'T come back???? bah. This disease is a drag........I'll never cure it......I'll never out grow it........I do love it.......
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I have a CANTER horse here that I bet is right up your alley. He sounds a lot like your Toby. Boy does he LOVE to jump. He isn't a show stopper right now but something tells me he is going to be. He is just all heart and tries so hard. He is growing so I can't wait to see what he turns out to be.

I'm seriously only saved by the continuous flow of CANTER MA horses in my barn and even at that I have lately been considering a personal resale horse as my horse is laid up. Smack me now!

It must be going around. I have like 5 CANTER listings saved. Maybe it is that my horse isn't so green anymore, but I can't explain it, because I don't even like the first 6 months or so off the track that much.

What is keeping it in check for me, so far, is that I have to sell one first. But it's not like I don't have an extra stall, if I chose to go clean it out . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    I have a CANTER horse here that I bet is right up your alley. He sounds a lot like your Toby. Boy does he LOVE to jump. He isn't a show stopper right now but something tells me he is going to be. He is just all heart and tries so hard. He is growing so I can't wait to see what he turns out to be.

I'm seriously only saved by the continuous flow of CANTER MA horses in my barn and even at that I have lately been considering a personal resale horse as my horse is laid up. Smack me now!
    Well, you're just E-vel.

None of you are terribly encouraging, actually. The thing that keeps me back is my very limited funds thanks to lots of entry fees and plane tickets to Chicago for vacation, and not wanting to foist a (likely) fresh off the track youngster on the fill in help while I'm in the windy city. I have plenty of stalls, lots of turn out, a friend willing to trim/shoe for cost and beer.....oh, good Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Well, you're just E-vel.

I have plenty of stalls, lots of turn out, a friend willing to trim/shoe for cost and beer.....oh, good Lord.
    Then what are you waiting for? It's just one, little, teeny weeny, itsy bitsy horse. What's the harm . . .

You know darn well we're just a big ol' bunch of enablers here on COTH! Keep us posted.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

yb -

could you foster a young horse? Like for Canter or someother group...

Benefit- you don't own it; they will pay you for upkeep; you get to have fun with a young horse and give it a good start on its new life.

Negatives- you don't own it, so you can't keep the sale proceeds; its a foster so you don't get a commission

A friend of mine has done this a few times over the years. He's found fostering and rehabbing/ retraining to be rewarding.

That said if you want to buy a young horse, and can't really afford it now, wait until fall. Having a youngster will give you something to do over the winter!

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post

Ha! I was going to suggest she check out Love.

Last time I emailed you about a horse I just really thought was a nice one... you bought him. I think perhaps you know who your resale project should be now!
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I can find you a young horse......especially if it keeps you further away with those googly eyes you flashed at the Peteykins!!!

~Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I have come to the realization that we are all like those crazy people who just keep having kid after kid after kid, except with horses...
    Blog: http://movingonupeventing.blogspot.com/

Don't believe the hype.

Egads.

Earlier today, I started poking around on the local rescue/rehoming sites, just to see if there were any young OTTBs.

I have a 4 year-old OTTB but he ran through the normally several-year training program in one year with me, so I sent him off to Southern Pines to do some YEH and eventing with Glenbaer.

That was in Feb. Four months later, and I'm hitting the listings again. No self-control. I'm telling myself over and over again that I have two (hopefully three) foals due in spring '13, so I should just wait it out.

I suppose I should just succumb to the higher powers, admit I have a problem, and join my local chapter of OTTBAnonymous.

But here I am, among the enablers, when I really should be looking for a OTTBA sponsor. Anyone know one?

It took back surgery (mine) to stop my yearning. Luckily my Petey is just quirky enough to keep life interesting.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Default Ha, YB!

Me, too!
    I'm having so much fun with Green, that I'm ready to add another to the herd. Looking for something a bit younger, as well...3-5 years old.

Like you, plenty of room for another one and the grass is lucious, so lots to eat! Either that, or you need to find me another field boarder!!! or maybe both!!!
    One thing you can give and still keep is your word.